60 kWh LEAF Introduction Placed on HOLD

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
webeleafowners said:
Well, there are a couple of advantages, one being that there is virtually no vampire drain. Leave your Tesla at an airport for 6 weeks and it’s pretty much a brick. A Leaf might lose 3 percent of charge. There may be more but not sure.

It would probably also lose 3 percent of capacity, if left near full in hot weather. Otherwise about 1%.

webeleafowners said:
Well, there are a couple of advantages, one being that there is virtually no vampire drain. Leave your Tesla at an airport for 6 weeks and it’s pretty much a brick. A Leaf might lose 3 percent of charge. There may be more but not sure.
I lose about 2-3 miles a day from vampire drain. Starting from a full charge of 300 miles range, 42 days of storage would reduce range by 84 - 126 miles.

Please stop the FUD

SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:
I lose about 2-3 miles a day from vampire drain. Starting from a full charge of 300 miles range, 42 days of storage would reduce range by 84 - 126 miles.

Please stop the FUD

Its basic information not FUD. I guess it would be rather convenient to store your Tesla around the corner from a charging station but this is not intuitive to many.

SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:

Please stop the FUD

I don't even loose that in 2-3 days. Its easy to mitigate. Besides it's not a LEAF either.

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:

Please stop the FUD

Its basic information not FUD. I guess it would be rather convenient to store your Tesla around the corner from a charging station but this is not intuitive to many.

There is so much misunderstanding on this topic from both Tesla and non-Tesla owners it's laughable. The vast majority is FUD. Regardless it is a non-issue for those that have a clue.

On the other hand I'm not sure Nissan will be selling many EVs in the future based on their poor design decisions. The only thing that fuels the fumes of their sales are the incentives which they should have for some time based on the small sales numbers. This should drag on for a long time based on the release date of the new car and the trickle against the remaining cars sold. Should be some great deals on LEAFs again year end and then the cycle will repeat after the initial sales of the 60 model drop off sharply after must-have LEAF buyers get theirs. Sadly, if Nissan had made changes a while back they could have dominated the market rather that have one toe in for CARB credits and NRE recovery.

EVDRIVER said:
I don't even loose that in 2-3 days. Its easy to mitigate.
I'd love to see my losses drop to 1 mile a day, if that is what you mean.

Do you have a trick to share ?

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
EVDRIVER said:
I don't even loose that in 2-3 days. Its easy to mitigate.
I'd love to see my losses drop to 1 mile a day, if that is what you mean.

Do you have a trick to share ?

I think differences in climate may be against you

It's not climate related it's check in and 12V cycling.

EVDRIVER said:
It's not climate related it's check in and 12V cycling.
Right. There is an idle state and a sleeping state (and a deep sleep?). My son and I use TeslaFI.COM which 'checks in' but there are options in it to let your car sleep. My son's Model 3 is sleeping regularly after it is idle for a short while.

Example from TeslaFI.COM
t0ulssK.jpg

scottf200 said:
The 60 kWh LEAF is supposed to be air condition cooled similar to the e-NV200 ... which supposedly handles multiple DC charging fine.

Title: The 2019 Nissan Leaf e-Plus Will Get Air-Conditioned Battery Cooling, Not Liquid Cooling
https://youtu.be/EnNGmessn0I?t=204
FWIW I read air blown past with a fan.

Woohoo! Nissan engineering is really stepping up to the plate, or they were given a $9.99 budget per car.

SageBrush said:
scottf200 said:
The 60 kWh LEAF is supposed to be air condition cooled similar to the e-NV200 ... which supposedly handles multiple DC charging fine.

Title: The 2019 Nissan Leaf e-Plus Will Get Air-Conditioned Battery Cooling, Not Liquid Cooling

Woohoo! Nissan engineering is really stepping up to the plate, or they were given a $9.99 budget per car.
I would never buy an EV cooled by A/C'd air or just air vs liquid but LGChem is pretty reputable and must have approved the 60 kWh LEAF cooling ... they wouldn't mess with their (LGChem) reputation.

https://insideevs.com/heres-nissan-employs-active-air-cooling-e-nv200-battery-pack/
Nissan issued this statement on the active air-cooling/heating system in the e-NV200 battery pack:
“As in LEAF, the battery pack comprises 48 modules with a nominal capacity of 24 kWh, but it incorporates a bespoke cooling pack that operates automatically during quick charging.”

“Due to more compact packaging and because e-NV200’s duty cycle is likely to be quite different to LEAF – it is anticipated that the vehicle will be operated intensively during the working day and there will be greater use of Quick Chargers to minimise down time – cooled air from the vehicle’s heating and ventilation system is channelled over the battery cells to ensure optimum charging conditions at all times.”

“Conversely, in cold weather, the vehicle’s HVAC system wafts warm air over the battery, again to ensure it reaches its optimum operating temperature as quickly as possible.”

SageBrush said:
scottf200 said:

Yes! And as you know, that system has already been a failure in hot climates with the Kia Soul. Most of the time, a vehicle just sits, and as we know, it is during this time the battery gets toasted.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Quiz; What is the optimum temperature for 2018 LEAF batteries for fast charging?

Its higher than you think ;)

You would have to qualify “optimum”.

Optimum for high speed is a very hot battery
Optimum for long life is a cool battery

No rocket science needed.

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Quiz; What is the optimum temperature for 2018 LEAF batteries for fast charging?

Correct but the question was about "fast" charging ;)

DaveinOlyWA said:
TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

So you figured the fast battery degradation did not need to mentioned.

So helpful

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
TonyWilliams said:

So you figured the fast battery degradation did not need to mentioned.

So helpful

I think that has had plenty of publicity. But its Winter now and priorities change.

Nubo said:
I don't see Ghosn as the reason for the delay, but as the reason the LEAF effort persevered as long as it has. I've always had the impression that Nissan were of two minds when it came to LEAF, at least outside of Japanese market. The pro-EV mind is gone. The foot-draggers remain.
The foot draggers are at Nissan. They came out with the Leaf in 2011. Since that time a company that had never done more than modify a car has released three electric cars, to generally widspread acclaim. And the only thing Nissan accomplished over this period? Increased the range of its car by 50%.

Nissan was supposed to kick this EV revolution off but they have not put more than a modicum of attention to it since they started.

Back