This has to be a first!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
occ said:
So is that true, that it is illegal, EVEN in private property like Costco parking lots?
If the property owner so wishes to enforce it, yes.

Personally, I would rather have those vehicles towed to a distant location on the lot instead of towing it to the towing co where the towing charge would be more expensive and a MUCH bigger headache for the person getting towed. Do towing companies do that? Or do they prefer to hold cars hostage so they can collect more money?

Are you kidding. They are in business to make money not move cars about for free, they would never get paid otherwise. If someone is stupid enough to park in a spot they don't belong they deserve to be towed. If you park in an EV spot and don't belong there and you don't care then you will be taking a chance. There is nothing more irritating then needing a charge and some idiot is in the spot. People even bitch when they completely block your driveway and you can't get out and they get mad when you have them towed, I suppose one should wait to leave when it is convenient for them? One guy told me he did not see the driveway or garage 5 feet away, if he missed that he should not be driving.

I got a ticket for parking in the EV parking spot at Ralphs the day after I got my Leaf. Their parking lot is monitored by Santa Monica PD. I figured I'd be ok since it was a Sunday night and I was only in for 10 min. Whoever it was was pretty stealth! Actually, I'm still not sure if I actually owe money or if it's just a warning. I keep trying to go online to pay it and the citation number doesn't come up. Maybe I lucked out. But until you get a sticker for EV parking, I'd avoid it at Costco.

malloryk said:
But until you get a sticker for EV parking, I'd avoid it at Costco.

A sticker for EV parking. Doesn't the fact that your plugged in kinda say it all? I've not heard of stickers of any kind required for parking. Can you add anything Mallory?

There is a Sticker topic.

Some charging/parking spots in CA are sign-posted to require a CA EV-Sticker, much like an HOV sticker, somewhat like Handicapped parking spaces.

Those spaces NOT posted for the sticker PRESUMABLY do not require it, but some new law could require it at all charge-spots.

Sorry I know this is OT! Well, if the chargers haven't been updated, then you couldn't charge a Leaf there anyway. It depends on the laws of where you live so check those signs. The citation I got says 3 things (I was parked in the spot with the outdated large-paddle charger): Elc Veh Prkg only/SCV/GCV, next to elec bay-cv, no activity/no charging. So I wonder if that means if I do have the correct sticker, but I'm not charging (because I can't), would I still get a ticket?

If you are going to fight the ticket, go take some pictures,
some overviews and some clearly readable closeups of the signs.

Then, get prints made at Costco or some such place
so that they are easier to show the judge.

Other than that,
I say onkar's new baby, a "first" for any LEAF owner, I think.

Cheers, Gary

I had my first wild Leaf sighting today!

Driving northbound on the 5 through Encinitas and Leucadia. I was half asleep at the wheel after a long day at work and was passing the silver Leaf (with Eco package & Mossy Plates) before I even realized it was there.

I slowed down, tooted my horn and waved to the smiling young lady behind the wheel.

We drove together about 5 or 10 miles northbound doing about 65mph until I exited at Palamar Airport Rd. Both of us were wearing our EV grins.

I saw a white one on the Mission ramp for the 880 this morning...this makes my second "wild" sighting.

Back