EV Car Range in Winter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanuckEVDriver

Drove from Ottawa to Prescott, Ontario and back yesterday. Was glad that there was an L3 station at the Ultramar on Edward Street and 401, and also a few in Ottawa on the return home, because even with a full charge, I made it to my destinations with barely 20% capacity both ways. It was -15 degrees Celsius plus wind-chill though.

I was initially concerned about the capacity of my newish Leaf, in the Winter. But then I found this story (from January 2018, about a year old), that alleviated my concerns somewhat...

https://electrek.co/2018/01/02/electric-car-range-affected-extreme-cold-they-start/

So we can expect about 50% loss in battery capacity when it's very cold out, on highway driving. (was driving about 105 kph yesterday to ensure that I wasn't holding up traffic)

50% is about right for frigid weather. You can mitigate that if you can find a way to greatly reduce heater use, but that would still be about 35% loss of range. Search this forum for 'Best, least-Known Tips & Tricks'. I'll bump it up again, too.

CanuckEVDriver said:
So we can expect about 50% loss in battery capacity when it's very cold out, on highway driving
You would be a really good candidate for trying the grill block aeromod.

Do a Google search for more info...

Code:
grill block site:mynissanleaf.com

One cheap method is to use foam insulation that's used on pipes and retro fit that to the grill. It won't be perfect, but you only need the foam tubing, a box cutter, and some patience ;)

The grille block / heater insulation makes the biggest difference on pre-'13 Leafs. I used a block for years on my 2013 and it made little if any difference.

Back