Tsiah
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:52 am
Delivery Date: 01 Oct 2017
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: people getting rid of their Leafs/EVs/PHEVs and going back to ICEVs

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:53 am

Dooglas wrote: What is the solution to that? Think about the intended use before deciding on a method and terms of purchase or lease.
Then I'd buy the parts and fix it myself. Nissan won't sell parts. You have to pay them to swap the pack you can't (to my knowledge) open the pack, replace dead cells and reseal it because opening it damages the case of the pack... Even if you could get the cells.
I didn't anticipate/calculate the number of miles I was actually driving. I just calculated that it was costing me almost as much in gas to drive an old Subaru as it would to make my car payment.

Why is it such a thorn in your side that I'm trying to sell my car before it loses significant capacity and has so many miles that the warranty is insignificant for another owner?
If I can't sell for what I owe, I won't sell it.

Dooglas
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:08 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 314779
Location: Oregon City, OR

Re: people getting rid of their Leafs/EVs/PHEVs and going back to ICEVs

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:14 am

Tsiah wrote:Why is it such a thorn in your side that I'm trying to sell my car before it loses significant capacity and has so many miles that the warranty is insignificant for another owner? If I can't sell for what I owe, I won't sell it.
It was you who started the discussion. And in the end, it is no skin off my nose. You are exactly right - it is your decision. Consider your needs, consider your alternatives, and make your choice.
2013 Leaf SV - lease ended, 2016 Leaf S30 - purchased

SageBrush
Posts: 4715
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: people getting rid of their Leafs/EVs/PHEVs and going back to ICEVs

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:17 pm

Dooglas wrote:
Tsiah wrote:Why is it such a thorn in your side that I'm trying to sell my car before it loses significant capacity and has so many miles that the warranty is insignificant for another owner? If I can't sell for what I owe, I won't sell it.
It was you who started the discussion. And in the end, it is no skin off my nose. You are exactly right - it is your decision. Consider your needs, consider your alternatives, and make your choice.
You did not write what he wanted to read. He was looking for affirmation and not advice.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Tsiah
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:52 am
Delivery Date: 01 Oct 2017
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: people getting rid of their Leafs/EVs/PHEVs and going back to ICEVs

Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:10 pm

SageBrush wrote: You did not write what he wanted to read. He was looking for affirmation and not advice.
Maybe to an extent... But it seems to bother him that I've become concerned about the cost of battery replacement and that I'm considering selling over that.

SageBrush
Posts: 4715
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: people getting rid of their Leafs/EVs/PHEVs and going back to ICEVs

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Tsiah wrote:
SageBrush wrote: You did not write what he wanted to read. He was looking for affirmation and not advice.
Maybe to an extent... But it seems to bother him that I've become concerned about the cost of battery replacement and that I'm considering selling over that.
No, he regrets wasting his time giving you good advice
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Tsiah
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:52 am
Delivery Date: 01 Oct 2017
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: people getting rid of their Leafs/EVs/PHEVs and going back to ICEVs

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:01 am

SageBrush wrote:
Tsiah wrote:
SageBrush wrote: You did not write what he wanted to read. He was looking for affirmation and not advice.
Maybe to an extent... But it seems to bother him that I've become concerned about the cost of battery replacement and that I'm considering selling over that.
No, he regrets wasting his time giving you good advice
:roll:

EatsShootsandLeafs
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Re: people getting rid of their Leafs/EVs/PHEVs and going back to ICEVs

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:24 am

I turned in my 2012 Leaf in mid 2014, about half way through its lease and replaced with an ICE. That ICE was replaced with a hybrid, which was just last year replaced with a car that gets 25 MPG on premium.

Why? The range on the Leaf was a @*#&ing joke. In the winter its range was so terrible I just got sick of dealing with it. Cold soaked battery with well below freezing temps and daring to use the heat the battery just died too fast to be taken seriously.

I had big interest on a model 3 for two reasons: 1) No range issues (I would only use it in my city/around home), 2) Power. Got sick of Tesla's endless dicking around/lying about timeline on the standard range car, so replaced it with a gas guzzler last summer.

The new Leaf has mostly resolved the range issue--I think I could do with it, since I only would use it around town, but it's still a laughably goofy looking car with no power. Tesla is the only company making EVs right now that don't look like an econobox (Jag recently joined in, too).

User avatar
IssacZachary
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789
Location: Gunnison, CO, USA

Re: people getting rid of their Leafs/EVs/PHEVs and going back to ICEVs

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:30 pm

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:I turned in my 2012 Leaf in mid 2014, about half way through its lease and replaced with an ICE...
Why? The range on the Leaf was a @*#&ing joke. In the winter its range was so terrible I just got sick of dealing with it.
Ya, you poor early adopters got the short end of the stick. :( The 100 mile range Leaf that was promised really wasn't a 100 mile range car at all… unless you only drove it at 40mph... on flat ground... only during the summer… with the A/C off... and replaced your car every year or two... For some reason they didn't put those details in the fine print. :|

But I think anyone looking into a Leaf now should be able to find out what they are getting themselves into. ;) I did anyhow. I knew how far it would go. I knew how much it would be affected by the cold. I knew it would degrade at a fairly easy to estimate rate based off my climate and driving habits. I knew the car would depreciate rather quickly too. I also knew how much I could save in fuel and maintenance. All that information led me to buy a car that we enjoyed very much and miss now that we don't have it. If my circumstances hadn't changed, we'd still be driving it. :D

The one thing that I didn't know is that the price to change out the battery would increase instead of decrease. :x I knew that someday I'd have to change out the battery. And I had that figured into my total cost to own calculations. At around $5,000 a pop it just meant saving a bit more every month, about what I save in fuel, so that when the time comes I could just hand over the cash and keep driving. But when it jumped to more than $8,000, that really threw me for a loop. It wasn't the reason I got rid of the car, it still ran fine with 11 bars after 5 years. But it wasn't pleasant news to be sure! :!:

If my circumstances change to where I don't have to drive so far I'd be tempted to get a Leaf again. :) But Nissan's battery replacement pricing is a turnoff for me. :? Maybe if I could get a lease on a new Leaf for less than $300 a month without a huge down payment (is that possible) and could trade it in before any warranties expire, I might do it. But I would need to lessen my driving from 30,000 miles a year down to something that would fit within a lease agreement first.

For now, I still have my 40amp EVSE out in the parking lot waiting for that next EV some time in the future. :mrgreen:
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CURRENT

vvk
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:42 am
Delivery Date: 30 Sep 2015

Re: people getting rid of their Leafs/EVs/PHEVs and going back to ICEVs

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 am

IssacZachary wrote:
EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:I turned in my 2012 Leaf in mid 2014, about half way through its lease and replaced with an ICE...
Why? The range on the Leaf was a @*#&ing joke. In the winter its range was so terrible I just got sick of dealing with it.
Ya, you poor early adopters got the short end of the stick. :( The 100 mile range Leaf that was promised really wasn't a 100 mile range car at all… unless you only drove it at 40mph... on flat ground... only during the summer… with the A/C off... and replaced your car every year or two... For some reason they didn't put those details in the fine print. :|

But I think anyone looking into a Leaf now should be able to find out what they are getting themselves into. ;) I did anyhow. I knew how far it would go. I knew how much it would be affected by the cold. I knew it would degrade at a fairly easy to estimate rate based off my climate and driving habits. I knew the car would depreciate rather quickly too. I also knew how much I could save in fuel and maintenance. All that information led me to buy a car that we enjoyed very much and miss now that we don't have it. If my circumstances hadn't changed, we'd still be driving it. :D :mrgreen:
I just bought a used Leaf after two years of Tesla Model S ownership. Bought it as a third car. So far, I can see why people are frustrated with the range. You really must change your driving habits when driving the Leaf. With my Model S I can drive it 90 mph all day long without too much impact on range or battery temp/life. I can also supercharge it repeatedly on a long trip in 100 degree weather. Using the 10 kW heater provides immediate heat in cold weather and is not really a concern for range, except in some edge cases. The Model S is also a lot more convenient as far as interacting with the car, remote access, etc. Having said all this, I will say that I am really loving my 20015 Leaf S. It is a refreshingly simple car. The seating position is much higher than either my Model S or my 550i. It is SO much easier to get into and out of! I love the high ground clearance and the well damped suspension that is significantly more comfortable than either one of my other cars. The seats are not good, though -- not enough upper back support. Driving the Leaf is like a video game -- I enjoy wringing every bit of range from my battery. When I bought it, I had a 70 mile drive to get home, so I was all prepared to stop on the way to quick charge. It turns out, I was able to comfortably make it home with plenty of range left -- that was a pleasant surprise! My average consumption is 4.3 and going up.

My biggest complaint is the looks -- I really wish it wasn't so dorky looking :) The other thing I really don't like is the embarrassing beeping in reverse. That got really old on the first day -- I immediately bought LeafSpy and turned it off. Phew, that was annoying!

Oilpan4
Gold Member
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: people getting rid of their Leafs/EVs/PHEVs and going back to ICEVs

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:32 am

Hopefully I'm done buying gas and diesel for the most part.
I don't miss those pay day fill ups putting $50 to $100 in my diesel suburban.
I still buy a little gas for my lawn mower and my diesel tractor. I do still have my old diesel suburban but I only put fuel in it maybe once a year and it not even anywhere near empty when I do.
2011 white SL leaf with 2014 batt.
Chargers: Panasonic brick moded for 240v, duosida 16a 240v and a 10kw setec portable CHAdeMO
Location: 88103

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”