Response to EPA FOIA Request

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
AndyH said:
I haven't seen a current J1634 test procedure document but have a copy of the older spec, which required a continuous run thru multiple test cycles until the battery is depleted.
See the EPA_test_procedure_for_EVs-PHEVs-1-13-2011.pdf that OP links to. It gives exactly how the test was done (I've that text in the first page) - they run till the car can no longer keep pace. Then recharge to figure out the energu consumption from the wall. That is what they use to give kwh/100 mile stat.
Right - read that. The actual J.... spec outlines the gory details of vehicle weight, that tires can be shaved, tire pressure, etc. I'd like to know exactly why the weight difference between 'curb' and 'as tested' and haven't found it yet.

AndyH said:
Right - read that. The actual J.... spec outlines the gory details of vehicle weight, that tires can be shaved, tire pressure, etc. I'd like to know exactly why the weight difference between 'curb' and 'as tested' and haven't found it yet.
I was wondering what you were saying ... got it.

Might they be using the old test doc still ?

Next year they will be making big changes as we know, and perhaps thats when they start using the new tests.

Isn't the curb weight something like 3300 pounds? So an additional ~400 pounds could be two or three adults plus a bit of cargo.

While I understand where the 0.7 multiplier comes from, I'm not convinced it's truly appropriate for EVs. (Docs here - PDF). It is a very broad brush they paint with.

AndyH said:
Both cars use 'flat' laminated lithium ion cells, and both are a LiMn variant.

Intro to Volt Battery from GM:
http://media.gm.com/content/dam/Media/microsites/product/volt/docs/battery_101.pdf

The Leaf service manual identifies the motor in this way:
• The traction motor contains a compact, lightweight, high output, high efficiency “Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (IPMSM)”.
• The traction motor inverter is a device which converts DC power from the Li-ion battery to AC power, and drives the traction motor. Because the AC power frequency and voltage can be varied when the DC power is converted to AC power, it provides control performance with a high degree of freedom.
Okay. Just trying to think what might account for the small difference in density. Perhaps the Volt's thermal management adds just enough weight to bring down the entire pack's specific energy by that 2%. Also, that description of the Leaf's motor still does not equate to "DC Permanent Magnet, brushless." That's a very different animal.

=Smidge=

AndyH said:
Right - read that. The actual J1634 spec outlines the gory details of vehicle weight, that tires can be shaved, tire pressure, etc. I'd like to know exactly why the weight difference between 'curb' and 'as tested' and haven't found it yet.
Here's a copy of the 1999 J1634 test procedure: [edit...SAE docs automatically expire after 5 years - this doc is legally dead. But it's very close to the last few generations of J1634 and is likely to be very close to the current version. /edit]
http://wenku.baidu.com/view/882edf51ad02de80d4d84060.html

4.1.4 The vehicle shall be tested at loaded vehicle weight - curb weight plus 136kg (300 lbs).

Here's an implementation of the test as conducted by Electric Transportation Applications in 1997, and appears to be the method used (with modifications) for the 2000-era EVs:
http://avt.inel.gov/pdf/fsev/eva/etatp3r2.pdf

Smidge204 said:
Also, that description of the Leaf's motor still does not equate to "DC Permanent Magnet, brushless." That's a very different animal.
Agreed. Looks like there's still plenty for the EPA to learn about EVs. ;)

Smidge204 said:
Quick backstory: After a disagreement with another forum member over the testing procedures used, I decided to go right to the source and get a real answer. The punchline is we were both right and yet both wrong - it seems they used the J1634 test method but applied all the corrections from the 5-Cycle test to the result.
Not to kill your backstory but it seems overly revisionist. In the context of how easy it would be for the EPA to measure the kWh used in charging the Leaf, I wrote: "J1634 requires that the car be run through test cycles until the traction battery voltage falls below the minimum specified by the manufacturer or the car can no longer meet the speed requirements of the test. There isn't any extrapolation. Run till death." You replied to this as follows:

"If the EPA used the SAE J1634 test standard you might have had a point. They also would have gotten different numbers. Sadly, they don't use that test so you're wasting your time. ... Grab yourself a nice big mug of hot cocoa and have a read before commenting on the test procedures again."

Just one simple question was at issue: Did the EPA use J1634 to test the Leaf. You said no. I said yes. There was no discussion of anything else.

Moreover, you were actually wrong on two points not just one. You were wrong that the EPA didn't use J1634. And you were wrong in claiming that had it used J1634 the numbers would have been different than had it used the non-existent 5-Cycle test for EVs. As you now recognize, and what was obvious and well known to many at the time, is that the adjustment to the 2-Cycle test is designed to yield the same number as the 5-Cycle test (which is not BTW the same thing as saying the EPA "applied all the corrections from the 5-Cycle test", whatever that means.)

SanDust said:
Just one simple question was at issue: Did the EPA use J1634 to test the Leaf. You said no. I said yes. There was no discussion of anything else.
Not so. There were many other things said.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=43998

As for thinking the EPA numbers don't reflect reality, it doesn't matter if u agree with the EPA range number, all u have to accept is that the EPA can measure the current from the wall. If the EPA tests found the range of the Leaf to be 146 miles then it would find that the Leaf uses 17 kWh to go 100 miles. The battery capacity used would still be 21.6 kWh. If u don't think the EPA can measure current then ur just choosing to believe the EPA doesn't have the competence of a high school science team. Watt meters are not exotic pieces of equipment and measuring the amount of current that comes out of an outlet isn't exactly a tough assignment.

Turns out they used fudged range to calculate kwh/100 miles, for eg.

Smidge204 said:
Isn't the curb weight something like 3300 pounds? So an additional ~400 pounds could be two or three adults plus a bit of cargo.
The EPA uses Equivalent Test Weight which is based on the curb weight of the vehicle plus the carrying capacity of the vehicle, otherwise known as Loaded Vehicle Weight. http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/julqtr/pdf/40cfr86.129-00.pdf

evnow said:
I've tried to explain this to you several times. Think about it. If you're trying to determine how many kWh you're putting into the battery it doesn't matter what the kWh/100 mile figure is. The EPA drains the battery. Then it charges the battery and measures how much power has delivered from the wall. It's just simple counting and it's all that matters. The range and the kWh/100 miles only comes into play because you're trying to find how many kWh are in one charge.

Maybe numbers will help. If the EPA finds the Leaf uses 34 kWh per 100 miles and the range is 73 miles, then one charge taking you those 73 miles would equal (73/100) X 36 = 24.82 kWh at the wall. If the EPA didn't use the deflator it would find the Leaf uses 23.8 kWh (.7 X 34) per 100 miles and the range to be 104 miles. In this case the one charge taking you those 104 miles would equal 104/100 X 24 = 24.96 (difference due to rounding).

Not sure how else to explain this. The equation is (Range/100 miles) = (kWh needed to fill/kWh needed for 100 miles). It's just a simple proportion yielding the same result no matter what the kWh/100 mile number is because as the the range changes so does the the kWh needed for 100 miles.

SanDust said:
evnow said:
I've tried to explain this to you several times. Think about it. If you're trying to determine how many kWh you're putting into the battery it doesn't matter what the kWh/100 mile figure is. The EPA drains the battery. Then it charges the battery and measures how much power has delivered from the wall. It's just simple counting and it's all that matters. The range and the kWh/100 miles only comes into play because you're trying to find how many kWh are in one charge.
Yes - the test was 'run until empty' - not the short form. Yes - the EPA knows how to measure how much energy it takes to recharge the pack. You're in fine shape so far.

But then the EPA discounts 30% of the MEASURED range as an adjustment factor to arrive at the 'window sticker' number.

So yes - you're right, EVNOW is right, and Smidge is right.

SanDust said:
evnow said:
It is not that you have failed to explain - you have failed to understand. See Andy's post above too.

They have not disclosed "unadjusted" kwh used to charge the vehicle back. If you think they have disclosed that - show me where it is and exactly what it is.

ps : You do know we are no longer in the 101 class ;-)

DarkStar said:
AndyH said:
But then the EPA discounts 30% of the MEASURED range as an adjustment factor to arrive at the 'window sticker' number.
So the EPA got over 100 miles on a charge?
Yes. Here are the unadjusted figures EPA got, that I posted.

So, considering 30% adjustment, the unadjusted range is

City : 110 miles.
Hwy : 95.7 miles.

All this with 3,700 lb (i.e. they have loaded Leaf with quite a bit of luggage).

I've not read the full test document. Does anyone know how dynamometer test simulates for air and road resistance ?

evnow said:
I've not read the full test document. Does anyone know how dynamometer test simulates for air and road resistance ?
Short answer: yes, it does simulate those effects. My only question is if the dynamometer the EPA uses for the testing is a driven or passive type... though it may not come into play if they just drive it until dead. A driven type would permit regenerative braking whereas a passive type would only absorb and dissipate energy put out by the wheels.

=Smidge=

evnow said:
The 'how to conduct a test' document explains in gory details. Everything is modeled and verified with real-world driving to validate the model. They can adjust the model to simulate wind and hills, but I don't know that they do.

DarkStar said:
So the EPA got over 100 miles on a charge?
The evaluation process includes input from the manufacturer and the Government agency. Here are the numbers Nissan reported to the EPA in their application - Normal and Eco mode:

leafrange.jpg

Smidge204 said:
Short answer: yes, it does simulate those effects. My only question is if the dynamometer the EPA uses for the testing is a driven or passive type...
Part of the test setup is to run the dyno for 15 minutes to warm it up before strapping the car on - that sounds active to me. (This Doc - page 9 paragraph 6.1.4) The LA4/UDDS and US06 include stops so there's opportunity for regen - and range does improve in ECO mode...

AndyH said:
Here are the numbers Nissan reported to the EPA in their application - Normal and Eco mode:
Interesting that Eco mode seems to have very little impact on range in that test. +1.8% City and +2.3% highway? Meh. I really want to believe there is something being missed that makes ECO mode more worthwhile...
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
AndyH said:
Here are the numbers Nissan reported to the EPA in their application - Normal and Eco mode:
Interesting that Eco mode seems to have very little impact on range in that test. +1.8% City and +2.3% highway? Meh. I really want to believe there is something being missed that makes ECO mode more worthwhile...
=Smidge=
I have NOT spent time reading the referenced info ... but ... is it a simulation or a real drive with "feet-on-the-peddles" ? If simulation ... that would explain the poor "improvements" gained from ECO.

Smidge204 said:
AndyH said:
Eco mode is really just a drivers aid. A well trained driver should be able to achieve Eco results in regular drive mode.

Only difference would be if HVAC is running - I believe Eco mode will reduce power draw from HVAC...

drees said:
Eco mode is really just a drivers aid. A well trained driver should be able to achieve Eco results in regular drive mode.

Only difference would be if HVAC is running - I believe Eco mode will reduce power draw from HVAC...
It appears that in addition to throttling the HVAC the regen rate increases in ECO mode. Hard to do that from the accelerator pedal regardless of driver experience. ;)

AndyH said:
It appears that in addition to throttling the HVAC the regen rate increases in ECO mode. Hard to do that from the accelerator pedal regardless of driver experience. ;)
Right - but I believe you can get the same effect by lightly pressing the brake pedal as the brake pedal is essentially a dummy pedal which blends regen/friction brakes depending on operating conditions - like the Prius.

drees said:
AndyH said:
Right - but I believe you can get the same effect by lightly pressing the brake pedal as the brake pedal is essentially a dummy pedal which blends regen/friction brakes depending on operating conditions - like the Prius.
I don't know. The Leaf service manual shows a standard mechanical connection between the pedal and master cylinder. It also shows the computerized mixing of regen and friction (with both regen and power brake boost adjusting on the fly with inputs from ABS and traction control). On paper braking seems like a fluid mix. I look forward to feeling it 'for real' to see if that brake spot exists.

Back