2015: Battery Data Report @ 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being in Texas, heat will be the largest factor that shortens battery life. If you are okay with only charging to 80%, then keep doing it, it won't hurt anything.

The following paper shows that a lower charge voltage is better for longevity than a higher one (even if slight): https://www.researchgate.net/publication/303890624_Modeling_of_Lithium-Ion_Battery_Degradation_for_Cell_Life_Assessment). The data they present show that the batteries that were cycled from 100% SOC had accelerated capacity loss when the battery was new, but eventually the degradation follows the same rate as those batteries that terminated charge at 85% on Page 7. They speculate that this initial rapid degradation may have been caused by overcharging early in the tested batteries life, but they don't have data on that. When they adjust that early degradation out, it shows only a couple % difference in degradation between the 100% charged and 85% charged batteries that had the same DOD after many cycles.

According to the data presented, there will be a slight advantage to maintaining a lower SOC as far as battery lifetime. So slight, that you may get an extra month or two of life out of the battery over a five year battery lifetime.

I suspect for my use case (and probably yours), being in a warm climate, that charging to 80 vs 100 will make very little difference in the total lifetime of the battery.

philip said:
Being in Texas, heat will be the largest factor that shortens battery life. If you are okay with only charging to 80%, then keep doing it, it won't hurt anything.

The following paper shows that a lower charge voltage is better for longevity than a higher one (even if slight): https://www.researchgate.net/publication/303890624_Modeling_of_Lithium-Ion_Battery_Degradation_for_Cell_Life_Assessment). The data they present show that the batteries that were cycled from 100% SOC had accelerated capacity loss when the battery was new, but eventually the degradation follows the same rate as those batteries that terminated charge at 85% on Page 7. They speculate that this initial rapid degradation may have been caused by overcharging early in the tested batteries life, but they don't have data on that. When they adjust that early degradation out, it shows only a couple % difference in degradation between the 100% charged and 85% charged batteries that had the same DOD after many cycles.

According to the data presented, there will be a slight advantage to maintaining a lower SOC as far as battery lifetime. So slight, that you may get an extra month or two of life out of the battery over a five year battery lifetime.

I suspect for my use case (and probably yours), being in a warm climate, that charging to 80 vs 100 will make very little difference in the total lifetime of the battery.

Yeah, that was sort of what I was thinking, but I obviously want to mitigate it as much as possible. Given my limited driving, I could probably get away with 60%-70% SOC for my daily driving (gives me a bit of a buffer just in case). I'm already noticing the cold making an impact on range over the last few days since it's dropped into the 30's and 40's, so I feel more comfortable with 80% (+/-).

Relayer1956 said:
I finally lost the 3rd bar yesterday 1/27/18. My 2015 Leaf SL stats were:

Mileage: 45,575
kWh: 15.4
SOC: 96%
GIDs: 199
SOH: 69%
Hx: 43.84%
Ah: 43.0

So I’m on track for a warranty battery replacement in 2018.
Did you end up losing your 4th bar yet?

Actually I did just a few days ago on 1/7/19. I've been meaning to post about it.

Mileage: 52,722
kWh: 14.1
SOC: 96.6%
GIDs: 182
SOH: 63%
Hx: 34.75%
Ah: 39.22

This was not a good week for our Leaf...

We finally lost the first bar - like I thought would happen - right about 11,050 miles and 3 years, 3 months of ownership.

We also were side swiped in a parking lot on the rear bumper which left some scratches and gouges in the bumper cover...and they didn't leave a note or anything.

Plus, we hit a curb and gouged up one rim a little...

Lost bar 12 on my warranty replacement pack today. 3 years one month, and probably 22,000 miles. Was too harried today to get numbers for you, but will try tomorrow or Monday.

That's about 8 months more than it took on the old pack to lose the first bar, but about 10k fewer miles (my driving needs changed substantially coincidental with getting the new pack).

2nd Owner on 2/2015 Leaf; 28,507 miles; First full charge, using L2 at home, was last night.

Gids SOC AHr SOH Km
271 970853 578772 93.2 45878

At purchase 3 weeks ago, SOH was 95.18.

Date: 5/25/2019
Mileage: 28,589
GIDs: 253
kWh: 19.6
SOC: 97.4%
SOH: 86.7%
HX: 77.7%
Ahr: 53.83
Avg Battery Temp: 62.1

I purchased a 2015 SL about 3 weeks ago, and then finally got Leaf Spy going (Didnt know about it before purchasing)

I got this running today and it shows me the following stats after a full charge (Car still)

Location - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

AHr = 55.54
SOH = 89.43%
396.0V
Hx = 81.93

SOC 95.3%
19.8 kWh
52.93Ah

58,447 Km's (36k miles)

Is this about normal for this year and mileage? Any concerns? Any predictions when I lose my first bar?

Thanks all!

@LeftieBiker is my guru of battery health. Your numbers don't seem out of bounds, not center of range but not out of bounds. E.g., the SOH at 89 seems low, but I may be off. My present (3rd) Leaf started at 94% but dropped to 91-92% within a month. Compare your daily stats with your trip log and see where your trend goes if you are really concerned.

Me? I drive 4.3 miles one way, maybe 50 miles on a weekend jaunt RT. Otherwise, I'll take the ICE car. Battery health is not as critical.

fstedy said:
I purchased a 2015 SL about 3 weeks ago, and then finally got Leaf Spy going (Didnt know about it before purchasing)

I got this running today and it shows me the following stats after a full charge (Car still)

Location - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

AHr = 55.54
SOH = 89.43%
396.0V
Hx = 81.93

SOC 95.3%
19.8 kWh
52.93Ah

58,447 Km's (36k miles)

Is this about normal for this year and mileage? Any concerns? Any predictions when I lose my first bar?

Thanks all!

Pretty normal, yes. You are nowhere near losing a bar - that will happen when the SOH is about 85%. The normal (as opposed to high) SOH is likely from the car sitting at a high state of charge (SOC) for long periods, assuming the car is from Canada. Avoid doing that and the 12th bar may last another few years.

@LeftieBiker is my guru of battery health.

Thanks, but I'm more an aggregator of information than a guru. I try to present what seems to be reasonably well known information, and if I have a theory I try to label it as opinion. Oh, and no "@" - I don't do Twitter. I'm from the neolithic era of the Internet.

LeftieBiker said:
@LeftieBiker is my guru of battery health.

Thanks, but I'm more an aggregator of information than a guru. I try to present what seems to be reasonably well known information, and if I have a theory I try to label it as opinion. Oh, and no "@" - I don't do Twitter. I'm from the neolithic era of the Internet.

I don't want to be a twit either. Some of the fora allow a call-back to addressee; I assumed MNL does. Regardless, I appreciate you input and value your response.

MJH

LeftieBiker said:
Oh, and no "@" - I don't do Twitter. I'm from the neolithic era of the Internet.
lol

In some forum sofwares the @ prefix serves notification that the person was mentioned in the post.

From a fellow twitter and facebook hater.

Back