The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
krox said:
Thank. Where can I read this information (about the inability to replace the batteries) from the official Nissan? Give me a link.
You should get a clue.
Companies say what they will support, and what they will authorize.
Nissan does not authorize use of the their BMS in transplanted batteries. Nissan employs a software lock to prevent unauthorized use.

Unless you can either
1. Hack the lock; or
2. Replace the BMS

You are NOWHERE
Since you have not realized that the BMS is locked down, I'll go out on a limb and say that you lack the skills for either (1) or (2).

What you can do, for instance, is to change to a 30 kWh battery as long as you also change the matched VCM at the same time. It's not very hard.

It's also possible to hack the communication between the BMS and the car. It is actually a lot of things you can do to get a different battery running in your Leaf, but the easiest is to Just change the battery and the VCM.

Well according to the Ukrainian on you tube who already got a 30kwh pack to work in a 2011 leaf... He says that a 24kwh batt pack can be gutted and repacked with 40kwh modules.
All he needs to prove it is a 40kwh pack to sacrifice.

You can message him and he will respond.
I don't know if he reads and writes English or uses the translator.

So with the 40 kWh Leaf being out now for about a year, what are owners seeing in terms of battery degradation? Last I checked a few months ago:

-Dave in Olympia had (I think?) 2.75% degradation over 12,000 miles in Washington state

-Leftie Biker had 5.5% degradation over 6 months and only 1,000 miles in upstate New York (yikes, sorry)

But what are other Leaf owners/leasees witnessing on their 40 kWh Leafs?

And what do we make of this article?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=25773

40,000 miles driven, 30,000 of them in Phoenix, constant rapid charging, and only 7.5% capacity loss according to Leaf Spy? Over 12,000 miles, that would only be 2.25% degradation. And imagine if she didn't rapid charge so much, and/or if she lived somewhere colder than Phoenix. Unless, of course, the 7.5% capacity loss was caused by 1.) calendar degradation in the bad AESC battery, and 2.) Phoenix, so it wouldn't really matter if she drove 40,000 miles or 1,000 miles in one year, she still would have experienced the same degradation regardless?

But how do you reconcile her Leaf's profile with say Leftie Biker's experience in his 2018?

Kieran973 said:

40,000 miles driven, 30,000 of them in Phoenix, constant rapid charging, and only 7.5% capacity loss according to Leaf Spy? Over 12,000 miles, that would only be 2.25% degradation.
But how do you reconcile her Leaf's profile with say Leftie Biker's experience in his 2018?
I think you made a copy paste booboo.

Evoforce said:
Kieran973 said:
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/01/06/40000-miles-with-the-2018-nissan-leaf/

Her solutions are comical. Uneven cooling of the pack is not a good thing. She also spent only a relatively small time in Arizona.
Haven't read the piece yet, but did see some of her posts on one of the Leaf FB groups. When she was screwing around w/the ice to cool the pack, she didn't have Leaf Spy to even monitor the battery temps even though we kept prodding her to do so. She kept claiming she broke her dongle (not sure how). Finally, she wised up, I guess.

Evoforce said:
Kieran973 said:

Her solutions are comical. Uneven cooling of the pack is not a good thing. She also spent only a relatively small time in Arizona.
I would not be as happy as she seems to be with 8.5% capacity loss in a year but in any case she really should double check that result with a charging test.

Kieran973 said:

40,000 miles driven, 30,000 of them in Phoenix, constant rapid charging, and only 7.5% capacity loss according to Leaf Spy? Over 12,000 miles, that would only be 2.25% degradation. And imagine if she didn't rapid charge so much, and/or if she lived somewhere colder than Phoenix. Unless, of course, the 7.5% capacity loss was caused by 1.) calendar degradation in the bad AESC battery, and 2.) Phoenix, so it wouldn't really matter if she drove 40,000 miles or 1,000 miles in one year, she still would have experienced the same degradation regardless?

Two things (neither of which is new)

QC's not as bad as we think as long as not charged to very high SOC.

High usage promotes better health. Its almost like exercising a muscle. Long periods of light/no use detrimental. Could be high usage means little time spent at high SOC (one of the many causes of higher rates of degradation)

Another thought; high usage confuses BMS.

Now a few have reported battery stats increasing. I have yet to see this but...

I am in a period where I am seeing large chunks lost nearly daily after 2½ months of very minimal loss. I thought this was an adjustment (happens like clockwork every 3ish months or so) but this one is different in that it has lasted at least 7 days and adds up to largest drop so far.

It is also a period that corresponds to lighter than normal usage including one day of no driving along with a handful of around 10 miles or less. As of this morning my total loss is now 6½% SOC.

Finally; I reported this about a month after receiving the car that the BMS was suspect.

Unlike my previous 3 LEAFs, I could not determine what the standard full charge profile of my pack was. It was all over the map including some charges that were much higher than they should have been. I believe that the issue is not the batteries, its Nissan battery management.

Evoforce said:
Kieran973 said:

No her solutions are not comical. I have proven that the air conditioner can be used to cool the battery in a structured test with LeafSpy monitoring the results. I don’t see anything wrong about putting ice on the pack through the service plug hole but this does seem inefficient and messy.

I plan to start using an ice chest cooler, in conjunction the air conditioner, to blow ice cold air through the service plug hole this summer on long trips. Even when/if we get the software upgrade that allows faster charging at higher temperatures, there is still going to be a problem with the battery overheating. Since the EV industry (Nissan and aftermarket providers) are pretty much ignoring the issue, it’s going to be up to Leaf owners to come up with creative ideas to cool the Leaf battery packs.

Saying her efforts are comical is like saying someone crawling away from falling down a flight of stairs with serious injuries is comical. I know the frustration of having to wait, many times, on a slow charge caused by high battery temperatures. The person on the website came up with creative solutions to a very serious problem borne out of desperation and I don’t see YOU doing anything to help.

TexasLeaf said:
Evoforce said:
Kieran973 said:

No her solutions are not comical. I have proven that the air conditioner can be used to cool the battery in a structured test with LeafSpy monitoring the results. I don’t see anything wrong about putting ice on the pack through the service plug hole but this does seem inefficient and messy.

I plan to start using an ice chest cooler, in conjunction the air conditioner, to blow ice cold air through the service plug hole this summer on long trips. Even when/if we get the software upgrade that allows faster charging at higher temperatures, there is still going to be a problem with the battery overheating. Since the EV industry (Nissan and aftermarket providers) are pretty much ignoring the issue, it’s going to be up to Leaf owners to come up with creative ideas to cool the Leaf battery packs.

Saying her efforts are comical is like saying someone crawling away from falling down a flight of stairs with serious injuries is comical. I know the frustration of having to wait, many times, on a slow charge caused by high battery temperatures. The person on the website came up with creative solutions to a very serious problem borne out of desperation and I don’t see YOU doing anything to help.

Have you heard/inquired about when 2018's will get the charge curve update?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Have you heard/inquired about when 2018's will get the charge curve update?

This is just second hand information mind you (or maybe third or fourth) but I saw a video by Lemon-Tea Leaf where James said that one of his subscribers stated he received an email from Nissan Europe stating that a software update was available and that it would go into distribution soon. The battery management software version for the USA is different for the Europe version so I don’t know how this information applies to Leafs in the USA.

My yearly battery check is due in March. I plan to have the dealer check for software updates when I take my car in and I will specifically ask about the battery management software update. I know I have the “A” version and the latest Leafs have a “C” version so I will be able to check if I get updated to the latest version.

Evoforce said:
Kieran973 said:

whats worse is she was working nights driving Uber so was timing her full L2 charges to finish in the mid afternoon Sun of a Phoenix Summer (no garage, no shade, nada)

I am quite surprised her pack is still alive.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Evoforce said:
Kieran973 said:

whats worse is she was working nights driving Uber so was timing her full L2 charges to finish in the mid afternoon Sun of a Phoenix Summer (no garage, no shade, nada)

I am quite surprised her pack is still alive.
It is an interesting question whether she knew enough to time her charging so that the car would not sit fully charged for hours every day.

Back