EV system warning light. What may have cause it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen this problem occur with the Blink, but not seen it on the EV-Link. If it happens again when you are home, switch the the EVSE that came with your car (or better yet, one of my upgraded units if you have one) and see if that "fixes" the problem. It's still possible it's the EVSE.

So the dealer saw no codes?

-Phil

Dealer saw no codes. Of course that doesn't mean anything since they also wrote down that I said it wouldn't charge.

I never said that. I said I wouldn't charge it until they verified there wasn't a problem that was causing the light.

Based on further research it seems this was a false alarm. I have the car back and all seems to be good. I have the exact same EVSE at home that they have at the dealer so we'll see what happens.

Co-worker asked if it was the same as having the check engine light on when the gas cap is loose. Made me laugh because that's about what it feels like.

I am having the same issue with LEAF 2013. My LEAF is about 9 weeks old with about 3,000 miles. Warning description "7. EV System warning light" as per 2013 LEAF Manual page # EV-28. I see the other warning and errors when I start the car (do not remember exactly). But, all errors and warning go away when I power down the car and restart it.

This problem only happens when I use public charger @ Mayer Electric and whole foods. It has happened twice in last 10 days. Charging works fine using trickle charger and the car work fine otherwise.

If you are getting an EV warning light after a charge on your 2013 LEAF, and the charge was interrupted (didn't finish on it's own or by manually stopping), it's possible that you have the dreaded PDM defect. You should take your LEAF to a dealer and have them read the DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). Let them know that your LEAF failed to complete it's charge.

This problem seems to first occur on high-power L2 charging, then progresses to where even a L1 charge will stall. It is caused by a defect in the power handling parts in the PDM responsible for charging.

If you get an EV warning light after charging, but charging completes otherwise fine, this could be a fluke. I've noticed it's very common after using Blink DC QC stations.

-Phil

Thanks Phil. I am going to see the dealer tomorrow and I will pass on this information.

Thanks

If this is so Phil, why is the dealership giving the stall to wait for the July Software? The PDM should just be replaced ... right?

I have a Clipper Creek for a couple months with no issues of complete charge till now ... the LEAF doesn't accept the signal from the Clipper Creek CS-40. Have to use the 120v that was given with the car.

Techie0212 said:
I have a Clipper Creek for a couple months with no issues of complete charge till now ... the LEAF doesn't accept the signal from the Clipper Creek CS-40. Have to use the 120v that was given with the car.
Mine is in the shop now. It started out with issues on a Clipper Creek CS-100 that gradually got to the point where it would not charge for more than 5 minuets. After the first time it quit charging on my LCS-25 on Monday I took it to my local dealer. I was told that the PDM will be in on Tuesday. I'll believe it when I see it.

Greetings. I am a new member. I just picked up my 2015 Leaf at Carmax today. So far, so good (I thought).

It was close to fully charged at the dealer. When I got it home I plugged it in (Model S, so only Level 1 charging available, if I've got that terminology right). Before it completed, I unplugged the charger at the car, then drove it to the grocery store and then back home. Plugged it back in. By early evening it showed fully charged (on charger and 3 solid blue lights on dash).

Unplugged it again at the car and went inside. But just before i closed the door to the garage, I noticed a red light blinking on the dash.

Yep.

Checked the manual first. Then came here. I have tried power cycling several times and also disconnected battery terminal for a few minutes. As soon as I reconnect, the light starts flashing again.

I will be receiving OBDI connector on Wednesday. Should I wait for that, or take it to a dealer?

Maybe the 12V is low / needs to charge for a bit?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

David

I mis-read the light. It's just the "security indicator light". Duh me.

Another one of those times where I experience the combination of feeling stupid and relieved at the same time. :oops:

Had a fun revelation today after taking my car in due to the Master Warning Light. The water pump needs to be replaced. Goodbye to a grand. Very frustrating. Hardly seems a benefit to have a more simple electric car that still has the same old issues most of my other cars have had. :roll:

Car would not start warning “service EV system”. Ticking noise from engine, stuttering rear lights. When I had stopped the battery was at 84%. Breakdown service fired battery and it then started. Once home I restarted it same warning flashed up but this time the car did start.

Deansleaf said:
Car would not start warning “service EV system”. Ticking noise from engine, stuttering rear lights. When I had stopped the battery was at 84%. Breakdown service fired battery and it then started. Once home I restarted it same warning flashed up but this time the car did start.

Not sure what "fired battery" means, but I'm guessing you meant they used jumper cables to the 12V battery? In which case you either need a new 12V battery, or if you have a battery charger you might try giving the 12V a complete charge though the problem may return. If the 12V is more than a couple of years old I would strongly lean towards replacement.

itsbrian said:
Had a fun revelation today after taking my car in due to the Master Warning Light. The water pump needs to be replaced. Goodbye to a grand. Very frustrating. Hardly seems a benefit to have a more simple electric car that still has the same old issues most of my other cars have had. :roll:

There's a post on this forum with a replacement part that is MUCH cheaper.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24152&start=10

The prices on Leaf parts is insane. I assume Nissan either doesn't have the volume or is marking them up to try to make money off the Leaf.

My issue with the EVSLis after diagnosis from the dealership is "RATS". Apparently they chew on hv cables and that's what triggering the light.
It doesn't charge and I also need to reset the system by disconnecting the 12v battery to make it move.
DTC P0AA6 possible rodent damage. Need to inspect all HV harnesses and other components.
A/C compressor, heater, traction motor, charger, li ion battery, and DC/DC.
Cost for diagnosis and inspection $900!
Anybody know an alternative?

trentr said:
no worries, happens all the time. it just means the charging was interrupted, that's all.

Years later, your reply just saved me a lot of stress. Happened first time this morning on our 2011, and indeed there had been a power glitch while it was plugged in a few days earlier. Plugged it in again, no more light. Thanks!

Hi All,

re-opening this ancient thread :)

Got the reduction gear fluid changed in my 2014 Nissan Leaf two days ago. All seemed fine that afternoon.

Yesterday morning the "EV system warning light" (the orange vehicle icon with the exclamation mark pover it) popped up on the dashboard during driving. Then I stopped, turned the car off, did some errands, returned back and the "EV system warning light" was gone. The "EV system warning light" appeared again when driving yesterday evening.

Same scenarion today morning. Disappeared after a short stop.

The owner´s manual indicates this warning light may illuminate when there is an issue with the "Shift control system".

This light illuminates if there is a malfunction in the
following systems. Contact a NISSAN certified
LEAF dealer.
• Traction motor and inverter system
• Charge port or on board charger
• Li-ion battery system
• Cooling system
Shift control system
• Emergency shut off system is activated.

Do you think this issue could have been caused by the reduction gear fluid change?

Thanks,
elm

Back