Can this gas WH be replaced with electric?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 10 year warranty on our heat pump water heater. Before purchasing and periodically after I have continued to monitor reviews and have found no evidence of high repair needs. The technology and quality is improving.

The same can not yet be said for heat pump clothes dryers.

The warranty is 10 years on the tank and "component parts" but only 1 year on labor. I've run into this on AC systems. Yes it helps to have the parts covered but the labor, service call, and refrigerant are all paid by you know who. A couple years ago I paid over $700 to have an AC evaporator coil changed out under warranty. Of course if I had to pay for the part it would have been like another $1100. Can't blame the AC guy, it was a big job they certainly couldn't be expected to do for free.

My wife would never let me replace our NG WH with an electric one, simply because the gas one works when the power is out. We live on an isolated road and get frequent outages (usually 2-3 a year), and in the case of a major storm, we're usually the last ones with power restored.

You may still be out of luck. AFAIK most of the latest natural gas water heaters require electrical ignition (I think old pilot light ones can still be found, though).

We get a power outage maybe once a year averaging 30 minutes, perhaps. However we still have plenty of hot water and would still have plenty of hot water even if the power outage lasted half a day.

Back