LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm here too. I don't use Facebook either, and lurk.

I'm on the south side of town and only have 7 bars, so the chance I can make any EV outing is essentially zero... Unless someone in the area wants to do a battery swap... :)

But feel free to drop me a message if you're ever in South KC.

ericvoll said:
Wow, it’s been a year and a half since anyone has posted on here. I tried the Facebook thing, but Facebook creeps me out too much. I ended up buying a 2018 Nissan LEAF to replace the Chevy Volt that I had purchased. I wish I would have just kept my 2012 LEAF.

The 2018 LEAF is a great car....and I like the additional mileage.

Hi Eric! I sure thought you were happy with the gas-extended range your new Volt provided when we last met over the wiper blade exchange. Was it the extra maintenance, smelly old gas and more limited electric range or did the car just not live up to your expectations in its entirety?

Enjoy your new LEAF! I hope to see you around (what color am I watching for a glimpse of?).

- Kathy

Kathy -

It’s nice hearing from you.

I had the Volt for just about a year. I enjoyed the ability to take longer trips, but that was about it. The quality of the Volt was really disappointing. It ended up being one of those 80% complete kinds of products. It had a lot of little quirks like not being able to turn off the radio. I’m serious. As implausible as it sounds, on these vehicles, you can’t turn off the radio. You can only mute it. Some of the safety features didn’t work consistently. I was driving down I-435 on a nice, warm, clear day with no one in front of me one day, and the car decided that I was about to have an imminent collision, so it engaged emergency braking. That caught my attention!!

Overall, it was an OK car, but I really missed my LEAF. I really wish I hadn’t sold it. So, when the new ones came out last year, I bought one. It’s fully loaded and is cobalt blue (a very cool color, but my first car that wasn’t silver, black, or white). The new LEAFs have quite a few new features compared with the previous ones.

All in all, I’m glad I went back. It feels strange that we all got our LEAFs in 2012, 7 years ago. Wow. Time flys.

ERIC

ericvoll said:
So, when the new ones came out last year, I bought one. It’s fully loaded and is cobalt blue (a very cool color, but my first car that wasn’t silver, black, or white). The new LEAFs have quite a few new features compared with the previous ones.

Everything's up to date in Kansas City :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6pmZE1Qtyw

Couldn't resist...

ericvoll said:
So, when the new ones came out last year, I bought one. It’s fully loaded and is cobalt blue (a very cool color, but my first car that wasn’t silver, black, or white). The new LEAFs have quite a few new features compared with the previous ones.

All in all, I’m glad I went back. It feels strange that we all got our LEAFs in 2012, 7 years ago. Wow. Time flys.

ERIC

Eric, that sounds like a really pretty color! I'm sure I'll see you around, likely near Antioch Crossing. I'm working from home a lot, so not out there often. You probably made a wise choice, since most sedans are likely going away. The new LEAFs are sharp-looking; but I can't help dislike that Nissan restyled them to blend in with gassers. I think they could have left the front end charge port and grill alone (I get the headlights, though - I hope you got bigger side mirrors with that change and the larger capacity battery). Every new vehicle seems to have 1950/60s boomerang taillights (I like the LEAF's distinctive originals)...and Toyota & Lexus have gone way overboard to mimic that gawd-awful Marai look with giant air intakes. I'm looking forward to car designers shaping cars in a more future-forward, non-gas-centric, tech-reflective manner (and also to when they don't let an electronic emergency brake scare them...geez!).

I have over 51K on my 2012 now. Time for maintenance (tire rotation!). Down 3 capacity bars on a 24kWh battery, but still manages my commuting needs just fine and there're are a few DCQCs around. I'm waiting out the battery replacement issue while costs are in flux and will hopefully obtain a swap when feasible/necessary.

See you!
- Kathy

Looking for help. Looking at buying a certified, used leaf at a dealer in KC. I asked the dealer to provide me with a SOH on the battery, but they do not have those through Nissan.

I am out of state and looking to have the car shipped to me. Would anyone be willing to go to the dealer and run the test through LeafSpy for me? I will happily pay you for your time. Also, if this type of request is not allowed in this forum, please let me know!

Thanks!

I am interested in buying an 2012 SL from a dealer in Lee's Summit. I'm out of town and intend to have the vehicle towed home if I buy it.

Dealer fully charged the vehicle, it now shows 8 bars and 52 mile range. I am new to EV's but understand the SOH data from a Leafspy readout is a more accurate indicator of battery health. I was planning on driving 400 mile round trip to test drive the vehicle and view Leafspy data this week.

Would someone be available to drop by the dealership and run a Leafspy report on the vehicle and forward the data to me? I saw someone else made this request 2 years ago and thought I would give it a try. I would be happy to compensate you for your time and effort.

Thanks,
Jeff S.

Sounds exactly like my car, 2012 SL with 8 bars. and average low 50's miles displayed on the guess-o-meter, which we all know is based on how you drive/your last few trips. I have 59K+ miles on my car. I would do you the favor, but I've never gotten the LeafSpy I purchased a few years ago to connect to my device, don't use it and there's not a lot of infrastructure around there to give me comfort for the return trip (highway eats range and 54 miles is not "real").

I will, however, give you an educated guess that what your seeing is likely pretty accurate. I bought my Leaf new (June 4, 2012, ordered it online, delivered from Japan) and in my experience, the dealers here aren't the least bit interested in selling them (basically no future service opportunities). They may be a little more knowledgeable now, after several years of having to service them, but the high turn-over in Leaf "experts" at my dealer's informs my opinion (supposedly there are several working there, but they never managed to resolve why my TCU stops communicating; once I gave up on them and started keeping a battery maintainer on my 12v, the problem resolved itself; although there's a bulletin about the TCU perpetually turning on and draining the 12v, this was never applied to my knowledge, even after asking about it and 4 TCU replacements). So, I would venture to guess they haven't messed with anything to "pump up the range" on that car, IMHO

You might consider checking out our Facebook page, KC EV and Plug-In Vehicle Enthusiasts, to get an opinion and reach someone who lives in/around Lee's summit (I'm about 20-25 miles north).

Good luck,
Kathy

You might want to start a new topic rather than resurrect this old thread.

An 8 bar LEAF is down at least 37.5% in capacity. That means this car has max 45-50 miles of range in the summer if driven sedately (if you take advantage of the instant torque for quick starts you will not be driving sedately). It will have far less range if you are using the HVAC system, or if driven at highway speeds. Expect non-anxiety range to be about 35 miles or less round trip.

Back