ABG: U.S. carbon emissions spike in 2018 after years of falling

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iPlug said:
China's economy is slowing and they are shifting somewhat from a largely manufacturing based economy to a less carbon intense, service based one. A rising middle class will increasingly demand cleaner air there and more renewable sources. The data trends already show this; China is not a lost cause.

China also happens to be the king in VRE, accounting for ~ HALF on the worldwide yearly installations. Trumpers vacillate between proclaiming that AGW is a hoax engineered by China (because they are installing so much VRE) and whining that the US should ignore AGW because of other countries like China (!) that pollute.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is more pathetic than a trumper.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
baseload thermal plants typically operate at 70%
You should look at the data for the total fossil fleet.
If you're referring to the fact that non-baseload plants have lower CFs, I know, and some fossil-fuel plants are required to be curtailed due to "must dispatch" regulations for VRE. Here's a decent general online source for U.S. plants (scroll down to "Capacity factors by energy source - United States"): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacity_factor

There are also numbers for the UK, for comparison.

iPlug said:
So your position from Post #171 is "a"?

We should all be able to come to an agreement on the foundational numbers, then go from there.
For some reason I'm no longer seeing the post numbers, but assuming you're referring to your previous post, yes, which is why I suggested using Smil as a single source, as he provides the numbers and also does many of the calculations so we don't need to repeat them here, and can just argue about what conclusions we draw from them.

WetEV said:
RegGuheert said:
One question: Is there nuclear technology that can qualify as "backup" versus baseload? I'm asking about start-stop capabilities versus whether having that type of technology would be cost effective or not.

Don't need "start stop" or load following with sufficient daily storage, which batteries can provide. The nuclear plants could be run in a baseload type way, with shorter than daily variations handled by batteries. The problem is seasonal variability especially in northern locations, and the potential costs of seasonal storage. One possible way of dealing with seasonal variation in northern climates would be nuclear plants that would be mostly operated in winter, when demand is higher and PV production is lower. Hydrogen, flow batteries and other alternatives do exist today, but all would need development before meeting the requirements. Also some imports from warmer places, as the air conditioning load would be reduced in the winter, so they might have excess PV to export north.

Hydrogen currently looks like the best seasonal length store, months of storage. Batteries for as long as a week. Hydrogen doesn't seem to make sense for vehicles, other than perhaps aircraft and rockets.
I'd add we'll also need H2 for most long distance commercial shipping if that's to be 100% ZE, replacing all those marine diesel engines that move all the stuff we buy from Asia to here (assuming that we can only make enough biofuels without large-scale disruption of land use to handle long-range aviation, if that), and also any rail line that doesn't have enough traffic to justify electrification, which is most of them in the U.S. outside the NE corridor and a few other routes. We'll see what happens with H2 for long-haul trucking, but any truck that isn't on the road isn't earning, and once AV trucks arrive I don't see BEVs as viable, barring battery swapping with all the issues of standardization that implies, unless we are willing to accept much slower transit times. We'd also need to eliminate most regional air traffic (say less than 4 or 500 miles) on higher-traffic routes, shifting that to high-speed rail instead, and that requires building dedicated track separate from freight rail lines.

GRA said:
iPlug said:
So your position from Post #171 is "a"?

We should all be able to come to an agreement on the foundational numbers, then go from there.
For some reason I'm no longer seeing the post numbers, but assuming you're referring to your previous post, yes, which is why I suggested using Smil as a single source, as he provides the numbers and also does many of the calculations so we don't need to repeat them here, and can just argue about what conclusions we draw from them.
Apologies, I see now that was my total post number on the forum at the time, not sequential post number for all users in this thread.

Wanted to understand who was on the same page with the core basis numbers (the amount of energy solar would have to produce, at a minimum, if could be produced at exactly the right demand time, even if demand times could be altered somewhat in the future, to offset fossil fuels currently used to generate electricity).

1-2 folks here posited significantly different numbers and that math (or lack thereof) didn't seem to check out.

Understand a few here have significantly different estimates as to the amount of energy that would be required in reality (to account for no sun at night, much less production in the winter, lack of current existing grid infrastructure and storage...). There should be room to debate these later estimates, but not the foundational numbers which are hard figures published by reliable government regulatory agencies.

SageBrush said:
iPlug said:
I expect off-shore wind to take off in the next 10 years despite NIMBY, specifically in the northeast.

Although particularly solar poor there in the winter, off-shore wind is a resource available for them to develop and quite available in the winter. Relatively shallower than the Pacific coast is a plus.
Oh, absolutely. Most of the Eastern seaboard is a tremendous resource.

As for the West coast, there are already good solutions to deep seabeds. I think the most promising I have read about are floating platforms. The main obstacle I have read about off CA is the Military. I expect that to go way once the trumpers are flushed.
While I'm hopeful about the floating platforms, they have essentially no track record as yet, so we just don't know if they'll prove commercially viable, and they're highly unlikely to be less expensive than fixed ones. But out here it's pretty much them or nothing for off-shore wind, as the continental shelf is too narrow most places for extensive deployment, and many of the areas that are shallow enough are around harbor entrances. It's not just the military who has concerns.

GRA said:
...But out here it's pretty much them or nothing for off-shore wind, as the continental shelf is too narrow most places for extensive deployment, and many of the areas that are shallow enough are around harbor entrances...
The coast off the upper 1/3 of our state has excellent wind harvesting potential.

960x470xMAP,P201.jpg.pagespeed.ic.n__U2X44OQ.jpg

iPlug said:
GRA said:
...But out here it's pretty much them or nothing for off-shore wind, as the continental shelf is too narrow most places for extensive deployment, and many of the areas that are shallow enough are around harbor entrances...
The coast off the upper 1/3 of our state has excellent wind harvesting potential.

960x470xMAP,P201.jpg.pagespeed.ic.n__U2X44OQ.jpg
Yup, that's the area they're talking about developing with floating platforms, and you'll notice that there are no major shipping harbors around Crescent City and Eureka (the commercial fishermen in those ports are not happy at the prospect). Of course, there's also not much in the way of transmission infrastructure, so aside from getting the power onshore you may also have to build the lines to move it to Portland/Seattle as well as the major urban areas to the south. [Edit] OTOH, I was forgetting that there used to be a Nuke in that area (which closed in 1976, so it's been awhile) and they're also talking about Morro Bay, where they can use the existing transmission lines for Diablo Canyon once that closes. Even ignoring the potential cost of that, if there's one area that Nimbyism is guaranteed to fight to the death, it's transmission lines, and it doesn't matter if the Nimbys are environmentalists or cut it and burn it conservatives - they'll all oppose it, so it will take years of litigation.

Re China, they've cleaned things up a fair amount although they have a long way to go, and India now has the cities with worst urban air pollution (PM 2.5). Like China the only fossil fuel they have in abundance is coal, which is one reason why those two countries are the only ones with extensive nuke development and construction.

I find it ironic that the trump administration approved an over the water wind farm.
As far as I can tell that 400 million dolllar farm project has made it further than any other.
It doesn't seem possible that the nimbys can stop this one, but you never know.
(Aside from the insignificant 30Mw experimental one)
Why couldn't the Obama administration accomplish this. They said they cared about the environment. Or did they just March to the drum beat of the nimby useful idiots and other noisy special interest groups?

Oilpan4 said:
Why couldn't the Obama administration accomplish this. They said they cared about the environment. Or did they just March to the drum beat of the nimby useful idiots and other noisy special interest groups?
One of life's biggest misconceptions is that career politicians hold deep-seated personal beliefs. It's all a show; behind the facade they're triangulating to position themselves to retain power. The worst offenders, and the ones most masterful at it, are the ones with no personal success outside the political arena who are completely dependent in keeping and advancing their positions. Obama is an amateur at the game compared to the Clintons, but like Trump he caught them off guard as they underestimated the electorate's ability to see through them.

Meanwhile we should all be thankful for the massive carbon emissions avoided by not flying Nancy Pelosi and her entourage halfway around the world for no legitimate purpose. Just one of those little things that's helping to save the planet.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Oilpan4 said:
One of life's biggest misconceptions is that career politicians hold deep-seated personal beliefs. It's all a show; behind the facade they're triangulating to position themselves to retain power. The worst offenders, and the ones most masterful at it, are the ones with no personal success outside the political arena who are completely dependent in keeping and advancing their positions. Obama is an amateur at the game compared to the Clintons, but like Trump he caught them off guard as they underestimated the electorate's ability to see through them.

Meanwhile we should all be thankful for the massive carbon emissions avoided by not flying Nancy Pelosi and her entourage halfway around the world for no legitimate purpose. Just one of those little things that's helping to save the planet.

I think that exposed a fair amount of fraud, waste and abuse. What was it? 17 government officials, having over 100 family members tag along?
I understand official business but that reeks of screwing off on the tax payers dime.
It's like they have forgotten who works for who.
Anyone who thinks that any politicians goals are in line with your best interests is an idiot.
The only possible exception to that is when you get someone who doesn't care about politics that gets in there. For a brief time they might care about the voter and doing the right thing until they realize what they are up against and figure out they are better off just shutting up, coloring, taking the money and going through the motions.
You want to see what going to Washington and trying to doing the right thing gets you, look up Daniel best and Dr David kelly.

A new poll says that 68% of America are unwilling to pay $10 a month to fight climate change.
57% of Americans would pay $1.
I would pay a dollar, if I didn't already drive an electric car and burn renewable, waste fire wood for most of my home heating.
Oh and all that money I spent planting trees on my land.
Then also I plan on paying cash for a 2017 hyundai sonata plug in hybrid lease turn in later this year. I'm going to need that $.

https://www.newsweek.com/majority-americans-unwilling-pay-climate-change-1304048

Edit: clarified it's $10 a month, I neglected to assign the time value. Cause just saying it's "$10" doesn't even tell half the story.

So few people seem to realize that if climate change isn't mitigated, they personally will lose. It goes against human nature to subsidize positive change for selfish assholes - until we realize that we are all pretty much the same, and the climate won't be picking good people to spare and bad people to kill in 20 years.

Like I have always said, people say they want to fix climate change until they have to pay for it.
I have never seen a numeric value assigned to it till now.
It's much worse than I ever imagined.
Much more than a $1 a month and support craters, lol.

Well a large portion of people build their lives around living precisely paycheck to paycheck.
According to cnbc in 2017, 49% of people lived paycheck to paycheck.
So it's safe to say most people just can't afford $50 to $100 a month for the global warming fiery.

I feel like I could mitigate more global warming spending a dollar than the government could with $10.
Unless the money was going into a fund to replace coal and natural gas power plants with nuclear. I can't compete with that.
But I have a feeling part of the government solution involves flying some douche bag half way around the world at least twice a year on a privet jet to a conference about how the governments can beat the proletariat into submission with a carbon taxs.

Well, if someone posted it on Facebook...

I'm guessing it's using flood deaths, which have (had?) dropped quite a bit, in part because of fewer earthen dams, and not other climate-related deaths worldwide, which are rising.

LeftieBiker said:
Well, if someone posted it on Facebook...
Yeah, someone named Bjorn Lomborg...
LeftieBiker said:
I'm guessing it's using flood deaths, which have (had?) dropped quite a bit, in part because of fewer earthen dams, and not other climate-related deaths worldwide, which are rising.
You're guessing wrong, then.

If you think the International Disaster Database is wrong, then tell us the source of your faith.

Back