Fuel taxes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife looked up what the NM legislators are actually doing.
Fuel tax increase, increased state income tax, talk about raising property taxes, more handouts, universal firearms background checks.
No talk of fixing actual problems with society that she sees as being a life long health care professional.
Then she looked at my W-2 and saw how much I paid for our health insurance.
She says she is probably never voting democrat again.
They did what I never could :twisted: .
She has been a registered dem for almost 25 years.
I asked her if she was going to change her registration and she said no and said something about destroying the party from within.
She is smarter than me and makes a lot more money than me. (She irradiates real live people with high energy ionizing radian using very large machines that I probably couldn't even figure out how to turn on)

Oilpan4 said:
No talk of fixing actual problems with society that she sees as being a life long health care professional.

Children getting shot in schools isn't an actual problem with society.

How is the gasoline golf cart holding up?

So a universal background check is supposed to stop someone who can't buy a gun from shooting up a school?
Please explain how that one works?

Now that you mention it:
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-24/doj-study-gun-control-laws-wont-work-because-criminals-get-their-guns-illegally

This mirrors a study by the DOJ in 2004 after the ridiculous brady bill assault weapons ban expired. That study named the brady bill specifically. And said it did nothing to reduce crime.
Plus I don't have anything to worry about, the ATF admits that between 2001 and 2016 91% of the people they put away for gun crime violations where minorities.
It's almost like these laws don't apply to me.
Gun control supporters are just accidental racists who aren't smart enough to realize who their laws really effect the most.
Just think if the cops wrote 91% of their speeding tickets to minorities, yeah how would that go over.

What are you talking about with a gasoline golf cart. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Oilpan4 said:
SageBrush said:
The only thing more retarded than new nuclear is fossils, but lucky for us we have solar and wind. Spend the money on grid infrastructure to expand geographic sharing and to open up resource rich areas for development.
only nuclear can reliably cover the night time base load.
Reference ?

That's how it works now and we know it works. Coal, natural gas, nuclear and hydro electric cover the base load because they are reliable.
We know solar isn't working at night and I live in just about the windiest place in the US and the wind stops most nights by 6 or 7pm during the winter and 7 to 8pm in the summer.

How is wind and solar going to cover the night time base load when it doesn't work?

Oilpan4 said:
That's how it works now and we know it works. Coal, natural gas, nuclear and hydro electric cover the base load because they are reliable.
We know solar isn't working at night and I live in just about the windiest place in the US and the wind stops most nights by 6 or 7pm during the winter and 7 to 8pm in the summer.

How is wind and solar going to cover the night time base load when it doesn't work?
https://youtu.be/eDCEjWNGv6Y

52 minutes well spent. If you don't feel like investing the 52 minutes, spoiler alert... we got off on a coal tangent because nuclear got on the wrong track by building the wrong reactor designs. Sort of a comedy of errors, in an unfunny comedy.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Oilpan4 said:

https://youtu.be/eDCEjWNGv6Y

52 minutes well spent. If you don't feel like investing the 52 minutes, spoiler alert... we got off on a coal tangent because nuclear got on the wrong track by building the wrong reactor designs. Sort of a comedy of errors, in an unfunny comedy.
Absolutely.
My mechanical and aerospace engineer friend believes the US nuclear power program has been criminally mismanaged since at least the 1980s when the US and the USSR agreed to reduce nuclear weapons stock piles.
Better reactor designs and concepts were ignored in favor of producing plutonium for nuclear weapons that weren't needed. We only had 15,000 to 20,000 weapons in inventory. There really isn't any scenario where we could use more than 10,000 before everyone in the northern hemisphere was dead.
Did we need the spare 10,000 to put everyone in southern africa, south America and Australia out of their misery?

Edit: I watched it, had to wait til I wasn't on mobile data. I bet none of the nuclear haters will bother to watch it and expand their knowledge. I found that the nuclear haters just want to continue to be ignorant torch and pitch fork carrying useful idiots.
Cause its easier just to hate.

Oilpan4 said:

Not weird. Normal for a good chunk of the country while other areas are the opposite. All depends on the climate. Terrain plays a small part. But its temperature differences that is the main driver for most.

I live in the middle of the highest wind production areas in the country.
Other areas might get wind at different times of day but no one gets more than we do as far as being over land.
Since I have been wind turbine climb certified and have a squeaky clean driving record I could be instantly hired at any of these wind farms.
But that would amount to a pay cut and an extra hour or 2 of driving to and from work every day.
That would mean I wouldn't be able to drive my leaf to work.

Oilpan4 said:
The state of new Mexico has a 2 billion dollar state surplus after 8 years of booming oil and gas industry.
Now a bunch of democrats got voted in and they waste no time in passing new taxes.
Instant state wide buyers remorse.
A lot of them will be gone next election cycle because of this.

One of the things they want to do is raise the state fuel tax 10 cents a gallon on gasoline and diesel. NM has one of the lowest state gasoline tax rates in the nation at 17 cents per gallon. Tax advisor near me company Your Books On Time. I guess they didn't pay any attention to what happened in france. People don't like it when you mess with their fuel taxes. This is why raising the fuel tax to fix the roads is BS. The state has had a surplus for the last 2 or 3 years and the roads didn't get fixed, they started redoing some roads last year if they were expansions, but just repairing existing roads, not so much and did it with out a tax increase.
Why would they suddenly get fixed now with the addition of a 10 cent fuel tax?
They're not and anyone who believes it is an idiot.
I have seen this before. When I lived in Virginia, the state fuel tax would be raised to "fix the roads" and nothing would change, if anything they stayed the same or got worse and all the money just went to I-81 and I-95 to mostly build more weight stations and buy road salt.
The biggest thing that seems to effect the amount of road work getting done appears to be crude oil and asphalt prices. All through 2010-2014 not a lot of road work got done here, not until oil prices broke below around $70 per barrel. When oil was over $100 a barrel they just posted a lower speed limits instead of fix the road.
If I though paying more taxes actually got me more services I would be all for it. If I though paying 10 cents a gallon for gas got 7 to 9 cents a gallon worth of better roads I would be like "shut up and take our money".
I don't have a dog in this fight, I mostly drive my leaf and this year my wife is likely getting a plug in hybrid hyundai, I expect our monthly gasoline bill to drop from $20 to $40 dollars per month down to effectively $0 so it really doesn't effect me. Better roads would be nice but I know it isn't going to happen.

I agree with you!

Actually since I posted this 2 more multi million dollar residential side street projects have opened up in my little S-hole town.
The state took bids and closed the deals late last year.
Obviously they don't need a new fuel tax to do road work.
The only thing one of the roads thats getting tore up is good for is to take a new car on a test drive on it and see how it rides.

Back