EVSE wiring and/or GFI Breaker

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oilpan4 said:
I don't use GFIC breakers on my charger circuits. Just what I need for the GFIC to trip after I plug the car in at night and walk away and come out to a car that hasn't charged at all when I have to go to work.

I thought of that too, which is why I installed my EVSE just inside the garage door and trail the cord out to cars in the driveway. However, outdoor installation on any circuit here requires GFCI, and on a 240v circuit there are limited options for outlets with GFCI from legit suppliers ( in a quick search on the Google right now and I'm not finding any that are not Chinese or off-brands). So a GFCI circuit breaker from a known entity might be the easiest/safest option.

I have bought 2 pole GFIC breakers up to 50 amps before in square D homeline and QO configuration. They are around $150 each I absolutely use them when doing hot tub or pool pump installs.
Lowes and homedepo are the cheapest places to get them. I normally buy them as part of a spa sub panel kit.

Oilpan4 said:
I have bought 2 pole GFIC breakers up to 50 amps before in square D homeline and QO configuration. They are around $150 each I absolutely use them when doing hot tub or pool pump installs.
Lowes and homedepo are the cheapest places to get them. I normally buy them as part of a spa sub panel kit.

Darn how everybody gets ripped off in US.
ABB and other known RCCDs with same parameters cost 25-45€ here where I live. And even this price already has profits included :geek:

RCCD is required for all exterior outlets and electrical devices. That includes EVSEs. AFAIK, EVSEs already come with RCCD built in. Mine did.

We are supposed to have them out side and in garages.
All my out side 120v ones are gfi.
Everything in garage is supposed to be but my high frequency start welder will trip them.

Oilpan4 said:
We are supposed to have them out side and in garages.
All my out side 120v ones are gfi.
Everything in garage is supposed to be but my high frequency start welder will trip them.

YEP, devices like that will trip those.
Have a different outlet for that device and get adjustable GFI breaker. Some have time-limitations and or current limit.
Ideally 30mA but welder might need more time and or current.
One GFI breaker per household is fine. Though expect everything goes black if you trip it :D

Multiple RCCD is actually a ripoff.
Those should theoretically NEVER trip.
Adding 15 breakers under one RCCD is absolutely fine.
It's important not to exceed maximum current. Therefore
either add up all the breakers or add a breaker before RCCD with the
same value as RCCD (except it RCCD already has current and short tripping function).

Back