lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:12 pm

palmermd wrote:I've been driving past my local Chevrolet dealership for years, and the lot is always completely full. It must be because they are not selling any cars. Otherwise the lot would be empty by now. I have no idea how they are still in business.
No OEM automotive company selling vehicles in the U.S. has > 200K reservations (per Elon Musk) as does Tesla for the M3 and
has excess inventory! Furthermore, none of those OEMs is borderline profitable with cash flow problems.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:35 pm

lorenfb wrote:
palmermd wrote:I've been driving past my local Chevrolet dealership for years, and the lot is always completely full. It must be because they are not selling any cars. Otherwise the lot would be empty by now. I have no idea how they are still in business.
No OEM automotive company selling vehicles in the U.S. has > 200K reservations (per Elon Musk) as does Tesla for the M3 and
has excess inventory! Furthermore, none of those OEMs is borderline profitable with cash flow problems.
How do you know the turnover rate of the cars in the parking lot? I just keep hearing about a full parking lot with Model 3. They all look alike, so how do you know how long they are sitting there. If they turnover every few days, then having cars on a lot staging for delivery is not a problem other than it means that they can't deliver fast enough in the short term. It does not necessarily mean that they are not selling and the cars are piling up from lack of sales. If the number is not growing then they did finally get deliveries matching production, and now they just need to get deliveries to exceed it to reduce the numbers in the staging area.

You are going to have to show me some evidence of cars sitting for long periods and not selling, and everything I've heard is that they are selling, and new ones are coming in just as fast. Its a problem the other OEM's wish they had.

What the other OEM's do have is a very well organized way of shipping and delivering cars, and later servicing them. This I can agree with...Tesla has some work to do in order to get this better organized.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:26 pm

palmermd wrote: You are going to have to show me some evidence of cars sitting for long periods and not selling, and everything I've heard is that they are selling, and new ones are coming in just as fast. Its a problem the other OEM's wish they had.
Take a drive today from Hermosa Beach along Vista Del Mar north to Culver Blvd just past the Marine Freeway (90). You'll see all the M3s in the
lot next to (east of) the building with satellites on the roof, at most for you a 15 minute drive. Those M3s have been there for over a month.
Then if you have some spare time, just go back a few blocks to Alda Rd where the Tesla distribution center is and consider helping Tesla by
buying a M3, which you could easily take delivery of today and help the Tesla Balance Sheet (+ cash - inventory). In Q3 & Q4 of 2018, Tesla
never had more than a few M3s anywhere around that distribution center that weren't being delivered. Even the MNL moderator agrees
to there being excess inventory, see up-thread.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:25 am

palmermd wrote: You are going to have to show me some evidence of cars sitting for long periods and not selling, and everything I've heard is that they are selling, and new ones are coming in just as fast. Its a problem the other OEM's wish they had.
FWIW, https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/01/tesla-s ... -site.html made me aware of https://tslaq.org/.

Unfortunately, since some of the contributors and/or the site have a motive, it's hard to know how reliable/authentic the field reports are and how many are just excess inventory vs. cars destined for a buyer/lessee already lined up.

I haven't gone thru them all for for some, looking at the original Twitter thread is interesting. Example https://tslaq.org/site-45-p4/ and a few others point to https://twitter.com/cppinvest/status/10 ... 7811156992.

https://tslaq.org/site-10-p4/ points to a previous post at https://tslaq.org/site-10-p3/. The location in the pic is right. It's probably around the closed Sears at https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6305157 ... 384!8i8192. I'm familiar with that area as I lived in that part of WA for many years.

The snow-covered ones in Illinois might be of interest.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

golfcart
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:19 am

palmermd wrote:
You are going to have to show me some evidence of cars sitting for long periods and not selling, and everything I've heard is that they are selling, and new ones are coming in just as fast. Its a problem the other OEM's wish they had.
I can only speak anecdotally but when I went to the Richmond, VA Tesla dealer a couple of weeks ago they were very clear that there were numerous TM3 on the lot and ready to be delivered that day at various trim levels. That says to me excess stock. There were at least 20 to 30 sitting there at the dealer ready to go to anyone that wanted them. They've also dropped the base price twice in the last couple of months which they would not do if they were still flying off the shelves.

I agree that any other car brand will have the same issue, look at how many 2018 Leaf are still on the lot. I think folks are just arguing that Tesla may have reached an inflection point where the initial demand for the higher end models has been satisfied and many of the remaining reservation holders and potential customers are waiting for a cheaper variant of the TM3... which may or may not get made anytime soon. So, at least for the U.S. market, you probably won't see sales numbers like you saw in 2018 for 2019. Time will tell...
2018 SV

golfcart
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:29 pm

I went to the Tesla site today to see if there was any update on the standard battery timeframe. I noticed that there is no mention of the model 3 standard battery availability anymore....
2018 SV

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:04 pm

Interesting that it's not listed any longer. I thought it might only be for a new order but my existing reservation does not allow it to show either. Hopefully it's just to keep from accepting new orders.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:16 pm

palmermd wrote:Interesting that it's not listed any longer. I thought it might only be for a new order but my existing reservation does not allow it to show either. Hopefully it's just to keep from accepting new orders.
I can also confirm it's no longer mentioned at https://3.tesla.com/model3/design#battery.

There was no way of ordering a standard range 3 even before this change, at least not via their web site.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:52 am

There's no value in creating confusion among new buyers coming on the scene, many of whom may have never heard of the short range battery and $35k promises. They need to be selling what's on the truck to people who can readily afford it, not pandering to people who in most cases probably have no business spending $35k for a car.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:There's no value in creating confusion among new buyers coming on the scene, many of whom may have never heard of the short range battery and $35k promises. They need to be selling what's on the truck to people who can readily afford it, not pandering to people who in most cases probably have no business spending $35k for a car.
Those grapes must be sour.

http://www.read.gov/aesop/005.html

Nissan can sell an electric car for a profit for less than $30k per car. Sure, slower, not long road trip capable, and so on.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”