Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
Dark current in the Leaf is spec'ed to be 50 ma or less from the 12v battery. So keeping an ELM plugged in with a 50ma draw at least doubles the dark current. So not a good idea to leave plugged in if you are not going to drive your Leaf for a while.

Not sure where you are getting the 100 times number from. Can you provide a link? Or is this just some general rule of thumb someone has come up with. But yes placing a device that which only increases dark current by 1% is better then using one that increases it by 100%.
I don't know the spec for the Leaf's total dark current. I have designed and manufactured equipment for Ford. Their spec was "less than 1 mA for an *individual* component". A 1.2 AH draw per day for a single device is excessive. Take a battery that has aged and has perhaps 25% of its original capacity. It may go on working perfectly to start the car if the dark current is low. But drain 1 AH per day from it and it will not start the car in a few days.

rubear said:
Turbo3 said:
Dark current in the Leaf is spec'ed to be 50 ma or less from the 12v battery. So keeping an ELM plugged in with a 50ma draw at least doubles the dark current. So not a good idea to leave plugged in if you are not going to drive your Leaf for a while.

Not sure where you are getting the 100 times number from. Can you provide a link? Or is this just some general rule of thumb someone has come up with. But yes placing a device that which only increases dark current by 1% is better then using one that increases it by 100%.
I don't know the spec for the Leaf's total dark current. I have designed and manufactured equipment for Ford. Their spec was "less than 1 mA for an *individual* component". A 1.2 AH draw per day for a single device is excessive. Take a battery that has aged and has perhaps 25% of its original capacity. It may go on working perfectly to start the car if the dark current is low. But drain 1 AH per day from it and it will not start the car in a few days.

From http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18258#p394661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
RegGuheert said:
According to this post, the published capacity of the factory 55B24L(S) battery is 45Ah at a 20-hr rate. Let's suppose it has about 50Ah at very low rates.

Unfortunately, when I later measured the LEAF current draw with the ELM327 installed, it was MUCH higher:
RegGuheert said:
So this morning I measured the current draw of the LEAF with it plugged in: 175 mA.
It seems the ELM327 draws about 6X what the entire LEAF draws when off, making the total draw about 7X as much!
LEAF dark current at spec of 50 ma is pretty high.
Some people have measured and found 25 ma.
But LEAF 12V charging protocol is poor, and does not keep it fully charged to start with.

And some have measured 175 with ELM.

I have been lucky so far leaving ELM plugged in.
But a week without driving is risky.
Depending on where the 12V was at the start of the week.

TimLee said:
rubear said:
Turbo3 said:

From http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18258#p394661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
RegGuheert said:
According to this post, the published capacity of the factory 55B24L(S) battery is 45Ah at a 20-hr rate. Let's suppose it has about 50Ah at very low rates.

Unfortunately, when I later measured the LEAF current draw with the ELM327 installed, it was MUCH higher:
RegGuheert said:
So this morning I measured the current draw of the LEAF with it plugged in: 175 mA.
It seems the ELM327 draws about 6X what the entire LEAF draws when off, making the total draw about 7X as much!
LEAF dark current at spec of 50 ma is pretty high.
Some people have measured and found 25 ma.
But LEAF 12V charging protocol is poor, and does not keep it fully charged to start with.

And some have measured 175 with ELM.

I have been lucky so far leaving ELM plugged in.
But a week without driving is risky.
Depending on where the 12V was at the start of the week.

I should add that I haven't measured the current of my ELM. I am going on what is published for it. Mine is a knock-off from EBay. I will measure my car's dark current with and without the ELM 327.

BTW, my 2013 Leaf makes a quiet "cluck" sound when 1st driving forward. It does not make this sound unless I drive in reverse, then drive forward again. Anyone else hear this? A friend's car does the same thing.
-Robert

Turbo3 said:
(Sorry I meant Blue)

The three blue status lights have nothing to do with aux mode. They are charge status lights that come on when you plug in the charge cable, when charging or for 15 minutes after a charge. Those are the times the EV CAN bus is active and the app can read data from it.

The difference in energy use is most likely due to elevation change. I live on a hill so I always see more energy used coming home than going out.

Sorry to bring this up after such a long time.

I have a 2013 Leaf, S Trim (without Navigation system and without Connect). I won't get any response from the car during charging (car off). It is only awake for a couple of seconds after charging has started, or climate timer has started, or simply after having switched it off. During these (short) periods requesting SOC as described here in the forum works perfect with the ELM327.

It would be much more useful if I could use the ELM327 adapter to ask for the SOC from time to time during charge. Is there a way to wake up the car?

Thanks for helping!

Turbo3 said:
As long as you have not modified your ELM to be powered only when the Leaf is on it should work.

Turbo3 I know this is a very old thread but just wanted to say thanks for writing Leaf Spy Pro. We just picked up a 2016 Leaf SL with 21.5K miles and over the last two days have learned so much using your software and a blue tooth adapter. Your Help files are so full of detailed info about the Leaf. I want to learn about the car and your software is helping so much in a technical way.

Back