Aftermarket hack and "chip"?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not directly related to the performance modding, but the entertainment and guidance system (the parts controlled by the touch screen) is based on windows embedded. Among other things, it might be possible to hack this to install Wifi in your car, and enable things like DLNA or remote monitoring. These are not activities likely to turn into consumer-level products, but hackers like myself like to tinker.

leafael said:

No but it may be that they can support more output which is irrelevant if the motor cooling, wires, and pack can't support the additional output. Auto makers will make wires exactly to the required spec to save money on quantity so don't expect much headroom for useful boosts in the parts dept. Even if the motor inverter is used in another model with more power they will use lower powered IGBT's and smaller wire to save a few bucks which adds up quickly. I have upgraded a Siemens inverter for more power but I was doing all the supporting parts so it was a non-issue. Even the main contactor on the leaf looks like a bare min for the specs. But really, all that work and time for a bit more power in a car like this, seems a bit silly. If it were a FIAT 500 EV or something with the suspension and drivability I could see doing this.

evdriver
don't you think that nissan would have produced this car to get max regen whenever they could as this would be a high priority on my list

leafael said:
evdriver
don't you think that nissan would have produced this car to get max regen whenever they could as this would be a high priority on my list

They don't need to do anything special, the car is now capable of 80kw of regen, all designs like this are capable of as much regen as the max motor output. Nissan has chosen to limit regen in the software so they can provide a more blended response to braking that id just like a car, thinking more regen is going to terrify the general consumer. Making it the same as an ICE would feel. There are ways to offer selectable options here but in the end the LEAF will waste quite a bit of energy for some drivers to the brake pads as a result of this VS other EVs. Altering this is not that difficult in general but with their brake system it could be more of a challenge. At a min one could give the ECO regen on the D mode which is far more practical for most experienced EV drivers and more useful that the dummy pedal mode.

Back