solartim

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:03 am

Strange goings on in the interwebs. The standard range battery has disappeared from the order page.
https://electrek.co/2019/02/18/tesla-st ... ans-panic/

https://youtu.be/lGpxTzNrNdk

EVDRIVER

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 am

solartim wrote:Strange goings on in the interwebs. The standard range battery has disappeared from the order page.
https://electrek.co/2019/02/18/tesla-st ... ans-panic/

https://youtu.be/lGpxTzNrNdk
eletrek click-bait FUD.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:11 pm

WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

EVDRIVER

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:29 pm

Regurgitated FUD. "Quietly deletes" What a joke of a headline, as if companies announce ever website update. I can't believe how pathetic blog titles are. So now Tesla is never making a lower priced EV because they changed their webpage "quietly" I have never seen a more pathetic attempt to influence stock prices as I have with Tesla.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:42 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:I have never seen a more pathetic attempt to influence stock prices as I have with Tesla.
"Funding secured."
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:42 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
Regurgitated FUD. "Quietly deletes" What a joke of a headline, as if companies announce ever website update. I can't believe how pathetic blog titles are. So now Tesla is never making a lower priced EV because they changed their webpage "quietly" I have never seen a more pathetic attempt to influence stock prices as I have with Tesla.
Have they discontinued the SR Model 3, or not? That's what matters.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

EVDRIVER

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:25 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
Let's hope so as it means mid-range will be the standard most likely.

lpickup
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:36 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
Even that doesn't really matter. What really matters (to me, and others) is whether or not Tesla continues on its path to achieve affordable, mass market sustainable transportation, or do they decide to just become another luxury automaker and be content with high profit margin vehicles sold in relatively low volume.

What really matters to shareholders is simply whether or not Tesla achieves profits to justify its market cap/stock price.

While either of those may imply a $35,000, 220 mile range vehicle without premium options, neither actually requires it.

And a particular schedule is not required either. If Tesla can't keep up with demand for its more expensive models as it is (and I realize there is significant debate about whether or not that is the case), then it should be acceptable to both groups to roll profits from those vehicles into additional capacity and cost improvements to eventually allow them to cross the "affordable" barrier (which was somewhat arbitrarily set at $35,000 in 2016, although that's actually a pretty fair number.

I personally don't think there is any doubt that Tesla will eventually get there. The economics of EVs themselves will make this happen. It may not happen on whatever schedule Elon says (he rarely gets the timing right) . And I don't think the mission of Tesla to transform the industry to sustainable transport has wavered at all.

At the end of the day, complaining about the fact that the $35,000 Tesla is not yet available is usually nothing more than an attempt to discredit Tesla. Yes, there are people that are legitimately waiting for that price point to jump into the EV market. Well guess what...it's simply not economical yet, but we are getting there, and will get there. You'll just have to settle for a slightly lesser vehicle for the time being. Hey, I think the Hyundai Kona EV could be an amazing vehicle if they commit to making enough of them.
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:11 pm

At the end of the day, complaining about the fact that the $35,000 Tesla is not yet available is usually nothing more than an attempt to discredit Tesla. Yes, there are people that are legitimately waiting for that price point to jump into the EV market. Well guess what...it's simply not economical yet, but we are getting there, and will get there. You'll just have to settle for a slightly lesser vehicle for the time being. Hey, I think the Hyundai Kona EV could be an amazing vehicle if they commit to making enough of them.
I'm not trying to discredit Tesla, affect stock prices, or even just take pot shots at them. I really wanted them to succeed. But if one of the main points of their mission statement turns out to be hogwash (and yes, it DOES matter if they produce an affordable Tesla soon, since that has been one of their selling points to investors, the government, the public...) then their image loses some of its sheen. I'm not satisfied with choosing to believe that someday, maybe far in the future, they will make affordable mass market cars.

As for "lesser" cars, as long as they make fast, uncomfortable cars without a luxury ride option, heated steering wheel, doors that can be opened reliably in subzero temps, little things like that, the Model 3 is, for many of us, just a very expensive "lesser car."
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 pm

Other leaked news/rumor this week was that Tesla has decided on a non-upgraded interior. If true then a less expensive Tesla will show up soon, although one cannot be sure whether it will be the $35k model. I'll guess under $40k for sure.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”