PIezo Instead of Feeble Alarm Horn Sound - Need Help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachLeaf

Hi all, I’d like to install a piezo or other device instead of hearing the horn sound when setting the car alarm. Having an audible confirmation (other than the cheap horn sound) I think would be helpful for me.

I attempted to install a piezo squealing device, yet the factory alarm activation pulse wasn’t enough to trigger the piezo to create a robust sound. Also, when the alarm activated because it’s pulsing, the piezo just squealed oddly on and off, which is not very effective.

I was hoping someone had some suggestions of how I can get a more pleasant quality sound when I activate the vehicle’s car alarm (like Toyota’s alarm set sound) . As it stands now, I have the horn beep function deactivated.

Thanks,

Mark

I'm no expert on this, but could you use a small relay designed for rapid cycles? Wire a sound generator of your design to the relay, and the horn activation wire(s) to the relay...

Hi, I was thinking the same, yet am stalled out on what sort of relay I would need.

I was hoping maybe the ground was the switching leg on the circuit, so I used another ground hoping I'd get continuous power instead of the pulsing power - yet no dice.

Are you able suggest an option for the type of relay to use?

Thanks so much :D

Mark

Thank you - hopefully someone else will also respond with some guidance :D

I looked up a latching relay, yet seemingly once the power is interrupted I think I'd be back to square one...

I know there's a solution, just need to find the right person to show it to me ;)

Thanks again,

Mark

Back