2018 Leaf Problem taking L2 charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrvous

Hi all,

I'm having a problem charging my 2018 Leaf S w/QC and hoping you can help me.

Car has 2000 miles and has been trouble free up to this point.

Recently, the car has had problems taking a level 2 charge. I received an error message on an Eaton commercial EVSE (just a red exclamation point). No lights illuminate on the windshield LEDs. My JuiceBox at home also doesn't charge the car either. I should add that I have a Chevy Volt and the JuiceBox charges that car up just fine.

Chademo seemed to work fine @ 22kW and charged the car up to 80%.
Also, the Factory Nissan EVSE charges up the car on 240V @ 6.0kW no problem.

12V battery level per LeafSpy is approx 14.5v while driving.
12V battery level per LeafSpy is approx 12.6-12.8 while car is off.

Any ideas about what's going on here? Problem with J1772 or something?

Thanks!

Good to know, but what's still puzzling is that it's exhibiting the same behavior on the JuiceBox. I'll look for a non-Eaton EVSE though just to rule that out. I'm starting to think it's time for a trip to the dealer...

My 2017 SV had a problem taking a charge either on the L2 or the DCFC and after several trips to get it serviced it turned out that the Nissan corporate had just sent out a Bulletin that identified an issue with the cooling of the onboard charging electronics. The cooling hose onboard the car had gotten kinked (or was installed kinked) and after a period of charging, the electronics were not getting enough cooling and shut down. Yes, we actually have a cooling system, but it does not cool the battery. I would have thought your 2018 Leaf would not have this problem, since it is addressed in a Service Bulletin, but it might be something to check.

Very interesting...for me it turned out to be a problem with the actual EVSE and not the car. All is working fine now but I will ask about any service bulletins next time I have to go to the dealer.

dougfevfan2017 said:
My 2017 SV had a problem taking a charge either on the L2 or the DCFC and after several trips to get it serviced it turned out that the Nissan corporate had just sent out a Bulletin that identified an issue with the cooling of the onboard charging electronics. The cooling hose onboard the car had gotten kinked (or was installed kinked) and after a period of charging, the electronics were not getting enough cooling and shut down. Yes, we actually have a cooling system, but it does not cool the battery. I would have thought your 2018 Leaf would not have this problem, since it is addressed in a Service Bulletin, but it might be something to check.

Back