testing my range anxiety

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned my Leaf for less than a month now and decided to test my range anxiety on Sunday afternoon when a family situation required that I travel from Boston to Hackensack and back (approx. 450 miles) in 2 1/2 days. All of my charging on the trip was free, taking advantage of the EVgo free charge deal and other free charging stations along the way.

It's winter here in the northeast united states, so the temperature ranges from 30 - 40 degrees F. there was also an incredibly fierce wind storm during much of this trip and that probably reduced some of my range.

The travel went like this:

Boston -> New Haven, 138 miles
stopped for a 30 minute quick charge at a ChaDEmo station on the Mass Pike a third of the way
also charged in New Haven at a J1772 station overnight at the destination

New Haven -> Hackensack, 80 miles
stopped for a 30 minute quick charge at a ChaDEmo station at the destination in New Jersey while eating breakfast
parked the car for eight hours or so and then got another quick charge at a ChaDEmo station before heading back to New Haven

Hackensack -> New Haven, 80 miles
got a 30 minute quick charge at a ChaDEmo station at a Dunkin Donuts in New Haven
stayed overnight

New Haven -> Boston, 150 miles
stopped for a 30 minute quick charge at the awesome Grossman Nissan dealership in Old Saybrook, CT
stopped for a 30 minute quick charge at a Dunkin Donuts in Warwick, Rhode Island

I tried to keep the heat off when I didn't need it for defrosting or thawing my toes and i learned that the Leaf's predicted range was closer to being true when i drove with the ePedal and kept it in Eco. i also kept an eye on the battery temperature after quick charges when the battery temperature would go past the half way point.

At first, range anxiety would set in when i got under 20% battery, but now i'm comfortable closer to 10% battery. The trick is having a comfortable cushion of range to drive to get to your next working charging station.

I didn't buy this car with the intention of driving trips like this; 95% of the time, i'll be driving less than 10 miles per day. But I wanted to know that i could do it. and i wanted to show the car to my Dad and have him test drive it. a couple members of my family are republicans and seem generally opposed to alternative energy. You know, it was President Carter who put solar panels on the White House and Reagan who tore them down and now the Green New Deal is a "radical dem" thing. BUT, the one thing my Republican family members don't do is argue about is free EV charging. These are folks who'll drive an xtra 10 miles to save a nickel per gallon on gas!

I drive about 1,000 miles a month for around $20 to $25, I can't complain.

No free or paid for evse or DC rapid chargers with in range of my leaf here.

Nah, they lost their right to that claim when they used MY tax dollars to send their kid to college at the Coast Guard Academy. Lolz, complicated world

Back