$35k Model 3 now available

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lothsahn

Tesla launched the $35k Model 3! Available on the website:
220 miles, 130 mph, 5.6 0-60
Only available in black, standard interior, short range, RWD. Other colors or options raise the price. Available in 2-4 weeks, at least according to the website.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/35000-tesla-model-3-available-now

$35,000 Tesla Model 3 Available Now

The Tesla Team February 28, 2019

We are incredibly excited to announce that the standard Model 3, with 220 miles of range, a top speed of 130 mph and 0-60 mph acceleration of 5.6 seconds is now available at $35,000! Although lower in cost, it is built to achieve the same perfect 5-star safety rating as the longer-ranged version, which has the lowest probability of injury of any car ever tested by the U.S. Government.

In addition, we are introducing the Model 3 Standard Range Plus, which offers 240 miles of range, a top speed of 140 mph, 0-60 mph acceleration of just 5.3 seconds and most premium interior features at $37,000 before incentives. For 6% more money, you get 9% more range, more power, and an upgraded interior.

To achieve these prices while remaining financially sustainable, Tesla is shifting sales worldwide to online only. You can now buy a Tesla in North America via your phone in about 1 minute, and that capability will soon be extended worldwide. We are also making it much easier to try out and return a Tesla, so that a test drive prior to purchase isn’t needed. You can now return a car within 7 days or 1,000 miles for a full refund. Quite literally, you could buy a Tesla, drive several hundred miles for a weekend road trip with friends and then return it for free. With the highest consumer satisfaction score of any car on the road, we are confident you will want to keep your Model 3.

Shifting all sales online, combined with other ongoing cost efficiencies, will enable us to lower all vehicle prices by about 6% on average, allowing us to achieve the $35,000 Model 3 price point earlier than we expected. Over the next few months, we will be winding down many of our stores, with a small number of stores in high-traffic locations remaining as galleries, showcases and Tesla information centers. The important thing for customers in the United States to understand is that, with online sales, anyone in any state can quickly and easily buy a Tesla.

At the same time, we will be increasing our investment in the Tesla service system, with the goal of same-day, if not same-hour service, and with most service done by us coming to you, rather than you coming to us. Moreover, we guarantee service availability anywhere in any countries in which we operate.

We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

If car manufacturers did away with most dealerships like tesla it could reduce the price of that manufacturers vehicles by $1,000 to $2,000.

Kind of sucks when the manufacturers try to save a few dollars here and and a few cents there and the car buyer feels the pain.

I guess they still do not lease

You have to ask yourself with the Model 3 at $35K, why would I buy a Leaf SL?

I am so happy I lease not bought.......they can have the car back in 3 years and I can walk away

I actually don't object - with the proviso that this topic doesn't turn into a war between Tesla fans and Tesla haters. Please keep it about this subject, and it will be easier for new people to read about it. It's a shame about it being in the wrong forum, but until I find a way to successfully move topics, it can stay.

You have to ask yourself with the Model 3 at $35K, why would I buy a Leaf SL?

Someone who wants a pleasant ride, ease of entry/exit and comfortable interior, and comforts like heated steering wheel, would be better off with a Leaf SV or SL, but I would suggest leasing one rather than buying. You can always buy it when the lease ends. The Model 3 and Leaf aren't really direct competitors, IMO. The Model 3 and the Bolt are.

Reaching that price point is pretty amazing, but I'm concerned about Tesla's reliability. They seem to be the BMW of the EV market.

However, I'm sure it will sell like crazy as very few people make analytical & objective car buying purchases.

Personally, I'd only consider a Tesla once they iron out, over the next few years, their production and QC issues.

Baltneu said:
IYou have to ask yourself with the Model 3 at $35K, why would I buy a Leaf SL?

One good reason is ProPilot. On the Leaf SL it’s a $695 option. On the Model 3 you have to buy it as part of AutoPilot, and that’s a $5k option. You can save an additional $2k if you buy the SV instead and add the ProPilot ($2200 on that trim level).

Another reason is Federal Tax Credit. Nissan is still eligible for the full $7500; Tesla’s is now half that. If demand becomes extreme and you can’t take delivery of your new $35k Tesla before July 1, the credit is halved again.

I do hope that Tesla FINALLY releasing the base model will force other manufacturers, particularly GM, to lower their prices.

RonDawg said:
Baltneu said:

One good reason is ProPilot. On the Leaf SL it’s a $695 option. On the Model 3 you have to buy it as part of AutoPilot, and that’s a $5k option.
It was $5K. It's now $3K on the SR for Autopilot.
RonDawg said:
Another reason is Federal Tax Credit. Nissan is still eligible for the full $7500; Tesla’s is now half that. If demand becomes extreme and you can’t take delivery of your new $35k Tesla before July 1, the credit is halved again.

I do hope that Tesla FINALLY releasing the base model will force other manufacturers, particularly GM, to lower their prices.
Yes on all of the above.

One thing that dismays me is perhaps Model 3 will not (ever?) have a metal roof. When you click on the packages, it says "All Interiors Include:
Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection". I didn't want the glass roof due to folks having cracks in them already. Unclear how many are due to defects vs. design flaw vs. just another vulnerable piece of glass to be struck by debris. I wouldn't want it to be a $ pit once out of warranty for that. Also, Model 3's reliability record is questionable, as are Tesla's, in general, esp. once out of warranty.

Enough folks have had problems like https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/weird-rain-damage.131679/ and https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ripped-undercarriage-composite-from-the-rain.131903/ along stupid design flaws like rain dripping into the trunk when you open it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCv_Ha0oWjE, Model 3 owner at work told me about this well before this video) helps validate what I've seen about Tesla. Their vehicles always seem like rush jobs.

When at least 3 Model S folks on TMC have been thru 7+ drive units and the Model X continues to be a reliability disaster, one has to wonder what their long-term reliability and durabiity testing looks like vs. other automakers: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/automotive-reliability-and-durability-testing.56176/.

I really hope this thread can be moved or merged.

LeftieBiker said:
Give me a tree listing of where it should be, as opposed to where it is now.
Should go into http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewforum.php?f=10 (Board index / Non LEAF Discussions / Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids) or better yet, merged into http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18016.

Right now this makes little sense:
"LEAF Ownership
General / Main Owners Forum
General Forum for Leaf Owners to discuss & describe Leaf experience "

Ok, I now know how to do that. I still think a new topic is acceptable, as there are something like 335 pages in the "Official" topic, most of them arguments.

LeftieBiker said:
Ok, I now know how to do that. I still think a new topic is acceptable, as there are something like 335 pages in the "Official" topic, most of them arguments.
Alrighty...

LOL on the latter. I've been too busy to chime in much today here on and other forums.

cwerdna said:
RonDawg said:
Baltneu said:

One good reason is ProPilot. On the Leaf SL it’s a $695 option. On the Model 3 you have to buy it as part of AutoPilot, and that’s a $5k option.
It was $5K. It's now $3K on the SR for Autopilot..

I’m curious why Tesla is charging so much less on the base model. Is there some sort of reduced functionality? Otherwise I’d expect Tesla to charge MORE, the same way Nissan is charging $2200 for ProPilot on the SV but only $695 on the SL.

^^^
I haven't checked every single choice at https://3.tesla.com/model3/design#battery, but it looks like autopilot is $3K at time of order, regardless of SR, SR+, MR, LR, or AWD. Prior to the Feb 28th announcement, for all the versions available, I'm fairly sure it was $5K for AP.

It is interesting that "Full Self-Driving Capability" is available again and the capabilities they now claim. Pic of that at https://imgur.com/a/48lgKl9.

Knowing how much Tesla keeps playing w/configs and prices, for all we know, it could be different 3 months from now.

Back