$35k Model 3 now available

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
^^^
I haven't checked every single choice at https://3.tesla.com/model3/design#battery, but it looks like autopilot is $3K at time of order, regardless of SR, SR+, MR, LR, or AWD. Prior to the Feb 28th announcement, for all the versions available, I'm fairly sure it was $5K for AP..

It was. Jason of Engineering Explained (who only recently got his 2nd Model 3) mentions that (now old) price right in the title of one of his videos:

https://youtu.be/mBDfzQFhh1U

So it’s an across-the-board price drop.

RonDawg said:
cwerdna said:
It was $5K. It's now $3K on the SR for Autopilot..
I’m curious why Tesla is charging so much less on the base model. Is there some sort of reduced functionality? Otherwise I’d expect Tesla to charge MORE, the same way Nissan is charging $2200 for ProPilot on the SV but only $695 on the SL.
They now charge $3000 for autopilot across all models, including S and X.

But this is now called "Autopilot", and is just traffic-aware cruise-control plus lane keeping. The no-longer-offered $5000 version was called "Enhanced Autopilot", and also included "Navigate on Autopilot", Summon, and Autopark. In order to get those features on a new car order, you have to order the "Full Self Driving" option, which is $5000 on top of the $3000 for Autopilot.

garsh said:
RonDawg said:
cwerdna said:
It was $5K. It's now $3K on the SR for Autopilot..
I’m curious why Tesla is charging so much less on the base model. Is there some sort of reduced functionality? Otherwise I’d expect Tesla to charge MORE, the same way Nissan is charging $2200 for ProPilot on the SV but only $695 on the SL.
They now charge $3000 for autopilot across all models, including S and X.

But this is now called "Autopilot", and is just traffic-aware cruise-control plus lane keeping. The no-longer-offered $5000 version was called "Enhanced Autopilot", and also included "Navigate on Autopilot", Summon, and Autopark. In order to get those features on a new car order, you have to order the "Full Self Driving" option, which is $5000 on top of the $3000 for Autopilot.
Right.
Assisted driving is packaged differently now. Smart of Tesla to part out TACC although $3,000 is still expensive. I suspect that they will have a lot more than 2x demand at $1,500 to $2,000.

Summary for those not in/following other TM3 threads:

Little table from SolarExec on gm-volt.com
Code:
Model    US Range       Price Ex Incentive    Comments
SR       220 Miles      $35,000 Standard Interior
SR Plus  240 Miles      $37,000 Upgraded Interior
MR RWD   264 Miles      $40,000 Premium Interior
LR RWD   325 Miles      $43,000 Premium Interior
LR AWD   310 Miles      $47,000 Plus All-Wheel-Drive
Perform. 310 Miles      $58,000 Plus Insanely Quick

Shivetya on gm-volt.com
Code:
Standard Interior Includes:
    Manual seat and steering adjustment
    Cloth seats and base trim
    Basic audio
    Standard maps and navigation
    Center console with storage and 4 USB ports

Partial Premium Interior Includes:
    12-way power adjustable heated front seats
    Premium seat material and trim
    Upgraded audio – immersive sound
    Standard maps & navigation
    LED fog lamps
    Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones

Premium Interior Includes:
    12-way power adjustable front and rear heated seats
    Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
    Satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization and navigation
    In-car internet streaming music & media
    Internet browser
    Location-aware automatic garage door opener
    LED fog lamps
    Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones

All Interiors Include:
    Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
    Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
    Music and media over Bluetooth ®
    Custom driver profiles

smkettner said:
Will be interesting how demand shakes out over the next 3 to 6 months.

Indeed. Demand will likely be strong until June 30 when the credit is halved a second time. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up sales once that credit is down to $1875, and especially after the end of the year when it becomes $0.

After a VERY strong second half of 2018, Model 3 sales dropped dramatically for January and February 2019 (though they still sold more than anybody else): https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

RonDawg said:
smkettner said:
Will be interesting how demand shakes out over the next 3 to 6 months.

Indeed. Demand will likely be strong until June 30 when the credit is halved a second time. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up sales once that credit is down to $1875, and especially after the end of the year when it becomes $0.

After a VERY strong second half of 2018, Model 3 sales dropped dramatically for January and February 2019 (though they still sold more than anybody else): https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Sales did, but much of that is because production is now being sent to Europe and China.

Zythryn said:
RonDawg said:

Sales did, but much of that is because production is now being sent to Europe and China.

Note that Model S sales also dropped.

Well, first of all these are estimates from Inside EV and not reported values. And there really is nothing to see here since the numbers are down 8 percent and the month has 9 percent fewer days to sell cars. Seems the press is going into attack mode on Tesla in the last week with a bunch of things are are really meaningless.

And I'm not talking about inside EV's, but all the other reports that are using this to say that it is doom and gloom for Tesla because the numbers are down as reported by them.

Code:
			                 % change
Model 3	6500	5750	-11.5384615385
Model X	950	1100	15.7894736842
Model S	875	800	-8.5714285714

total	8325	7650	-8.1081081081

Month	31	28	-9.6774193548

RonDawg said:
Seasonality + shift to China & Europe.

If you look back, you will see that Tesla sales are highest at the quarter end (as they shift deliveries to US in the quarter closing month). This is part of seasonality. And ofcourse, all EVs have always had a big drop of in Jan/Feb compared to Q4.

Zythryn said:

The Europe/China production was from late Q4 2018 and early January 2019. Remember, the quoted Tesla M3 production capability is > 20K per month,
and Europe/China deliveries were less than $25K. So let's avoid rationalizing Tesla's poor U.S. sales in January/February as being related to
limited production capacity. Besides, Tesla has had a fairly large M3 excess inventory lately throughout the U.S. The M3/MS/MX price reductions
are the result of a marginal overall demand, i.e. it's that simple. The key is issue is whether the price reductions, especially the M3's, will
generate enough volume to offset the reduction in overall GP in 2019. Q1 2019 is already expected to have a loss, e.g. the latest TSLA price drop.

Bottom Line: The BEV market is still basically inelastic until the price point reaches less than $25K.

I turned down the call offering a 35K 3. In the Mercedes B I had the 84 EPA range and it was adequate for retired me. My IoniQ gets 136 EPA miles and it is good enough for me. I got tired of waiting for Tesla. The IoniQ is filled with bells and whistles muck more so than the CARB B.

Back