Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lpickup said:
They could be allowing a deeper discharge. They could have tweaked something to make the drivetrain more efficient.
What, specifically ? Certainly not cell discharge below 2.6V.
And why would it not extend to the AWD or Tesla MR ?

dgpcolorado said:
I wonder if the SR and SR partial premium models are software limited MR batteries? It would make manufacturing much easier and offer the option to open up the battery later for a fee (or when Tesla takes them back as trade-ins).
I'm sure the SR point was already answered in the conference call or another place. It was stated that the battery is different. I googled but couldn't figure out the right keywords to drill down on this specific topic!

theothertom said:
evnow said:
I really doubt any of the German luxury car makers can make anything close to 3 in price - anytime soon. By "soon" I mean in next 5 years. But in those 5 years - Tesla will be further along with Y & Pickup and …. I'd be very worried if I was a BMW dealer now.
Well...If BMW wanted to make a sparsely appointed 220 mile range EV for 35K, I think they could. But I don't think that's their business model. They're going to make a 400 mile range EV (X3, 4 series) with luxury appointments. Look at the price of a model 3 long range with all the bells and whistles. This would compare to a BMW, price wise.
"Making" is not the thing - can they make in volume and be profitable ?

From various reports I've seen - not anytime soon.

palmermd said:
Two things. You quoted a five year old post. The op was right BMW and other Germans did not put out anything to match that spec. But it also took Tesla 5 years to do it as well.

It'll be interesting to see the industry reaction over the next six months.
The 5 year old post was in response to what I had predicted - 5 years back. So makes sense to quote that, right ? That says nothing about Germans - just that Tesla would put out a 200+ mile range 3, instead of anything smaller like some were saying.

dgpcolorado said:
I wonder if the SR and SR partial premium models are software limited MR batteries? It would make manufacturing much easier and offer the option to open up the battery later for a fee (or when Tesla takes them back as trade-ins).

Speculation in TMC is that the new German machines can probably make blank modules and put them in the pack. So, they can easily make batteries of different sizes.

evnow said:
dgpcolorado said:

Speculation in TMC is that the new German machines can probably make blank modules and put them in the pack. So, they can easily make batteries of different sizes.
I think you are right when it comes to the MR and SR difference. I still think it is possible that the SR and SR+ are the same battery, with the former being a software limited version of the latter. We will know soon once deliveries have been made.

dgpcolorado said:
I think you are right when it comes to the MR and SR difference. I still think it is possible that the SR and SR+ are the same battery, with the former being a software limited version of the latter. We will know soon once deliveries have been made.
Well - we'll see soon enough.

If what Musk is describing as Game of Pennies is true - the hundreds of dollars of difference in battery cost between SR & SR+ would be a big deal. It could be the difference between positive and negative margins.

ps : I don't think the take rate for upgrading will be high - given just 20 miles of difference. And also, how much would that cost … $1k ? They could have bought SR+ for just $2k more and would get better interior.

Tesla would like to sell AP & FSD and get multiple thousands, rather than <$1k for battery unlocking.

Non-Tesla graphics but they seem good.
Old AP, EAP, FSD options
New AP, FSD options

Via: https://insideevs.com/recent-changes-tesla-autopilot-availability/

Table-v6-dear-god-563x1024.png

Shown another way via TroyTesLike twitter acct:

LLg3XrC.jpg

scottf200 said:
dgpcolorado said:
I'm sure the SR point was already answered in the conference call or another place. It was stated that the battery is different. I googled but couldn't figure out the right keywords to drill down on this specific topic!
Check the car weights

Am I understanding the Tesla page correctly that you need to upgrade to the partial premium interior to get heated seats? Or do the cloth ones come heated but they just don't mention it explicitly?

golfcart said:
Am I understanding the Tesla page correctly that you need to upgrade to the partial premium interior to get heated seats?
That is my read.
The $2,000 strikes me as excellent value between the interior upgrades, faster car and 20 miles extra range.

SageBrush said:
golfcart said:
Am I understanding the Tesla page correctly that you need to upgrade to the partial premium interior to get heated seats?
That is my read.
The $2,000 strikes me as excellent value between the interior upgrades, faster car and 20 miles extra range.

Yes, I agree that is the best value. Unfortunately that would bump it up to $39700 + tax with the silver paint.

golfcart said:
SageBrush said:
golfcart said:
That is my read.

Yes, I agree that is the best value. Unfortunately that would bump it up to $39700 + tax with the silver paint.
Is there a silver option ? I have to admit, the color pricing scheme has gotten out of hand.

SageBrush said:
golfcart said:
SageBrush said:
That is my read.

Is there a silver option ? I have to admit, the color pricing scheme has gotten out of hand.

I guess it's more of a gray not silver, I just don't like black cars. I'd have to get gray/silver, blue, or white.

I'm also in a personal property tax City (4% of assessed value over $20k + 2% of under $20k assessed value annually) which makes the higher resale of the Tesla a bad thing for me.

The more I look at the budget the more the 2018 SV fire sale looks like the way to go... It's enough range under warranty for 8 years and I don't have to spend $1500 to get a color I like.

golfcart said:
The more I look at the budget the more the 2018 SV fire sale looks like the way to go... It's enough range under warranty for 8 years and I don't have to spend $1500 to get a color I like.
But then you get to spend that amount *again* in 8 years. And at least for the first 8 years you have a hobbled car that is only good for local duties.

I don't see the value.

SageBrush said:
golfcart said:
But then you get to spend that amount *again* in 8 years. And at least for the first 8 years you have a hobbled car that is only good for local duties.

I don't see the value.

It's half the price for that 8 years, that's the value. And there's no reason to believe I couldn't get 10+ out of the car it's not like I'll be at 8 bars the day the warranty expires.

I get your point I just think for my situation I could drive it for a decade then give it to the kid.

golfcart said:
SageBrush said:
golfcart said:

I don't see the value.

It's half the price for that 8 years, that's the value. And there's no reason to believe I couldn't get 10+ out of the car it's not like I'll be at 8 bars the day the warranty expires.

I get your point I just think for my situation I could drive it for a decade then give it to the kid.

If you have a good warranty, So far replaced on my 3 in 4 months:

Steering wheel
Turn signal control
Entire passenger seat (barely used)
Entire upper dash

Stay tuned,.

EVDRIVER said:
If you have a good warranty, So far replaced on my 3 in 4 months:

Steering wheel
Turn signal control
Entire passenger seat (barely used)
Entire upper dash

Stay tuned,.
For the turn signal control, I'm guessing you had this problem: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/psa-left-turn-signal-doesnt-reset-defective-steering-control-module.129414/.

Woah on the rest of the things.

Back