Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
It has been extensively simulated and Tesla knows that its system cannot reliably recognize the above mentioned scenario.
Do you have details?
By the way, there are ~ 200 - 400 similar accidents each year in the US unrelated to assisted driving technology. The Europeans require trucks to have a shield to prevent this type of accident and the US should too.
Accident still happens with shield.

Accident still happens with shield.

The shield prevents the car from 'under-running' the truck, and the impact occurs at the nose and front hood of the car, instead of the roof being sheared off as the car goes under the trailer or undercarriage of the truck, and the impact hitting the front occupants directly. (Rear occupants don't fare much better.) The shields/guards are available for both the rear and sides of large trucks. They just haven't been universally mandated.

palmermd said:
lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
"Pro-pilot" is equally deceiving.

I'm partial to "Co-pilot" myself, to emphasize that the human driver must stay engaged.

Personally, I don't even enjoy using any form of assisted driving on my vehicles.

then the $35k base Model 3 should be perfect. It does not come with any driver assist. It is what I ordered, and I don't think I'll miss it.

Right, but then Tesla needs to update the M3:

1. Eliminate glass roof
2. Improve the Ikea/teak looking dash
3. Eliminate electric door handles
4. Add a small drivers display/HUD
5. Have optional FOB entry
6. Improve Chevy Malibu look front/rear
7. Significantly increase service centers
8. Add hatchback option

lorenfb said:
1. Eliminate glass roof
8. Add hatchback option
9. Added a heated steering wheel

WetEV said:
lorenfb said:
1. Eliminate glass roof
8. Add hatchback option

10. White is standard.
My checkbook is open!

lorenfb said:
WetEV said:
lorenfb said:
1. Eliminate glass roof
8. Add hatchback option

10. White is standard.
My checkbook is open!

Like I said, you will never own one because you want it designed to your spec and taste. They have FOB entry, available there are plenty of service centers near you, a HUD is not needed and you would know that if you ever drove one, there rest are just poor excuses you use not to buy. Educate yourself on the car, drive one for a week. Your checkbook is never going to open, we all know that.

Besides, Tesla does not have an option to opt out of component level firmware upgrades so you would have to get them even though you say they do not exist.

EVDRIVER said:
lorenfb said:
WetEV said:

10. White is standard.
My checkbook is open!

Like I said, you will never own one because you want it designed to your spec and taste. They have FOB entry, available there are plenty of service centers near you, a HUD is not needed and you would know that if you ever drove one, there rest are just poor excuses you use not to buy. Educate yourself on the car, drive one for a week. Your checkbook is never going to open, we all know that.

Besides, Tesla does not have an option to opt out of component level firmware upgrades so you would have to get them even though you say they do not exist.

Talking to me or Lorenfb?

I assure you I've driven cars without a heated steering wheel before... Many times.

But yes, the Model 3 isn't a likely choice for me. Has things I really don't want, doesn't have things I really want. Has things I'd rather not have, and doesn't have things I'd like to have.

The Leaf Plus is closer. Although I'm not likely to buy for a couple of years, the Leaf 2014 is doing just fine. All twelve capacity bars, low maintenance and repair cost. Will need to buy tires before 60k miles.

Tesla cars seem to be high repair cost. I really don't like that.

WetEV said:
EVDRIVER said:
lorenfb said:
10. White is standard.
My checkbook is open!

Talking to me or Lorenfb?

I assure you I've driven cars without a heated steering wheel before... Many times.

But yes, the Model 3 isn't a likely choice for me. Has things I really don't want, doesn't have things I really want. Has things I'd rather not have, and doesn't have things I'd like to have.

The Leaf Plus is closer. Although I'm not likely to buy for a couple of years, the Leaf 2014 is doing just fine. All twelve capacity bars, low maintenance and repair cost. Will need to buy tires before 60k miles.

Tesla cars seem to be high repair cost. I really don't like that.

Loren of course:)

'Your Model 3 is now...' Twitter / reddit post:

https://twitter.com/TeslaPodcast/status/1103483805594198016

r8yogkX.jpg

Wow! Not quite LEAF speed but fast. The irony is Tesla needs to heat its pack to charge faster while Nissan needs to cool it to charge faster.

EVDRIVER said:
Wow! Not quite LEAF speed but fast. The irony is Tesla needs to heat its pack to charge faster while Nissan needs to cool it to charge faster.

Which is perfect for roadtripping where the built-in Route Planner knows you are stopping at Superchargers (waypoints).

Tesla page (https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-v3-supercharging) quote:
On-Route Battery Warmup
New Supercharging infrastructure isn’t the only way we are improving our customers’ charging experience. Beginning this week, Tesla is rolling out a new feature called On-Route Battery Warmup. Now, whenever you navigate to a Supercharger station, your vehicle will intelligently heat the battery to ensure you arrive at the optimal temperature to charge, reducing average charge times for owners by 25%.

SageBrush said:
lpickup said:
They could be allowing a deeper discharge. They could have tweaked something to make the drivetrain more efficient.
What, specifically ? Certainly not cell discharge below 2.6V.
And why would it not extend to the AWD or Tesla MR ?

I don't know what specifically because I don't work for Tesla nor have inside knowledge. My point is that increasing the max cell voltage (as you suggested as an authoritative test) is not the only method by which they could extend the range (and keep in mind, I agree with you that this is probably more a sleight of hand/code than an actual range increase). In fact, increasing the max cell voltage is probably somewhat down the list since there is probably little headroom and that would probably be the most risky method to use.

But yes, allowing the cells to discharge to a point 0.5% lower (back of the envelope would amount to about 6mV) would be an option, as would other measures like less aggressively managing pack temperature or a whole host of other things like more efficiently running controllers. It is not out of the realm of possibility that Tesla has been gathering data and finding places where they can tweak efficiency or allow certain parameters to exceed their original specs (including both max and min cell voltage).

SageBrush said:
golfcart said:
The more I look at the budget the more the 2018 SV fire sale looks like the way to go... It's enough range under warranty for 8 years and I don't have to spend $1500 to get a color I like.
But then you get to spend that amount *again* in 8 years. And at least for the first 8 years you have a hobbled car that is only good for local duties.

I don't see the value.

I don't see the desire to keep an 8 year old car that is part of emerging technology. I guess we all have a blind side.

EVDRIVER said:

Not as true as it once was. Seeing 40 kwh packs dropping charge like crazy while accelerating uphill on very cold days only to regain that power on the downslope. IOW; SOC (yeah not a typo...) going from 60 to 20 to 55%...

DaveinOlyWA said:
EVDRIVER said:

Not as true as it once was. Seeing 40 kwh packs dropping charge like crazy while accelerating uphill on very cold days only to regain that power on the downslope. IOW; SOC (yeah not a typo...) going from 60 to 20 to 55%...

Sounds like yet another BMS bug.

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
golfcart said:
The more I look at the budget the more the 2018 SV fire sale looks like the way to go... It's enough range under warranty for 8 years and I don't have to spend $1500 to get a color I like.
But then you get to spend that amount *again* in 8 years. And at least for the first 8 years you have a hobbled car that is only good for local duties.

I don't see the value.

I don't see the desire to keep an 8 year old car that is part of emerging technology. I guess we all have a blind side.
Is "emerging" the PC way to say POS when discussing the LEAF ? Because I assure you, my Tesla is a wonderful car today and I expect it to be a wonderful car in 8 years.

DaveinOlyWA said:
EVDRIVER said:

Right, opposite ends of the spectrum.

WetEV said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
EVDRIVER said:

Sounds like yet another BMS bug.

That would hardly surprise me. The BMS/LBC is crap.

Back