Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's absolutely amazing that we are talking about the same topic (lack of TMS) almost 9 years after the introduction of the Leaf! If Nissan had only increased battery pack capacity (say double) like we all assumed (remember what happens when you assume), then we probably wouldn't still be talking about it. In fact, Nissan would probably be collecting additional revenue from Leaf owners (like myself) who would have gladly paid for the larger battery capacities available today. Missed opportunities...

Stanton said:
I think it's absolutely amazing that we are talking about the same topic (lack of TMS) almost 9 years after the introduction of the Leaf!
Believe it. Nissan made a big bet in 2010 that did not go as intended. They have been squeezing water out of that stone ever since in hopes of limiting their losses and to time the write-off as best they can. The Nissan EV program is in zombie mode and only the most self-deluded cannot see it.

Stanton said:
I think it's absolutely amazing that we are talking about the same topic (lack of TMS) almost 9 years after the introduction of the Leaf! If Nissan had only increased battery pack capacity (say double) like we all assumed (remember what happens when you assume), then we probably wouldn't still be talking about it. In fact, Nissan would probably be collecting additional revenue from Leaf owners (like myself) who would have gladly paid for the larger battery capacities available today. Missed opportunities...
Exactly; they have made poor EV policy decisions, especially having to do with batteries...and I think they have lost many returning customers ($$$) as a result.

The problem is that they have taken the vehicle and tied it's life to that of the battery. For example, when my 2013 hits 60K-80K miles on it and I need to replace the battery (1 bar lost at 45K) it will have a blue book value of about $4K-$5K and a replacement battery is about $6K.
Very few people will want to invest that much in an older car with a range so much less than current models.
I expect I will use the car until the range has dropped so much it cannot be used for simple errands, then junk it. A pity for a vehicle that should have so much life in it.
Another example of Nissan's failure to take care of it's customers that annoys me is the how the bluetooth works. You can make phone calls, but not play music through it or much of anything else, and they have no upgrades. This is even more insulting if you know how computer code works. Everything is written in modules and you know they have updated the modules for bluetooth connectivity for new models. It should be a simple task to insert the new modules to to the Leaf software and offer updates.

jlatl said:
The problem is that they have taken the vehicle and tied it's life to that of the battery. For example, when my 2013 hits 60K-80K miles on it and I need to replace the battery (1 bar lost at 45K) it will have a blue book value of about $4K-$5K and a replacement battery is about $6K.
Very few people will want to invest that much in an older car with a range so much less than current models.
I expect I will use the car until the range has dropped so much it cannot be used for simple errands, then junk it. A pity for a vehicle that should have so much life in it.
Replacement is now more than $6K. It seems to be somewhere past $7K w/labor and tax.

My used 5/2013 built '13 SV is past 62K miles and still has 11 bars w/SOH hovering around 82.xx to 83.xx% now. I lost my 1st bar in Nov 2017 (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=511915#p511915).
jlatl said:
Another example of Nissan's failure to take care of it's customers that annoys me is the how the bluetooth works. You can make phone calls, but not play music through it or much of anything else, and they have no upgrades. This is even more insulting if you know how computer code works. Everything is written in modules and you know they have updated the modules for bluetooth connectivity for new models. It should be a simple task to insert the new modules to to the Leaf software and offer updates.
It's because you got the S trim. The head unit in the S trim only support phone calls over Bluetooth. For all we know, its hardware doesn't support A2DP music streaming and the other profiles like AVRCP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles).

The head unit in the SV and SL trim supports Bluetooth music streaming just fine. I use it all the time for that. I've had a '13 SV w/both packages and a now just an '13 SV w/premium. I believe even then '11 and '12 SV and SL head units supported Bluetooth music streaming. It's in the '11 Leaf's navigation manual.

I do agree that it's unfortunate that Nissan's not in the habit of providing any updates for free or at a cost other than for recalls, service campaigns or to fix something that usually has no UI besides expensive map updates. On the flip side, look at it from a business point of view, how many other automakers on '13 model year vehicles besides Tesla are generally in the habit of doing this, esp. across all their vehicles? Once a vehicle's sold, it's not a big revenue stream for the automaker. They'd rather work on fixes and the next thing (which will bring in significant revenue) than spend resources (dev, test, technical/documentation writers, etc.) on something that isn't bringing any significant revenue.

(Tesla since they began reporting P&L publicly has lost over a net of $5.6 billion w/only 3 profitable quarters, ever.)

cwerdna,

1. The increased cost of replacement battery just makes my point stronger on it's life being tied to the original battery.
2. Thanks for the info on how the bluetooth works differently depending on the model. I wish I had known that when I was making my purchase decision.
3. I understand your comments on it not making a lot of sense to provide updates, but as you stated, the improved software exists. They could offer it at a cost for those who want it. Since it is software it is really a pretty low cost to them, and would be a revenue stream.

jlatl said:
3. I understand your comments on it not making a lot of sense to provide updates, but as you stated, the improved software exists. They could offer it at a cost for those who want it. Since it is software it is really a pretty low cost to them, and would be a revenue stream.
You're making the assumption it's only software. It's possible that the head unit HARDWARE on S trim Leafs of your year all the way thru '15 may not be physically capable of supporting it. As I said, my '13 SV w/premium has it. It seems like '11 and '12 Leafs (only SV and SL trims existed back then) had it too.

And, how many people would pay for it, whatever they might happen to charge? You've got to factor in dealer tech time as well, say 15 minutes to 30 minutes? (Yeah yeah, I know I know... I wish the updates were OTA but that's another story.)

BTW, thanks to a thread on an FB group with the pic of a head unit (which I later found out was for an S trim), it got me curious about looking up part numbers.

For the '13 S (not sure if https://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanparts/index.cfm?action=replacement&siteid=14&groupid=E&sectionid=280&partcode=28185&partnumber=281853NF0B&jointvehid=17708 will work), the stereo is part number 281853NF0B.

For a '16 S per https://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanparts/index.cfm?action=replacement&siteid=14&jointvehid=20383&groupid=E&sectionid=280&partcode=28185, the stereo part numbers for an S could be 28185-4NS0A or
28185-9MB0A. (https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2016-nissan-leaf-press-kit per Specs tab alleges that all 3 trim levels have Bluetooth streaming audio whereas prior ones didn't.)

I found of a pic of a 28185 3NF0B via https://www.ebay.com/i/252725183040?chn=ps. The top of it of course has that part # and a model # of CQ-FN02E04D.

I found a pic of 28185 9MB0A via https://www.ebay.com/p/2015-Nissan-Sentra-CD-Player-Radio-281859MB0A-OEM/1153271535?iid=143049631896&chn=ps and it has model # CQ-FN84E2GX.

Who knows if there are some internal difference or if it's just firmware?

solartim said:
jdcbomb said:
SageBrush said:
I agree that Nissan is screwing LEAF owners .......
Update: So I just called and their immediate answer is no warranty replacement or financial assistance will be offered. No way to escalate. Pricing is still $6,500 + labor + tax. I guess I could try and send a note to Nissan Consumer Affairs, but I think that may be a waste of time and effort also...

I was just quoted $8800 for a new battery for my 2011 Leaf at Mossy in SD. We're down to 6 bars and get 40 miles range. The good thing is my wife only works 8 miles away, the only question is how soon to trade it in. Very jealous of my neighbors, who leased theirs.

Hi.. I'm a newbie to the forum. I'm concerned that Nissan wont help you with a battery replacement. I have been driving 2011 leaf for over two years.. Its down to 7 bars and the dealer says the battery is still under warranty. Can I expect any issues from Nissan to have them honor the warranty. From looking at some comments in this forum I'm unsure what to expect from Nissan.

tjleis said:
Hi.. I'm a newbie to the forum. I'm concerned that Nissan wont help you with a battery replacement. I have been driving 2011 leaf for over two years.. Its down to 7 bars and the dealer says the battery is still under warranty. Can I expect any issues from Nissan to have them honor the warranty. From looking at some comments in this forum I'm unsure what to expect from Nissan.
Your dealer is confused. There is a battery defect warranty that is still in effect but that will not apply to degradation. The battery degradation warranty has lapsed in your car.

SageBrush said:
tjleis said:
Your dealer is confused. There is a battery defect warranty that is still in effect but that will not apply to degradation. The battery degradation warranty has lapsed in your car.
Your situation is interesting; please let us know how you make out and the costs; Dealing with Nissan can be difficult; but, who knows, you may get a special deal.

fotajoye said:
SageBrush said:
tjleis said:
Your situation is interesting; please let us know how you make out and the costs; Dealing with Nissan can be difficult; but, who knows, you may get a special deal.
Who knows ? We know.
Ever since the goodwill program ended years ago, Nissan has without exception told owners of LEAFs with degraded batteries to pound sand from the moment that the warranty lapses. There is ZERO reason to think his case will be treated differently.

I understand that you have a vested interest in seeing people continue to call Nissan but don't be an asshole by suggesting that his situation is somehow more likely to gain Nissan help than anybody else.

tjleis said:

Previous replies are accurate, if your battery totally dies before 2021 you're covered. Hopefully the Fenix Power battery comes through. They are including a thermal management system, so it should be more reliable. Check out http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26597

SageBrush said:
I understand that you have a vested interest in seeing people continue to call Nissan but don't be an asshole by suggesting that his situation is somehow more likely to gain Nissan help than anybody else.
Do not call people names or assume their motives are adverse, when you don't know; that's the stuff of high school and we work to keep the forum open and encourage people to treat each other civilly. With statements like this you drive people away and cheat the members from gaining information.

My statement to the other member was to find out if Nissan has changed their policy and pricing on replacement batteries in other areas of the country...information of an important nature for those who may face dealing with Nissan in the future, perhaps even you.

If you have a grievance against Nissan, take Nissan to task, not the people on this forum, who are attempting to share information with one another.

I spoke with a mechanic at the Concord, CA Nissan and he gave me an $8K quote for the replacement on my 2011 Leaf. But what was really telling is that he said there had been ZERO replacements done in that shop. Meaning, in the history of the Leaf being on their floor -- this is a fact even in a highly populated area where many Leafs were purchased (including mine). I'm sure Nissan management is very happy with that number, they want to sell new cars, not help loyal customers from 8 years ago. If they wanted my business for the Leaf-Plus, they probably should have offered a really good trade-in for the 2011-2012 Leafs, but that would have meant their marketing team was actually a group of thinking people.
I would be very interested in how many total replacements have been done across the U.S. -- it is probably a very small number.
And this was my dilemma as I end my wait for the Leaf-Plus and finally put in my order for a Tesla 3... do I plunk down an additional $8K (plus, I'm assuming the real price is higher) for less than half the range I'm getting in the Tesla? As much as I like the Leaf as a brand, I don't see how it makes sense. Now I have to say goodbye to my tired 2011 Leaf even though for a more reasonable price (or much greater range) I might have pulled the trigger and kept both the Tesla and the older Leaf.

JG

barsad22 said:
I spoke with a mechanic at the Concord, CA Nissan and he gave me an $8K quote for the replacement on my 2011 Leaf. But what was really telling is that he said there had been ZERO replacements done in that shop. Meaning, in the history of the Leaf being on their floor -- this is a fact even in a highly populated area where many Leafs were purchased (including mine). I'm sure Nissan management is very happy with that number, they want to sell new cars, not help loyal customers from 8 years ago. If they wanted my business for the Leaf-Plus, they probably should have offered a really good trade-in for the 2011-2012 Leafs, but that would have meant their marketing team was actually a group of thinking people.
I would be very interested in how many total replacements have been done across the U.S. -- it is probably a very small number.
And this was my dilemma as I end my wait for the Leaf-Plus and finally put in my order for a Tesla 3... do I plunk down an additional $8K (plus, I'm assuming the real price is higher) for less than half the range I'm getting in the Tesla? As much as I like the Leaf as a brand, I don't see how it makes sense. Now I have to say goodbye to my tired 2011 Leaf even though for a more reasonable price (or much greater range) I might have pulled the trigger and kept both the Tesla and the older Leaf.

JG
As always; the same answer: if you like the car and, with 72 miles range and a replacement $9k battery, it will meets your needs for another 8 years; it's the better price. We forget how expensive it really is to buy a new car with the base cost, delivery cost, taxes and licensing, even with incentives.

BTW, many are opting to buy the base $35k Tesla model 3 instead of the Leaf plus because of the better technology in the Tesla. The costs are estimated to be about the same.
I have the same situation; and, my decision is to keep driving the old Leaf and replace the battery...it meets my needs, so I cancelled my model 3 reservation.

I too am very disappointed with how Nissan is handling the battery replacement. I think there is no question that I will never replace the battery in my Leaf.
But - I will continue to drive it for as long as possible. We have 2 cars - electric and ICE. The Leaf is the preferred car. But as range diminishes my wife and I will just switch off, with the Leaf being taken by the one with the shorter drive.
I plan/hope to get 80,000 miles out of the Leaf before the capacity drops too far. If I make that the car will have been a great purchase. Between tax breaks and savings of electric vs. gas I project the total cost to be about $3K for the car. Can't beat that.

With this post below, the owner reports his 2016 30 kWh 4 bars lost battery will be replaced under warranty with a 40 kWh battery. Apparently no more "smaller" packs in inventory. I wonder what modifications would be needed in the Gen1 LEAFs?

Now maybe just need to hold on to existing LEAFs (of any gen) to get a free 62 kWh battery a few years later!

https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/euvfom/huge_news_nissan_usa_will_replace_30kw_batteries/

jdcbomb said:
With this post below, the owner reports his 2016 30 kWh 4 bars lost battery will be replaced under warranty with a 40 kWh battery. Apparently no more "smaller" packs in inventory. I wonder what modifications would be needed in the Gen1 LEAFs?

Now maybe just need to hold on to existing LEAFs (of any gen) to get a free 62 kWh battery a few years later!

https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/euvfom/huge_news_nissan_usa_will_replace_30kw_batteries/
Makes sense that Nissan would manufacture no more 'old' obsolete batteries than necessary; please let those of us with Gen one cars know about this as a possible upgrade soon as you know; I suspect there will be a run on upgrades if Nissan offers a larger capacity pack for the 2011-12, 2013-17 cars. Hopefully Nissan will see this as a revenue source; they can certainly use it since their new car sales are way down.

Yes, without question if total cost is $8,000.00 -- but NOT a penny more! But I'll be happy/satisfied with my 24kWh recently for $6405.18 (which includes $582.59 TN sales tax)...

Back