DISCOVERY I MADE WHILE JACKING UP THE LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If any of my cars will support it, I will jack up the entire side at once with my floor jack. I have a rubber adapter that keeps the floor jack from crumpling the metal where the jack meets the body. I've been doing this for years without any issues at all. I will slide a jack stand in once the vehicle is high enough but it's there just in case, there's no weight on it. Wheel chocks are used also. A simple 2x4 block is good enough if it's all you have.

HRTKD said:
If any of my cars will support it, I will jack up the entire side at once with my floor jack. I have a rubber adapter that keeps the floor jack from crumpling the metal where the jack meets the body. I've been doing this for years without any issues at all. I will slide a jack stand in once the vehicle is high enough but it's there just in case, there's no weight on it. Wheel chocks are used also. A simple 2x4 block is good enough if it's all you have.

You need to put a little weight on the jack stand(s). If there is no weight on it, and especially if there is a gap, the car can acquire enough momentum if it falls onto it to break or collapse it.

LeftieBiker said:
HRTKD said:

You need to put a little weight on the jack stand(s). If there is no weight on it, and especially if there is a gap, the car can acquire enough momentum if it falls onto it to break or collapse it.

I understand what you're saying but it's not necessary in my case. The jack stand is within 1/4" of a solid point of contact, not a suspension part. The floor jack would have to fail catastrophically for there to be a problem. Most floor jacks are going to slowly lose elevation.

Back