Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
It's actually made me consider replacing my Leaf with a used BMW i3 REX when my winter range finally gets too low for my commute.

Bad, bad idea. Cwerdna has been following those beasties on Facebook, and the reliability of the Rex version is terrible. Not only that, but most of the issues seem to brick the car on the spot - even when that spot is a highway. I'm sure he'll be here with links and Tales Of Horror later.

On the bright side, you'd likely be able to find one cheap. ;)

I've read that the 2014 had a lot of issues but the newer ones have been pretty good. I'm always open to new info though so I'm curious about any links Cwerdna has to share.

One definite negative I've read is that they go through rear tires every 25k miles and use very specific relatively expensive tires.

Dealer near me has a couple of late 2016 off lease with ~20k miles on them for ~$18k. Warranty is 4/50k so that's roughly 18mo and 30k miles of warranty left. The out of warranty 2014s I see still sell for $15k - $16k on Carvana and they'll buy one for $12.5k so the 2yr depreciation should be minimal. I just need a stop gap until used TM3 or off-lease Splus get more reasonable in a couple of years.

Thought about leasing a 2018 SV but I'll spend $3k in personal property tax in 3 years on top of the lease cost due to tax structure where I live. The tanking of my 2015 resale value in the last year has really made me wary of buying any brand new Leaf so I'm ruling out purchase even with huge discounts on 2018 right now.

I've read that the 2014 had a lot of issues but the newer ones have been pretty good. I'm always open to new info though so I'm curious about any links Cwerdna has to share.

One definite negative I've read is that they go through rear tires every 25k miles and use very specific relatively expensive tires.

I think that you are seeing general issues with all of the i3 cars, and not the specific issues with the REx version. Again, though, Cwerdna is the one to read on this, and I'd expect him to respond within another day or so. Please don't buy one in the meantime. :?

LeftieBiker said:
I think that you are seeing general issues with all of the i3 cars, and not the specific issues with the REx version. Again, though, Cwerdna is the one to read on this, and I'd expect him to respond within another day or so. Please don't buy one in the meantime. :?

OK will do, I'm in no rush.

FWIW consumer reports ranked it top 3 along with the leaf and prius prime in "EV" reliability according to this site.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobi...ith-strong-reliability-ratings-for-2019.html/

I finally (?) saw one in the wild a few days ago. It was black and had very large white lettering on the bottom of the doors saying PHEV + maybe something else (plug-in hybrid, maybe).

It also had CA HOV stickers.

Not sure if the decals are commonly applied to the vehicles at the factory/dealer or if the driver themselves put them on.

I'd also been receiving junk...ummm... marketing snail mail on this vehicle and recall that it pointed to a dealer in Hayward.

Per https://insideevs.com/news/432143/mitsubishi-plugin-car-sales-us-q2-2020/, seems like US sales aren't doing well. COVID-19 sure didn't help given the lockdowns and at least car dealers in CA being forced to close their showrooms, thus forcing them to do basically online sales and delivery, And, it seems Mitsubishi Motors dealers have been closing in the US besides people having not needed to drive to work during lockdown which has also resulted in light traffic.

The car was by itself (PHEV SUV) when it launched, part of the reason why it still does reasonably well in Europe...even Canada does ok. They haven’t really evolved the car at all though, and now there are a number of similar offerings from other manufacturers and more overall EVs.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The car was by itself (PHEV SUV) when it launched, part of the reason why it still does reasonably well in Europe...even Canada does ok. They haven’t really evolved the car at all though, and now there are a number of similar offerings from other manufacturers and more overall EVs.
They evolved the Outlander PHEV in Europe where they had more competition but in N. America where there has been no real competition and probably won't be for quite some time(for sure in all 50 states and probably a year even in CARB states) they trudge on with their outdated design :x

golfcart said:
Back on topic...

My wife has a 2018 Outlander phev. We got a great deal on it near the end of last year. Combined with my Leaf we have been able to do about 90% of our driving with electricity.

She gets about 32mpg on road trips on the interstate going 75mph and about 17-25 miles of all electric range for the daily commute and around town depending on the season and traffic conditions. With her daily round trip of 10 miles we typically only use gas when we go out of town.

It has good storage, a comfortable interior, Bluetooth audio streaming music, all wheel drive, Android auto, heated seats and a great warranty.

We can also add about 300 miles of range in roughly 2 minutes at the numerous gas station we pass while on long trips (Take that supercharger network). Overall we've been very happy with the purchase.

It's actually made me consider replacing my Leaf with a used BMW I3 REX when my winter range finally gets too low for my commute.

Any updates on the Outlander Golfcart? we are looking at a used one...... how has it treated you? and is battery health easy to manage and verify? Thanks!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34929787/2022-mitsubishi-outlander-leaked/ supposedly has some pics of the next gen Outlander. They presume there will be a PHEV model, which I'd think is pretty likely.

LeftieBiker said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I heard the Cross was also coming in a phev variant this year too.

IIRC, that's the one that uses the Prime drivetrain, excluding the AWD part.
This article suggests its drivetrain comes from the Outlander PHEV.....if it's like our Outlander it won't be particularly efficient, undersized battery and a dated design.....oh and Mitsubishi quality.....I'll keep waiting for my Rav4 PHEV :)
https://thedriven.io/2020/12/04/mitsubishi-unveils-eclipse-cross-plug-in-hybrid-to-join-outlander-phev/

US: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Sales Almost Tripled In Q1 2022
The plug-in hybrid version of the all-new Mitsubishi Outlander is set for launch in the second half of the year.
https://insideevs.com/news/578460/us-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-sales-2022q1/

Back