The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my LeafSpy app. Here's the data for my brand new 2019 Leaf S, 1/19 manufactured date on the door sticker. I'll try to update it every few months.

SOH 99.39%
AHr 114.74
Hx 104.14%

Odo 397 miles
L2 charges 24

No DC fast charger on my car. In San Diego

sptleaf said:
Just got my LeafSpy app. Here's the data for my brand new 2019 Leaf S, 1/19 manufactured date on the door sticker. I'll try to update it every few months.

SOH 99.39%
AHr 114.74
Hx 104.14%

Odo 397 miles
L2 charges 24

No DC fast charger on my car. In San Diego

Thanks for the info! A car with no QC will make for a good "control group."

LeftieBiker said:
I had originally named the 30kwh pack the "Lettuce Pack" because it was apparently "wilting" so fast. Maybe the 40kwh pack should get that unfortunate moniker...if not, I shall dub it "Canary II."

LOL!! Lettuce? My 30 kwh was rock solid for the short period of time she was around and it was not due to an easy life.

As far as the 40 kwh? "Ice cube in Phoenix" is a better term I think.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
I had originally named the 30kwh pack the "Lettuce Pack" because it was apparently "wilting" so fast. Maybe the 40kwh pack should get that unfortunate moniker...if not, I shall dub it "Canary II."

LOL!! Lettuce? My 30 kwh was rock solid for the short period of time she was around and it was not due to an easy life.

As far as the 40 kwh? "Ice cube in Phoenix" is a better term I think.
I prefer "GMO in Washington State."

I am curious if any of you who own a Leaf with the 40 kwh battery have anything to report on how well the battery is holding up. Do you have any LeafSpy statistics to report?

Jerryr said:
Here’s my 2018 LeafSpy Battery Stat Page after picking up my new leaf and parking it in my driveway.

Just drove it about 40 miles from dealership to Home and hadn’t charged it yet.

SOC was 76%
AHr 113.99
SOH 98.74%
Hx 98.24%

Kz4Nb59l.jpg

Where you located?

What is build date?

I was reading a couple other threads on LeafSpy and some recommended OBDII dongles...but want to see what ya'll are using? (Don't want to cause an issue with the computer as it seems some are better than others.

jdcbomb said:
I was reading a couple other threads on LeafSpy and some recommended OBDII dongles...but want to see what ya'll are using? (Don't want to cause an issue with the computer as it seems some are better than others.

I use the LeLink version 1 from Amazon. I emailed the LeafSpy developer and he recommended that for my iPhoneX. He said the version 2 can go to sleep and never wake up if you turn auto sleep on. Worked right out of the box form my 2019 Leaf S.

2018 SL
Purchase date 17-MAR-18

SOH 93.93%
AHr 108.43
Hx 107.67%

Odo 14,550 miles
L2 charges 176
DC fast charges 164

DougWantsALeaf said:
Texas leaf

One year in, what is your usable range?

It depends on a lot of variable; wind, change in elevation, temperature, speed, etc. I use LeafSpy to to tell miles/kWh to reach LBW at my destination then I adjust my speed to get the required miles/kWh. I usually don’t go more than 110 miles if I’m driving at 60 mph or 80 miles if I’m driving at 75 mph although I could drive much further based on conditions and speed.

The range differences from when the car was new are not really noticeable to me yet. I drive pretty much the same way I have always drove the car.

TexasLeaf said:
2018 SL
Purchase date 17-MAR-18

SOH 93.93%
AHr 108.43
Hx 107.67%

Odo 14,550 miles
L2 charges 176
DC fast charges 164

Here are my current 2018 SL stats - purchased March 31, 2018

SOH 94.30%
AHr 108.86
Hx 121.46

Odo 13,601 miles
L2 charges 616 (by LeafSpy - likely closer to 200 in reality)
DC fast charges 1

We are finally starting to see some temperatures above freezing in our forecast after more than a month of -20 to -40C. I would have expected to see more of spread in SOH numbers from a frozen Canadian Leaf to a hot Texas Leaf. Based on this comparison it would seem ambient temperature may not be as big a factor in the 40 kWh battery.

Interesting how they are both about 6% SOH loss per year. If it's a linear degradation of 6% SOH loss per year, would that mean a 4 bar drop in 6 years? In the past, has it been the 4th bar lost around 64% SOH? Who knows how they calculate the 4 bars now though?

Interesting is not a word I would use. I think the wide geographical differences and climates each is seeing and we all still have nearly the same degradation based loosely on time/mileage tells me that the BMS SW is not right.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Interesting is not a word I would use. I think the wide geographical differences and climates each is seeing and we all still have nearly the same degradation based loosely on time/mileage tells me that the BMS SW is not right.
I would wonder the same if a large data set develops. We will be back to measuring kWh put into the pack from VLB to be sure.

My stats, on a 2018 SV bought last April:

~13000 miles
43 L3
252 L2
AHr 109.92
SOH 95.22%
Hx 114.63%
Driven mostly in Western Washington.

I track the stats roughly once a week, and have seen almost all of the degradation happen over three sudden drops, spaced every ~90 days. One of those drops happened during a long trip in the summer, but another one happened over the course of a few hours on a cool evening with only a few miles driven around town.

Astros said:
My stats, on a 2018 SV bought last April:

~13000 miles
43 L3
252 L2
AHr 109.92
SOH 95.22%
Hx 114.63%
Driven mostly in Western Washington.

I track the stats roughly once a week, and have seen almost all of the degradation happen over three sudden drops, spaced every ~90 days. One of those drops happened during a long trip in the summer, but another one happened over the course of a few hours on a cool evening with only a few miles driven around town.

You may have the lowest degradation we've seen, by a small margin. 5% a year would be tolerable for me.

LeftieBiker said:
You may have the lowest degradation we've seen, by a small margin. 5% a year would be tolerable for me.

It's the sudden drops every three months that worry me. Without them my degradation has been fit perfectly by a double-linear trend, losing 3aHr/10,000 miles for the first 6,000 miles, and less than 1aHr/10,000 miles after that. If that was all there was to it, I would have only 13% degradation after 8 years and 120,000 miles. If I include those drops, then it looks like I would have 30% degradation over those 8 years. However, I notice that the amplitude of the drops is decreasing each time: the first one was 2.25 aHr, the second 1.4 aHr, and the last one was 1.0 aHr. If they keep to the past pattern, I expect to see another drop this week or next, so we'll see if the amplitude really does keep decreasing.

One thing I should note is that we don't baby the battery. My wife primarily drives the car during the week, and she likes to have a full battery every morning, so we almost always charge to 100% in the evening. We also take our Leaf on long trips in the summer, and when we do we have to "quick" charge multiple times in a day. It is pretty frustrating to get only ~22kW from the second charge and ~18kW from the third or fourth! Given the substantial degradation just with time, and no apparent correlation between those fast charges and measurable degradation, I would really like to get the software fix for #rapidgate over here.

Back