SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:08 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Wow! Not quite LEAF speed but fast.
Not quite 10x LEAF speed. FTFY
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

golfcart
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 am
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:25 pm

SageBrush wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
SageBrush wrote: But then you get to spend that amount *again* in 8 years. And at least for the first 8 years you have a hobbled car that is only good for local duties.

I don't see the value.

I don't see the desire to keep an 8 year old car that is part of emerging technology. I guess we all have a blind side.
Is "emerging" the PC way to say POS when discussing the LEAF ? Because I assure you, my Tesla is a wonderful car today and I expect it to be a wonderful car in 8 years.
I think y'all both have points depending on your use for the car and how long u plan to keep it. I think as a second car/commuter the 40kWh Leaf is a better value just because it's a lot cheaper but as a primary vehicle there is no doubt the Tesla is way more viable especially over the long term.
2018 SV

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:48 pm

golfcart wrote: I think as a second car/commuter the 40kWh Leaf is a better value just because it's a lot cheaper but as a primary vehicle there is no doubt the Tesla is way more viable especially over the long term.
That is my opinion too, although for a local car I'm very happy with my $6,300 24 kWh LEAF.

Perhaps in 5 years I'll be able to buy a 40 kWh LEAF for $6,300.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

User avatar
lpickup
Posts: 1170
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:14 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact: Website

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:53 pm

SageBrush wrote:
golfcart wrote: I think as a second car/commuter the 40kWh Leaf is a better value just because it's a lot cheaper but as a primary vehicle there is no doubt the Tesla is way more viable especially over the long term.
That is my opinion too, although for a local car I'm very happy with my $6,300 24 kWh LEAF.

Perhaps in 5 years I'll be able to buy a 40 kWh LEAF for $6,300.
Yeah, tried to convince my wife that a LEAF was entirely sufficient for a second car given that we have the LR Model 3 for trips, but she was insistent that she had a car with over 200 miles of range, so we ended up with a Bolt (would have been a Hyundai Kona EV, but her lease ran out before they started selling them--actually she would have gone for a SR Model 3 if the lease was still going!)
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:09 pm

lpickup wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
golfcart wrote: I think as a second car/commuter the 40kWh Leaf is a better value just because it's a lot cheaper but as a primary vehicle there is no doubt the Tesla is way more viable especially over the long term.
That is my opinion too, although for a local car I'm very happy with my $6,300 24 kWh LEAF.

Perhaps in 5 years I'll be able to buy a 40 kWh LEAF for $6,300.
Yeah, tried to convince my wife that a LEAF was entirely sufficient for a second car given that we have the LR Model 3 for trips, but she was insistent that she had a car with over 200 miles of range, so we ended up with a Bolt (would have been a Hyundai Kona EV, but her lease ran out before they started selling them--actually she would have gone for a SR Model 3 if the lease was still going!)
My wife took the same stance as yours but we decided to agree to disagree and just the sell the first car someone wanted. The LEAF stayed and the Prius Prime went to a new home. She now is quite pleased with how things turned out since she has adopted the EV lifestyle and appreciates the money saved. She also likes the fact that I no longer come into the house after an oil change.

The Bolt makes for a good choice too if it can be bought cheaply, you live in an area with CCS, and you can stomach GM.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

golfcart
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 am
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:22 am

I'm still kind of angry at Elon for not putting heated seats in the $35k model. It makes me wonder if they actually want to sell any of those or if they just want to say they kept their promise.
2018 SV

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:40 am

golfcart wrote:I'm still kind of angry at Elon for not putting heated seats in the $35k model. It makes me wonder if they actually want to sell any of those or if they just want to say they kept their promise.
That caught my attention too, but I would not care about it if I lived in a temperate climate like CA. In fact, I would appreciate not paying for something I would never use. Since CA is a HUGE market for Tesla your argument that demand for that model will be poor reads like sour grapes.

IIRC, a $2,000 upgrade that includes a better interior, heated seats, and a larger battery is offered. That strikes me as the sweet spot in value.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

golfcart
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 am
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:20 am

SageBrush wrote:
golfcart wrote:I'm still kind of angry at Elon for not putting heated seats in the $35k model. It makes me wonder if they actually want to sell any of those or if they just want to say they kept their promise.
That caught my attention too, but I would not care about it if I lived in a temperate climate like CA. In fact, I would appreciate not paying for something I would never use. Since CA is a HUGE market for Tesla your argument that demand for that model will be poor reads like sour grapes.

IIRC, a $2,000 upgrade that includes a better interior, heated seats, and a larger battery is offered. That strikes me as the sweet spot in value.
Of course it's a little bit of sour grapes but I do think they'd prefer to sell the $37k version.

Fair point about California though, the coastal areas probably don't care about heated seats.
2018 SV

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:31 am

golfcart wrote:I do think they'd prefer to sell the $37k version.
I'm not sure about that at all. Look at what the customer gets for $2,000:

5.3 second 0 -60 (instead of 5.6)
20 more EPA range miles
12-way *power* adjustable seats
Heated front seats
LED fog-lights
Upgraded Audio
Upgraded interior materials
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

golfcart
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 am
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:56 am

SageBrush wrote:
golfcart wrote:I do think they'd prefer to sell the $37k version.
I'm not sure about that at all. Look at what the customer gets for $2,000:

5.3 second 0 -60 (instead of 5.6)
20 more EPA range miles
12-way *power* adjustable seats
Heated front seats
LED fog-lights
Upgraded Audio
Upgraded interior materials
Why offer it then? Nobody expected that trim.
2018 SV

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”