2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s all about the cargo for us (and our 3 teenagers). Costco and Sams club runs only the Leaf (and maybe Niro, or X) would work. The 3 is pretty, but substandard cargo area.

Our 13 leaf has seen a ping pong table and a 6’ Costco (non foldable) in the back.

Looking forward to the extra inch of width and leg room on the 19.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The 3 is pretty, but substandard cargo area. .
The Model 3 is a lot more space utility than you give it credit although a hatchback it is not.

Given a choice today, I also would buy a Model Y. One of these days I'll add a hitch to my Model 3 for the best of both worlds.

SageBrush said:
ALL the ChadeMO we have in town are out of operation. It may be different in B.C. but make no mistake that you are adopting a dying technology with a LEAF purchase even though it is the leader in your area today. Tough choice to be sure.

Here is CCS today in B.C. In your shoes I would lease either CCS or CHadeMO to give Tesla time to expand the Supercharger network in Canada.

uc

I hear you Sagebrush and yah, I think CCS will become the eventual standard. But the goverment is committed to dual CCS/Chademo units at least thru phase 3 of the buildout. (They are currently working on phase 2). Although we don’t do a lot of DCFC they have been pretty reliable so the maintenance contracter must be working okay.

I kinda wish the Leaf was CCS but the fact that it is Chademo won’t stop me from buying it. The reality is we only keep our vehicles for 6 or 7 years anyway.

I appreciate the input.

All of the electrify America stations have both, though are weighted towards ccs.

It is a for certain vhs vs Betamax issue. Short of another major manufacturer using Chademo, I agree it’s long term prospect outside of Japan is going to be challenged.

"I kinda wish the Leaf was CCS but the fact that it is Chademo won’t stop me from buying it. The reality is we only keep our vehicles for 6 or 7 years anyway. "

Perhaps, but you many wish to consider what it will do to your depreciation.

"But the goverment is committed to dual CCS/Chademo units at least thru phase 3 of the buildout."
I expect that to change in a few short years.

SageBrush said:
"I kinda wish the Leaf was CCS but the fact that it is Chademo won’t stop me from buying it. The reality is we only keep our vehicles for 6 or 7 years anyway. "

Perhaps, but you many wish to consider what it will do to your depreciation.

"But the goverment is committed to dual CCS/Chademo units at least thru phase 3 of the buildout."
I expect that to change in a few short years.

Agreed. But it has to be practical. Otherwise what’s the point. Our present combination of 2016 Leaf SV and smart ED suits all our needs. But that will change in a little less than two years when we need a solid 300 km summer range and the ability to travel 550 or so Kilometers per day for a certain 1800 km road trip we make twice a year. We stop often so a few 20 minute DCFC stops per day works fine.

I appreciate your points of view. Lots to think about. And I love the fact you own a Leaf and a three.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Did a TCO on the two. Granted it's aimed at my needs and wants so...

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/03/leaf-plus-verses-t3-another-tco.html

As far as which car I would choose; Sad to say that I would have taken the Tesla if they still had the full tax credit but without it, the price difference is simply too big.
Comment on your charging comparison made there beside the road trip use case mentioned in a comment on your blog...

In my area, Tesla's been opening up Superchargers all over the place and doing it right w/multiple stalls. These opened up recently:
https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/supercharger/losgatossupercharger
https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/supercharger/sanjosecherryavesupercharger
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/supercharger-san-jose-ca-location-1375-blossom-hill-rd-construction-in-progress-jan-2019.140899/ is just under 2 miles away from the above and is WIP.

Not sure how long this has been open but I've used the free L2 ChargePoint EVSEs at the same location as https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/supercharger/sanjosecaliforniasupercharger.

I've seen https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/supercharger/sanmbridgepointepkwysupercharger and also used the ChargePoint L2 EVSEs there. It was one of the few public places that ran at 240 volts instead of 208. https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/supercharger/sanmateosupercharger is nearby but I haven't gone to look.

At my work, for a few folks, if they can't get enough time on the ChargePoint L2 EVSEs or Tesla WCs, sometimes out of laziness or due to being busy w/work, some of them just go to the local Supercharger to charge up. For the Model 3 guys, it costs them $. For a few of the older Model S and X crowd, their cars included free SCing.

Also, it looks like on their nav system, they get to see the nearby stations and how many stalls are open. Their smartphone app definitely shows that. I haven't used their on-board planner.

There is https://www.tesla.com/trips which seems incomplete on the vehicle selections, but if you put in say San Jose, CA to Los Angeles, CA, it even tells you wish SCs to stop and at for how long (e.g. Harris Ranch for 10 minutes and Bakersfield for 30 minutes).

Going that route in my Bolt or a '18+ Leaf would be problematic and one might have to take 101 or 99 (instead of the I-5 which is the preferred route for ICEVs), besides needing to make more stops, for much longer.

cwerdna said:
if you put in say San Jose, CA to Los Angeles, CA, it even tells you wish SCs to stop and at for how long (e.g. Harris Ranch for 10 minutes and Bakersfield for 30 minutes).
The in-car Nav does the same. It works so well that I do not plan trips anymore, I just get in the car and drive.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Did a TCO on the two. Granted it's aimed at my needs and wants so...

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/03/leaf-plus-verses-t3-another-tco.html

As far as which car I would choose; Sad to say that I would have taken the Tesla if they still had the full tax credit but without it, the price difference is simply too big. But things change rapidly. I may feel different in 6 months. I have 2 years on my current lease so expect to have a much better perspective by then (and hopefully a lot more valid choices!)
This is great, Thanks!

When I first saw the 2018 screen, the small size really stood out within the large, black, tablet-looking infotainment area. The new Plus screen looks like a better fit.

LEAF

xAVn6JH.jpg

LEAF Plus

rL2x2zR.jpg

I can't help but think they held back on this to entice Plus sales. I wouldn't expect the next step of a full-size screen with no buttons or knobs to be released until a full redesign of the LEAF, if that occurs.

Did they at one point say a redesigned Nissan Connect EV app would be out around the same time as the LEAF Plus? I looked back for the announcement from a few months ago but couldn’t find anything.

cwerdna said:
<snip>
There is https://www.tesla.com/trips which seems incomplete on the vehicle selections, but if you put in say San Jose, CA to Los Angeles, CA, it even tells you wish SCs to stop and at for how long (e.g. Harris Ranch for 10 minutes and Bakersfield for 30 minutes).

Going that route in my Bolt or a '18+ Leaf would be problematic and one might have to take 101 or 99 (instead of the I-5 which is the preferred route for ICEVs), besides needing to make more stops, for much longer.
EA has QCs in Patterson and Firebaugh (actually, both are on I-5) "Coming soon", and unlike Tesla that actually means something. It will still take you longer owing to slower charging, and they'll need at least one more south of Firebaugh (no doubt already planned) to make it easily doable, but I suspect it will be possible to go I-5 rather than .SR. 99 by the end of the year at the latest.

Has anyone seen an S Plus available at a dealer? When I search on Nissan USA's inventory page I can't find a single one in stock but there are SV Plus and SL Plus available all over the place.

With the current lease incentives I wonder if they are holding back on it for now or something. An S Plus with the all-weather looks like a hell of a deal compared to a loaded 40kWh SV.

golfcart said:
Has anyone seen an S Plus available at a dealer? When I search on Nissan USA's inventory page I can't find a single one in stock but there are SV Plus and SL Plus available all over the place.

With the current lease incentives I wonder if they are holding back on it for now or something. An S Plus with the all-weather looks like a hell of a deal compared to a loaded 40kWh SV.

I think they announced that the 60kWh is only available in the upper trims.

I know we very rarely had base trims. Our dealer got about 10 SV & SL's to the S, he said no one wanted them, so I bought one :) I am guessing most dealers will start with the SV & SL and then later maybe stock the S's?

GetOffYourGas said:
SageBrush said:
Newbie said:
Do you want to write the abbreviation of "for example" ?

It is E.g.

Thank you for writing this out. I actually didn’t know what he meant by F.e. Now it seems obvious. Yes, e.g. is the accepted abbreviation (from Latin, not English)
OT. It's interesting that we consider abbreviations based on words from a dead language to be "correct", while those based on the English word or phrase meaning the same thing are "incorrect". I make use of e.g., i.e. and ca. ("exempli gratia", "id est" and "circa" respectively) all the time, but I'd never really thought about why. Perhaps it's time we all start using f.e. and t.i. rather than e.g. and i.e. We can keep ca. since we use the word itself. Of course, English has borrowed words and phrases from every language it's ever come in contact with.

I suspect it's all a hold-over from the era when the upper classes used knowledge of Latin and Greek as one more way of separating them from the hoi polloi (Greek for "the masses" or "the common people"). Maybe this will change, with the large-scale adoption of internet abbreviations for English phrases - I wonder what the Latin version of LMAO might be? :D Edit: Wouldn't you know it, there's a couple of online English - Latin translators - one translates "Laughing My Ass Off" as "Risum Mihi Asinum Off" and the other "Mihi Asinum Off Ridens" - I guess there's no translation for "off". What price " RMAO" or "MAOR"! And now for something completely the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsawP_Ew0r4

John Cleese taught Latin and several other subjects at his public school for a couple of years after graduating from Cambridge, a fact which is largely responsible for both the above scene and the "sex education" scene in "The Meaning of Life". And remember, "Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations". That's a lot more useful than "42".

I thought someone was asking in one of these threads if anyone had bought a Leaf Plus yet...
golfcart said:
FWIW, I was at https://www.stevencreeknissan.com/ to try to see what they'd give me for my '13 Leaf (ridiculously low), and before I left, I asked if they had any Leaf Plus in stock. The appraiser guy claimed he didn't sell cars only appraise, but he said something like "the 62?" Anyway, after talking to him and another sales droid, yes, we determined we were talking about the 62 kWh Leaf.

They said they didn't have any, only the "150 mile" one. I asked when they'd get any. Reply: In the next 3 to 4 months...

Sales droid made some remarks that they can't usually sell Leafs for a profit or much of a profit at all. He hinted that 62 kWh Leaf would start out at MSRP.

The dealer changed ownership recently. It was previously part of one of three "Premier" Nissans in the Bay Area.

Back