Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
Sell post upgrades. They can remotely engage cash flow as needed:)

Yes that is a great point. People spend thousands of dollars on exhaust systems, cold air intakes, headers, and aftermarket tuning to get more power out of ice cars...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Having spent a lot of years in California, I can assure you your contention that seat heaters are not needed is quite wrong. Our ability to adapt is quite small. A Washingtonian visiting California wouldn't need seat heaters but Californians would.

I remember jumping out of bed to stand in front of the wall heater (only heat in my apartment) to warm up because I was freezing. The temperature? 65º
True story.

I've not used seat heaters in my 3.

But I used it regularly in Leaf & Volt.

I guess, I don't bother because of the 300+ mile range.

Another thing funny - we get a little range anxious when the remaining range goes below the usual range of Leaf. Infact I charge 3 when it goes below 100 miles.

golfcart said:
I'm still kind of angry at Elon for not putting heated seats in the $35k model. It makes me wonder if they actually want to sell any of those or if they just want to say they kept their promise.
If you have never had seat warmers, you won't miss them.

SR to SR+ is a small premium and well worth it. I'm sure most people would get SR+. Afterall, this is true for most cars - the absolute base car, few buy.

SageBrush said:
golfcart said:
I'm still kind of angry at Elon for not putting heated seats in the $35k model. It makes me wonder if they actually want to sell any of those or if they just want to say they kept their promise.
That caught my attention too, but I would not care about it if I lived in a temperate climate like CA. In fact, I would appreciate not paying for something I would never use. Since CA is a HUGE market for Tesla your argument that demand for that model will be poor reads like sour grapes.
I was born and have lived all my life in the Bay Area, and appreciate the heated seats in my Forester. Indeed, that's one of the reasons I opted for the middle (XS) rather than the lowest (X) trim when I bought it. On cool or cold (for California) days I use them first thing when I get into the car until the engine heats up and I can use the heater, or else just the seats on days when there's no need for cabin heat. They are very nice not just when I'm up in the mountains, but also locally. Having the ability to remotely heat the cabin is nice and would lessen the need for seat heaters, but at a considerable increase in energy use. So, they may be less of a benefit for a BEV, but could still be a nice to have. After all, if remotely heating the cabin removes any need for seat heaters, why would you want them in ANY trim?

However, I much prefer cloth seats, so I'd have a dilemma. And I really don't want a glass roof in either hot or cold temps.

IIRC, a $2,000 upgrade that includes a better interior, heated seats, and a larger battery is offered. That strikes me as the sweet spot in value.
Yes, although I'd prefer non-power seats. I can see the benefit if you have multiple people driving the car regularly. As I don't, there's no value to me for the extra money, and they're far more likely to break and need expensive repairs.

evnow said:
If you have never had seat warmers, you won't miss them.

SR to SR+ is a small premium and well worth it. I'm sure most people would get SR+. Afterall, this is true for most cars - the absolute base car, few buy.

I have had heated cloth seats and a heated steering wheel on my 2015 Leaf for the last 3.5 years and I use them all the time from December-March it saves me quite a bit of range by not using the heater. I like saving range whether I have 300 miles or 50 miles because it saves me money and it cuts down on energy use. The only time I use the cabin heater is if I need to defrost or if I have the family in the car.

The SR with heated cloth seats would be ideal for me. I don't want autopilot, don't care about fake leather, and don't need more than 150 miles range so 220 is no different than 240 in my book.

I took delivery of my dual motor model 3, and it's a f'ing rocket ship! I was sad having my first electric car (the Leaf) put onto the truck as my trade-in, but as soon as I stomped on the go pedal, I forgot all about the Leaf. And now, it means I don't have any more reason to come on here any more. :lol:

It was fun.

evnow said:
...I've not used seat heaters in my 3.

But I used it regularly in Leaf & Volt.

I guess, I don't bother because of the 300+ mile range...
By contrast, my heated seat is on the low setting from late fall to early spring here in the mountains. I don't usually bother with HVAC, save to defog the windshield as needed, since I am dressed for winter anyway and the heated seat is enough for comfort. When I do use the heater I generally set it to 61ºF so that it isn't uncomfortably warm.

What I miss about the LEAF is the heated steering wheel — I make do with touch screen gloves but it's not the same!

GRA said:
And I really don't want a glass roof in either hot or cold temps.

While there may be other reasons to not want a glass roof (although frankly I can't think of any), temperature control in the Tesla is not one of them. On the hottest days of the year, you feel nothing from above, even though you can feel the heat pouring in through the side windows and windshield. You don't even notice that there's a glass roof (heat-wise). Now I don't live in Arizona, but here in North Carolina it still gets pretty hot and the glass roof was definitely not an issue.

Anyone else here order a $35k Model 3? Take delivery yet?

We ordered the Standard Range $35k Model 3 within a few hours of being made available to order on 2/28/2019. The status continues to report as: "Estimated Delivery: 2-4 weeks from order placed date".

We're going with bare bones and waiting on delivery: black, no autopilot, manual adjustable seats, basic interior, basic sound system, no options/upgrades.

iPlug said:

We ordered the Standard Range $35k Model 3 within a few hours of being made available to order on 2/28/2019. The status continues to report as: "Estimated Delivery: 2-4 weeks from order placed date".

We're going with bare bones and waiting on delivery: black, no autopilot, manual adjustable seats, basic interior, basic sound system, no options/upgrades.

Did you actually get it ordered for $35K or did Tesla add on a $1,200 Destination Fee also ?

leaf16 said:
iPlug said:

Did you actually get it ordered for $35K or did Tesla add on a $1,200 Destination Fee also ?

That is a given.

leaf16 said:
iPlug said:

$35k pre-destination/document fees.

Here is the pertinent cost breakdown for us:
$35,000 Vehicle Price (MSRP)
+ $1,125 Destination Fee
+ $75 Documentation Fee
+ $2,624.50 Sales Tax
+ $7 Tire Fee
+ $236 License Fee
+ $245 Registration/Transfer/Titling Fees
- $3,750 Federal Tax Credit
- $2,500 CA State Rebate
- $800 PG&E Utility Rebate
= $32,262.50 Net Cost

This will replace my 2012 Plug-in Prius. Next month, my wife will very likely trade up her leased 2016 30 kWh Leaf SV to a 2019 40 kWh Leaf (also will lease). We plan to keep the Model 3 for ~3 years then trade up to a Model Y or other hatchback around that time.

lpickup said:
GRA said:
And I really don't want a glass roof in either hot or cold temps.

While there may be other reasons to not want a glass roof (although frankly I can't think of any), temperature control in the Tesla is not one of them. On the hottest days of the year, you feel nothing from above, even though you can feel the heat pouring in through the side windows and windshield. You don't even notice that there's a glass roof (heat-wise). Now I don't live in Arizona, but here in North Carolina it still gets pretty hot and the glass roof was definitely not an issue.
That is definitely not the case for some owners, and I would include myself in that group if I were an owner. Here's one such post on TMC:
It is a very dark tint on the 3. Im not in AZ, but here in MD yesterday it was 44 Deg. F and the temp in the vehicle was 108 Deg. F. The car was parked in the sun, but if that is a preview of things to come, it could be a hot summer inside.
I also sleep in a car in the winter at trailheads, and the conductive and radiative heat loss through that roof at night in winter is something I don't need. There was an article posted on one of the commercial EV forums about the use of reflective shades on the roof and windows for sleeping in the car, but that supposes you spend a lot of time looking straight up while in the car to make the glass roof (and a shade for same) worth the cost and trouble. As I spend almost no time looking straight up while in a car, why would I want the additional expense and weight of an un-insulated glass roof and then need to buy a reflective cover to provide insulation for it?I'm already carrying a reflective cover for the front window and (depending on the weather) ones for the side and rear windows as well; I really don't want to deal with another one. I haven't bought cars with sun/moonroofs for much the same reason (although my primary concern there was long-term water tightness and reliability). I've owned a convertible and driven it top down in conditions suitable for that, and anything else is just an inadequate attempt to achieve the same thing.

"That is definitely not the case for some owners, and I would include myself in that group if I were an owner"

Priceless and very Lorenfb like,.

EVDRIVER said:
"That is definitely not the case for some owners, and I would include myself in that group if I were an owner"

I know my sensitivity to heat compared to the mean, and when on road trips I'm often out all day exposed to direct sun - the last thing I want or need is to feel ANY radiative or conductive heat on my body when I'm in the car afterwards. I typically X-C ski dressed in nothing but shorts, socks, boots, gaiters, fingerless bike gloves and a ball cap if the temp is above 20 deg. F., because I get too hot otherwise, which I think you'll agree isn't typical for the average person. So, when numerous owners and people who've done reviews report sensible heat gain through the roof (and heat loss is obvious), why would you think I wouldn't?

I'm able to deal with cold far better than heat. My personal thermostat has two settings, off and max heat. I find when driving that I can handle up to about a steady 84 deg. F. OAT without use of A/C, although I will tolerate higher temps without using the A/C if I know it will only be for a brief period. As all current BEVs have range that is at best marginal for me, I would need to save energy by not using the HVAC system wherever possible. I also prefer not to spend money on options which I neither need or want. Are you different?

GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:

I know my sensitivity to heat compared to the mean, and when on road trips I'm often out all day exposed to direct sun - the last thing I want or need is to feel ANY radiative or conductive heat on my body when I'm in the car afterwards. I typically X-C ski dressed in nothing but shorts, socks, boots, gaiters, fingerless bike gloves and a ball cap if the temp is above 20 deg. F., because I get too hot otherwise, which I think you'll agree isn't typical for the average person. So, when numerous owners and people who've done reviews report sensible heat gain through the roof (and heat loss is obvious), why would you think I wouldn't?

I'm able to deal with cold far better than heat. My personal thermostat has two settings, off and max heat. I find when driving that I can handle up to about a steady 84 deg. F. OAT without use of A/C, although I will tolerate higher temps without using the A/C if I know it will only be for a brief period. As all current BEVs have range that is at best marginal for me, I would need to save energy by not using the HVAC system wherever possible. I also prefer not to spend money on options which I neither need or want. Are you different?

That is because you live int he Bay Area. A screen shade on the car works and the ability to have some warmth in the cold is a bonus without using the heat. Not such an issue here and can be mitigated. I think the roof is more an asset.

Back