SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 am

^^ Sounds like an OK deal but I do not find ~ $300 a month for a limited use EV to be attractive. Do I presume correctly that you keep an ICE around to supplement the LEAF ? People are inclined to say "but I already own the ICE" but that is not a fair accounting. At some point you have to jump off the ICE train to see the savings in full fledged EV ownership.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

rogersleaf
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2019
Leaf Number: 307726

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:25 am

golfcart wrote:There are some great deals to lease right now, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 2018 SV with All Weather and Tech Packages. Roughly $11k net for 36 months (including taxes and fees) and then a $13.4k residual if I want to buy it or I'll have the option to walk away clean.
If you can pull that off sounds like a good deal. How many miles/yr? Most of the lease quotes I checked basically doubled going from 10k to 15k per year.

My dealer contacted me Monday about 5-6 Leaf+ models arriving in next 2 weeks so stopped on the way home after work. Showed me a ‘19 SV 40 with weather pkg (no tech pkg) for @ $34k and little flexibility on price. Told them I’m seeing 60 KWh Bolts that would net in the high $20k’s if include the interest saving from 0% financing, and that is before the federal tax credit. They were not at all swayed by being under cut on price by Tesla or Chevy.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.
2019 SL - White - w/Tech Package

golfcart
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:53 pm

rogersleaf wrote:If you can pull that off sounds like a good deal. How many miles/yr? Most of the lease quotes I checked basically doubled going from 10k to 15k per year.
15k miles a year which I'll use due to my long commute. That was established right away because 10k/yr was not gonna work for me.
Last edited by golfcart on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 SV

golfcart

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:07 pm

SageBrush wrote:^^ Sounds like an OK deal but I do not find ~ $300 a month for a limited use EV to be attractive. Do I presume correctly that you keep an ICE around to supplement the LEAF ? People are inclined to say "but I already own the ICE" but that is not a fair accounting. At some point you have to jump off the ICE train to see the savings in full fledged EV ownership.
It isn't limited use from my perspective it does everything I need it to do and more plus I'm getting pro-pilot and the hybrid heater to boot.

My wife has an Outlander PHEV so that's our out of town car. She makes her short commute all electric so we don't use much gas but I prefer the gas on road trips to hour long charging sessions.

They are hooking me up on my trade to make the numbers work which is a huge help to me because I don't have to deal with Craigslist tire kickers and low ballers trying to sell it myself.

If I like the car I can buy it in 3 years and I'll be all in about $24k on a $37k sticker price car. If a used Bolt/Leaf+/TM3 makes more sense at that point I can turn it in and buy one of those but there are no used EVs with sufficient range right now that are cheaper than this lease+residual.
2018 SV

iPlug
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2016

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm

golfcart wrote:There are some great deals to lease right now, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 2018 SV with All Weather and Tech Packages. Roughly $11k net for 36 months (including taxes and fees) and then a $13.4k residual if I want to buy it or I'll have the option to walk away clean.
Nice deal. Please share the details if you go through with it.

After some test drives and shopping around, we will most likely be replacing the wife's leased Leaf with another next month. Also would likely stay with an SV.

I presume your $11k net is after Nissan assumes the federal credit but before any other government or utility incentives. For us that would mean $11k net - $2.5k state rebate - $800 PG&E utility rebate = $214/mo for a brand new BEV that's even more functional than our last Leaf.
SageBrush wrote:^^ Sounds like an OK deal but I do not find ~ $300 a month for a limited use EV to be attractive. Do I presume correctly that you keep an ICE around to supplement the LEAF ? People are inclined to say "but I already own the ICE" but that is not a fair accounting. At some point you have to jump off the ICE train to see the savings in full fledged EV ownership.
It's worked incredibly well for us for the last 3 years, both in terms of value and convenience. We ordered a Model 3 two weeks ago to replace my plug-in Prius - waiting on Tesla's estimated 2-4 weeks delivery time.
'19 Model 3 SR+ (own), '19 Leaf SV (leased), '12 Plug-in Prius (sold 3/19), '16 Leaf SV (prior lease), 11.43kW Solar PV (16MWh/yr real production), 20.5 SEER/13.0 HSPF ducted air-source heat pump, 3.70 UEF heat pump water heater, Induction Cooktop

golfcart

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:23 pm

iPlug wrote:Nice deal. Please share the details if you go through with it.

After some test drives and shopping around, we will most likely be replacing the wife's leased Leaf with another next month. Also would likely stay with an SV.

I presume your $11k net is after Nissan assumes the federal credit but before any other government or utility incentives. For us that would mean $11k net - $2.5k state rebate - $800 PG&E utility rebate = $214/mo for a brand new BEV that's even more functional than our last Leaf.
It's a little complicated because I own my 2015 and have some negative equity because I financed it at 0% and used the tax rebate to install solar panels instead of paying down the principal. They're giving me $9550 in Nissan incentives then I negotiated pretty hard on the trade and sales price to get my otd cost that low.

It is quite an upgrade from the 2015 S in terms of looks, range, power, and features so I'm pretty excited. I look at the 2015 as a bit of an anomaly because the initial range was so low that I didn't have much buffer, I honestly think I could drive this car for a decade of I chose to buy it.
2018 SV

SageBrush

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:38 pm

golfcart wrote:
It isn't limited use from my perspective it does everything I need it to do and more plus I'm getting pro-pilot and the hybrid heater to boot.
Sure, but that was not my point. I was saying it cannot replace an *ICE
-----

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:45 pm

SageBrush wrote:
golfcart wrote:
Sure, but that was not my point. I was saying it cannot replace an *ICE
Not everyone drives hundreds of miles, even occasionally. While a LEAF isn't as good as an ICE or some different EVs at long trips, it can do them.

It can't replace an ICE for some people. It can for others.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

golfcart

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:52 pm

SageBrush wrote:Sure, but that was not my point. I was saying it cannot replace an *ICE
Fair point but I don't need it to replace an ICE so not really relevant to my situation. It'll do all we need it to do and more.
2018 SV

SageBrush

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:00 pm

golfcart wrote:
SageBrush wrote:Sure, but that was not my point. I was saying it cannot replace an *ICE
Fair point but I don't need it to replace an ICE so not really relevant to my situation. It'll do all we need it to do and more.
I've already addressed your follow-up comment above. The LEAF puts you in a position of always having to have another full range vehicle. Which is not uncommon; my point is that you are paying a fair amount for a 0.5x vehicle and then you paid a handsome price for the PHEV. The combination is expensive, and you are stuck with an ICE stinker to leave town. And by the way: that one hour stop your mentioned on a long trip is ~ 15 minutes in a Tesla.

I'm in your position too since I own one 0.5x vehicle and one 1.0x vehicle, and the arrangement works very well for us. The difference is that I paid $6,300 for my 0.5x (EV) vehicle so I was comfortable paying more for my no compromise EV. Now admittedly my comparison breaks down because neither of my cars is an SUV and that may be important to you. But it already seems clear that a Tesla Model Y + a cheap 0.5x EV is considerably cheaper than your combination.

I'm not really trying to convince you to do anything other than consider two points:
1. *ICE ownership carries additional costs
2. If all you need for your household is 1.5x cars, you can buy a cheap 0.5x car and a more expensive 1.0x car.

My wife would have been quite unhappy if I had spent $70k (before trade-ins) to flip our household to EV but she was OK with $46k.
Last edited by SageBrush on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-----

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”