Official Tesla Model Y Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. The MY should have been the M3 at the $35K price point THREE YEARS AGO!!!!!!
2. At the actual delivery date, i.e. probably 2021, the marketplace will be super competitive for the MY.
3. The bigger issue for Tesla in 2021 will most likely be its impending Chapter 7, if it even makes it to 2021.

Again, what viable manufacturing company announces a product with a 2+ year delivery date, notwithstanding their extremely
poor past record?

lorenfb said:
2. At the actual delivery date, i.e. probably 2021, the marketplace will be super competitive for the MY.
3. The bigger issue for Tesla in 2021 will most likely be its impending Chapter 7, if it even makes it to 2021.

Again, what viable manufacturing company announces a product with a 2+ year delivery date, notwithstanding their extremely
poor past record?
Many auto makers struggle financially over an extended period of time. It’s not uncommon for a traditional builder to reveal their future products a couple years from availability. Last time I checked, Tesla wasn’t exactly welcome at the Auto Show to display their future goods.

lorenfb said:

poor past record?

The $2500 deposit should have answered your question.

I wonder if people will be less inclined to play the reservation game this time around. Once they got cranking on the model 3 it really wasn't that long until the serious buyers got their cars (of course the short-range people are still waiting). Bumping the reservation fee up to $2,500 will separate the wheat from the chaff though.

lorenfb said:

With the Y being 75% the same as the 3 that makes production and supplier problems so much easier than the previous cars. As well they will be making the 3 (and the Y) in China next year for added profit. 75% is a big deal.

lorenfb said:
Again, what viable manufacturing company announces a product with a 2+ year delivery date, notwithstanding their extremely poor past record?

KWQHhOx.jpg

I'm excited about it. May not buy one, but I find it meets my needs well. The Chrysler Portal minivan is another car that I'm excited about. Competition should be good. https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/18/chrysler-schedules-portal-electric-minivan-for-production/

lorenfb said:

scottf200 said:
With the Y being 75% the same as the 3 that makes production and supplier problems so much easier than the previous cars. As well they will be making the 3 (and the Y) in China next year for added profit. 75% is a big deal.

Tesla's never really had supplier problems, with exception when it can't pay it suppliers.

lorenfb said:
Again, what viable manufacturing company announces a product with a 2+ year delivery date, notwithstanding their extremely poor past record?

Most OEMs don't provide specific model details, then scam potential buyers by asking for reservation deposits to generate
needed cash flow, and then bait-and-switch reservations to more costly model variations, i.e. Tesla, an example of a real
low-life company!

lorenfb said:
lorenfb said:
Most OEMs don't provide specific model details, then scam potential buyers by asking for reservation deposits to generate needed cash flow, and then bait-and-switch reservations to more costly model variations, i.e. Tesla, an example of a real low-life company!
I forgot the reason I put you on ignore in the first place. You make no sense. I occasionally see someone respond to you but I'll be sure to pass over it next time.

Tesla is the only new car company in what 100 years? So many have failed. You have one odd frame of reference.

Tesla from 1 car 11 years ago to what 500,000 now. You saw in my post how many big car companies are ONLY NOW joining the EV revolution ... CERTAINLY Tesla played a major role. I don't think it was the LEAF 2 or 2 plus that convinced them.

scottf200 said:
I forgot the reason I put you [lorenfb] on ignore in the first place.
I did too but his trolling is Tesla specific. If I could only block his Tesla posts I would read his other posts.

scottf200 said:
You saw in my post how many big car companies are ONLY NOW joining the EV revolution ... CERTAINLY Tesla played a major role. I don't think it was the LEAF 2 or 2 plus that convinced them.

Changing economics is perhaps the key driver of EV "revolution".

How it happened isn't as important. Telsa, LEAF, iMiev, something else or some kit or conversion would have eventually hit critical mass. Might have been later without Tesla. LEAF might have been the player if the Model S died. Hard to say.

Model Y is too "sedan like" and not enough hatchback/stationwagon for my tastes. I'm not a fan of the big screen as the user interface as well.

I'm perhaps two years away from a new EV. Looks like I'll have a lot of choices.

scottf200 said:
Tesla from 1 car 11 years ago to what 500,000 now. You saw in my post how many big car companies are ONLY NOW joining the EV revolution ... CERTAINLY Tesla played a major role. I don't think it was the LEAF 2 or 2 plus that convinced them.

A quick glance at the distribution of EVs makes it quite obvious that California is the main reason for new EV intros...

scottf200 said:
lorenfb said:
lorenfb said:
Most OEMs don't provide specific model details, then scam potential buyers by asking for reservation deposits to generate needed cash flow, and then bait-and-switch reservations to more costly model variations, i.e. Tesla, an example of a real low-life company!
I forgot the reason I put you on ignore in the first place. You make no sense. I occasionally see someone respond to you but I'll be sure to pass over it next time.

Failed your HS reading comprehension class?

Again, to make it simple (for the daft):

1. Tesla announces a new product (MY) with a 2+ year delivery date. Given Tesla's past performance (extremely poor), it's probably
3+ years if they're not in Chapter 7 by then.
2. Tesla announces it will take deposits, e.g. $2.5K for MY, i.e. a scam to generate needed cash flow. Anyone with half a brain
would laugh after remembering the M3 deliveries. And what did the $1K deposit gain for those in 2016 that gave Tesla
that $1K deposit for a M3? Now in 2019, what's the true reality about a $35K M3 delivery?
3. Tesla then typically does a bait-and-switch, e.g. M3, to up-sell reservation holders to a much more costly model variation.

Bottom Line: A real low-life ------ -- ---- company, right? And some even invest in such a company?

scottf200 said:
You saw in my post how many big car companies are ONLY NOW joining the EV revolution ... CERTAINLY Tesla played a major role.

"EV revolution", you've been smoking the same stuff as Elon, right? We aren't anywhere near an "EV revolution"!

Electric car use by country varies worldwide, as the adoption of plug-in electric vehicles is affected by consumer demand, market prices and government incentives. Plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs) are generally divided into all-electric or battery electric vehicles (BEVs), that run only on batteries, and plug-in hybrids (PHEVs), that combine battery power with internal combustion engines. The popularity of electric vehicles has been expanding rapidly due to government subsidies, their increased range and lower battery costs, and environmental sensitivity. However, the stock of plug-in electric cars represented just about 1 out of every 250 motor vehicles on the world's roads by December 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_car_use_by_country

You can always edit the Wikipedia data.

lorenfb said:
However, the stock of plug-in electric cars represented just about 1 out of every 250 motor vehicles on the world's roads by December 2018.

Personal computers were far less common than that when I bought the parts to make my 8080 based computer. Sure, modified TV display, cassette tape data and program storage and such were all clunky. And a whole 8k bytes of RAM.

I could see the revolution coming.

Same with electric cars. Sure, might take another 20 years for half of the vehicles on the road are electric. So? Real changes don't happen overnight.

I predate Musk and Tesla on this view of the electric car revolution.

Tesla doesn't fit my needs and desires.

WetEV said:
lorenfb said:
However, the stock of plug-in electric cars represented just about 1 out of every 250 motor vehicles on the world's roads by December 2018.

Personal computers were far less common than that when I bought the parts to make my 8080 based computer. Sure, modified TV display, cassette tape data and program storage and such were all clunky. And a whole 8k bytes of RAM.

Yes, I remember that well too. The impetus for adoption of the PC wasn't the utility of the PC itself, but the arrival of the internet.
Back then, few valued the ability to do word processing via WordPerfect or create spreadsheets on VisiCalc. Most yawned when
you demoed your PC, as most do today when you start a discussion about a BEV. Again, the key for a significant BEV adoption
by the consumer and a potential "EV revolution" will occur when the consumer perceives a significant value over an ICEV.
Presently, that's not the case!

lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
I think it will be THE EV for the 'mainstream.'

Dream on! "Mainstream" at ~ $50K, right?
I amended my post to clarify that I used 'mainstream' to mean 10% new car market penetration.

New vehicle average prices in the USA are approaching $40k. The $10k difference that you emphasize is easily covered by fuel costs differences for households with PV even if no tax credits are available. I'm presuming that 10% of the USA households can still do arithmetic.

Back