2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
I thought someone was asking in one of these threads if anyone had bought a Leaf Plus yet...
golfcart said:
Has anyone seen an S Plus available at a dealer? When I search on Nissan USA's inventory page I can't find a single one in stock but there are SV Plus and SL Plus available all over the place.
FWIW, I was at https://www.stevencreeknissan.com/ to try to see what they'd give me for my '13 Leaf (ridiculously low), and before I left, I asked if they had any Leaf Plus in stock. The appraiser guy claimed he didn't sell cars only appraise, but he said something like "the 62?" Anyway, after talking to him and another sales droid, yes, we determined we were talking about the 62 kWh Leaf.

They said they didn't have any, only the "150 mile" one. I asked when they'd get any. Reply: In the next 3 to 4 months...

Sales droid made some remarks that they can't usually sell Leafs for a profit or much of a profit at all. He hinted that 62 kWh Leaf would start out at MSRP.

The dealer changed ownership recently. It was previously part of one of three "Premier" Nissans in the Bay Area.

That's interesting, you'd think California would be the first place to get them. There are three SL Plus and one SV Plus on lots in my area already according to dealer webpages so they seem to be shipping down this way although I haven't confirmed in person.

I was asking specifically about the S Plus though I just didn't see any of those available ANYWHERE and I think they are a (relatively) great value if you aren't concerned with Propilot stuff. You get the HP, Torque, big screen, heated seats, and range for about the price of a fully loaded 40kWh SV. I just checked this morning on nissanusa.com and there are S Plus available now in the inventory search so they must have just rolled those out a bit later.

And yes, the trade value on 24kWh Leaf really is disgustingly low at this point.. I'm glad I didn't pay anything close to MSRP on my 2015 or I'd be pissed. :D

There are three SL Plus and one SV Plus on lots in my area already according to dealer webpages so they seem to be shipping down this way although I haven't confirmed in person.

When the Bolt first came out, they were appearing on dealer websites here, too - but there weren't any. They were pre-orders being shipped to those dealers to deliver to the customers who ordered them, and were never actually in stock.

LeftieBiker said:
There are three SL Plus and one SV Plus on lots in my area already according to dealer webpages so they seem to be shipping down this way although I haven't confirmed in person.

When the Bolt first came out, they were appearing on dealer websites here, too - but there weren't any. They were pre-orders being shipped to those dealers to deliver to the customers who ordered them, and were never actually in stock.

I bet you that is the reason. Thanks.

Does anyone know where the battery vents in the leaf plus? I had heard it’s to the cabin, to take advantage of climate control. I don’t have anything to back that up.

In our 13 we tape the front grill in the winter as it slows the batter cooling from garage to outdoor temps (especially in sub zero or -23 F like we saw this year) and reduces cold air into the cabin.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Does anyone know where the battery vents in the leaf plus? I had heard it’s to the cabin, to take advantage of climate control. I don’t have anything to back that up.

In our 13 we tape the front grill in the winter as it slows the batter cooling from garage to outdoor temps (especially in sub zero or -23 F like we saw this year) and reduces cold air into the cabin.

No venting of any kind

golfcart said:
LeftieBiker said:

You're welcome. To further explain: these Bolts didn't just appear in website listings when they arrived at the dealerships - they appeared as soon as they were shipped from the factory, in many cases, and transit to dealers seemed to take as long as three weeks(!). This meant that they couldn't even be 'walked around' on the lot.

LeftieBiker said:
golfcart said:
LeftieBiker said:

You're welcome. To further explain: these Bolts didn't just appear in website listings when they arrived at the dealerships - they appeared as soon as they were shipped from the factory, in many cases, and transit to dealers seemed to take as long as three weeks(!). This meant that they couldn't even be 'walked around' on the lot.
I noticed the same when the Prius Prime first came out. In some cases even when cars finally reached a dealership the car could be invisible if it was reserved for a customer.

After over 6 months of anticipation, we now have a new LEAF SL Plus! So new, the insurance company couldn't decode the VIN. Perhaps the Plus has a different model code in the VIN.

I checked the Nissan inventory search. Pluses started to show up in our region around March 7 and one appeared for the local dealer on March 11. I think they actually received it on March 12. The Smyrna factory is less than a day's drive away. Our dealer is in a mostly rural county and it's been about a year since they last had a LEAF on the lot. I checked with some dealers in the closest major city (Charlotte, NC) and they had not heard anything about when they would get a Plus.

We cut it close. Our 2015 LEAF was leased and we were granted a 6 month extension, expiring on March 19! We purchased the new one and intend to drive it for at least 10 years. With the big battery, we can tolerate significant degradation and still have much better range than the 2015.

gesingle said:
After over 6 months of anticipation, we now have a new LEAF SL Plus! So new, the insurance company couldn't decode the VIN. Perhaps the Plus has a different model code in the VIN.

I checked the Nissan inventory search. Pluses started to show up in our region around March 7 and one appeared for the local dealer on March 11. I think they actually received it on March 12. The Smyrna factory is less than a day's drive away. Our dealer is in a mostly rural county and it's been about a year since they last had a LEAF on the lot. I checked with some dealers in the closest major city (Charlotte, NC) and they had not heard anything about when they would get a Plus.

We cut it close. Our 2015 LEAF was leased and we were granted a 6 month extension, expiring on March 19! We purchased the new one and intend to drive it for at least 10 years. With the big battery, we can tolerate significant degradation and still have much better range than the 2015.

This is the norm for new cars especially existing models with major changes. Your insurance company will still cover you and they will figure it out usually in less than a month.

Congrats on car! any new degradation warranty info to pass along? What SOC does the knee happen?

gesingle said:
After over 6 months of anticipation, we now have a new LEAF SL Plus!

Congrats and welcome to MNL.

I was at a Nissan dealer this past week considering a 2019 SV (no Pro), but the lowest on a 3 yr was $3K plus $350/mo.
They indicated that in the next few weeks they might have a Plus. I'll wait and see how the 2019s sell and how motivated Nissan
is to "move" the 2019s this summer.

I've been a little concerned that the LeafSpy app might not communicate with the 2019 Leafs. Are you aware of the LeafSpy app
that runs on iOS & Android? It can provide a lot info on the Leaf's battery. There's a free version for download. You might consider
downloading the app and providing MNL some battery data about your new Leaf.

Congrats on car! any new degradation warranty info to pass along? What SOC does the knee happen?

The warranty booklet says "...the lithium-ion battery is also warranted against capacity loss below nine segments as shown on the vehicle's battery capacity gauge for 96 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first."

I just got a LeafSpy and am still figuring it out, Haven't monitored a charge cycle yet.

gesingle said:

The warranty booklet says "...the lithium-ion battery is also warranted against capacity loss below nine segments as shown on the vehicle's battery capacity gauge for 96 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first."

I just got a LeafSpy and am still figuring it out, Haven't monitored a charge cycle yet.

That warranty is the same as for the previous recent Nissan Leafs, with exception of earlier Leafs like mine. It was only 5 years or 60K,
or whatever. I received my expected value after 5.5 yrs and 73K miles at this point in time, and with no problems whatsoever.

That's great that you have LeafSpy. If you're like some on MNL, you'll enjoy the app and help provide some of us on MNL insightful info
about the e-Plus.

So based on the gov fuel efficiency site. 94 miles per e-gallon, would translate to only about 180 freeway miles. (33 kWh per gallon)

That feels low from early observations.

Anyone driving the new plus have any more data (at 55 or 65 or 70) to report?

Thanks

lorenfb said:
gesingle said:

I was at a Nissan dealer this past week considering a 2019 SV (no Pro), but the lowest on a 3 yr was $3K plus $350/mo.
They indicated that in the next few weeks they might have a Plus. I'll wait and see how the 2019s sell and how motivated Nissan

I've been a little concerned that the LeafSpy app might not communicate with the 2019 Leafs. Are you aware of the LeafSpy app
that runs on iOS & Android? It can provide a lot info on the Leaf's battery. There's a free version for download. You might consider

I downloaded the latest iOS LeafSpy Pro from the Apple store, version 1.7.38. OBDII scanner is an LELink 2 for Bluetooth. It connected right up and seems to be working fine. The Model Year settings had dropdowns for 2019 and battery size 60 kWh (not 62, but close enough). I'm still tinkering with it, but once I get some good logs I can post some data such as the SOC at the knee requested by DaveinOlyWA. Is there other data that some might find useful?

gesingle said:
lorenfb said:
gesingle said:

I downloaded the latest iOS LeafSpy Pro from the Apple store, version 1.7.38. OBDII scanner is an LELink 2 for Bluetooth. It connected right up and seems to be working fine. The Model Year settings had dropdowns for 2019 and battery size 60 kWh (not 62, but close enough). I'm still tinkering with it, but once I get some good logs I can post some data such as the SOC at the knee requested by DaveinOlyWA. Is there other data that some might find useful?

Awesome!!

Yeah, add anything that seems interesting. Ahr would be good. kwh available at full charge. GIDs at full charge.

DougWantsALeaf said:
So based on the gov fuel efficiency site. 94 miles per e-gallon, would translate to only about 180 freeway miles. (33 kWh per gallon)
I'll guess 60 kWh usable, so (60/33.4)*94 = 169 mile highway range maximum. A more realistic number presuming SoC use from 90% down to 10% then leaves 169*0.8 = 135 highway miles.
EPA highway testing is equivalent to ~ 65 mph on dry roads, no headwind and lowish AC use. Less benign weather and poorly considered cabin heating instead of more efficient measures can knock 30-50% off EPA range.

All told, you can feel secure in having 75 miles of range year-round ... until the battery degrades.

DougWantsALeaf said:

Half of EPA range is 107 for the SL and SV, 113 miles for the S. Probably a fair estimate for No Worries Range.

Come on. For years I could do a careful 100 miles at 55 mph on my 13 leaf. 60-80 degrees.

Tony Williams’ tests were about 85-88 miles at 62mph. All with about 21.5 usable kWh

Assuming only a small loss of efficiency due to extra weight, at 60 usable, 200 miles has to be doable at 62 mph.

Interesting such a big differs between S an SV as the weight is only about 30 pounds different.

I was talking to Nissan around the time I ordered by SV and they told me they hadn’t seen the difference in ther testing as the gov between the trim levels.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Come on. For years I could do a careful 100 miles at 55 mph on my 13 leaf. 60-80 degrees.

Yes, but that is careful driving, not a fully degraded battery, not having a reserve and at optimum temperatures.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Assuming only a small loss of efficiency due to extra weight, at 60 usable, 200 miles has to be doable at 62 mph.

Yea, likely in ideal conditions.

WetEV said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Yes, but that is careful driving, not a fully degraded battery, not having a reserve and at optimum temperatures.

DougWantsALeaf said:

Yea, likely in ideal conditions.

Doesn't ignore the fact that LEAFs have always beaten the EPA in good conditions. 100 miles on the original is a stretch but 90 was quite easy. Sure the speed limit here is 60 and not always possible, but that is reality.

Back