So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2015 Leaf S that I purchased at the end of my lease appears to have dropped its first bar at 20,000 miles.

Weirdly, driving off fully charged displays 11 bars. After driving 5 miles or so, the 12th bar reappears.

Residential Driving: 90+ miles on the GOM. 85 miles or a little less in the real world. I never drive it much below 12-20 miles

Mixed Highway/Residential: 70 miles...maybe. Driving more than 60 mph appears to rapidly drain the battery. A round trip to Atlanta airport is about 63 miles from my home...mostly on the interstate...and I have avoided attempting it in the last 6 months. I don't even consider turning on the heater on that run.

Mind you, my Miles per KWh is always in the range 4.2 - 5.6

SOH: 84.67%

The tires are inflated to 41 lbs. and carefully monitored via Leaf Spy Pro. I have long supported the notion that tire inflation is probably one of the main factors in still getting the range I do despite the car being 4 years old. The Bridgestone tires are very worn on some edges.

As spring rolls through Georgia, I do notice my range increasing, if only a bit. But we only dip to 20-30F degrees a few times a year, so it's nothing like those of you living in cold climates.

I have a 2018 Model S with roughly 12,000 miles on it.

My range varies significantly on a full charge from about 100 miles to 170 miles. My average is somewhere around 120-130 miles, which is significantly less than the 152 mile range that I though I would get when I bought the car.

I can only get 170 miles out of a charge if I'm driving reasonable speeds on flat surfaces with the AC off, which is almost never. I've read on this forum that some people get over 5 Kwh efficiency, but I've never seen that on my Leaf.

The guess-o-meter is completely useless. After one year, I can make a pretty good estimate of how many miles I can get based on weather and driving style.

I do like the car and may decide to keep it after the lease is up. However, I was hoping to take it on ski trips, but with only 100 miles of range in cold whether and lots of hills, I don't think the car will make it.

Tortoisehead

Jump over to the 40 and 62 kWh range experiences thread. Lots of ancillary stories there.

In my 19 + at minimal freeway speeds (55) I am also not at 5 yet (have a couple tricks left to try), partially I think due to the extra weight.

Around town 5 and above is easily doable(even with the heavy car), but the key is still gentle acceleration and managing decelerations to preserve momentum where possible.

Tortoisehead77 said:
I have a 2018 Model S with roughly 12,000 miles on it.

My range varies significantly on a full charge from about 100 miles to 170 miles. My average is somewhere around 120-130 miles, which is significantly less than the 152 mile range that I though I would get when I bought the car.

I can only get 170 miles out of a charge if I'm driving reasonable speeds on flat surfaces with the AC off, which is almost never. I've read on this forum that some people get over 5 Kwh efficiency, but I've never seen that on my Leaf.

The guess-o-meter is completely useless. After one year, I can make a pretty good estimate of how many miles I can get based on weather and driving style.

I do like the car and may decide to keep it after the lease is up. However, I was hoping to take it on ski trips, but with only 100 miles of range in cold whether and lots of hills, I don't think the car will make it.

We are always surprised how accurate the GOM is. Usually within a few percent. We have a once a week commute about 122 km return. We typically start with 192 km range and there is always around 65 to 70 km left on the GOM when we get back. At least this time of year. No AC in the morning and return with AC on. Starting range used to be around 202 this time of year do we have lost a little range over the last three or so years. The trip is half highway speed and half around 70 kmh. Rolly hills but nothing extreme.

Concur that the updated GOM is significantly better than the earlier leaf. Just did a 178 miles 80% freeway speed (30%+reserve with 86 miles on GOM showing) and GOM moved maybe +/- 5 or so miles at any point during the trip in spite of variances in speed for things like construction.

I've had my 2019 SL plus for almost a month. Not a ton of time to do a really accurate analysis, but I do enjoy the feeling of getting something better than I expected for a change, even if is temporary!! I agree, the GOM must have improved greatly on newer models. I've been driving in almost perfect conditions in mainly city driving so far, so I don't expect this to last, but I've been getting 400km plus per full charge (my calculations based on KM driven seem to be quite close to the GOM)
Ask me again after a cold winter and I'll have a more realistic answer, but it feels good to be excited about it while is lasts.

Does anyone have a Leafspy reading on the Plus yet for Low Battery and VLB? How many GIDS/kWh's left at those alarm points? And what % on the dash is shown (when car is newer at least)

thanks,
Doug

Haven't really noticed a substantial drop in range. Seems pretty much as new. I have a 2015 SV with 46k miles. According to Leaf-Spy Pro I have a SOH of 94.4%, after 39 quick charges, and 2023 L1/L2 charges. Always kept in Mid Atlantic State area (DC Capitol Beltway). Received car off-lease with 3600 miles. Most of the quick charges must have been while the car was leased because I have only used the CHAdeMO 8 times. I do not charge when ambient temperatures are above 90F. I have a 32 mile drive to work where I use the L2 charger to top off before returning home in the evening (64 mile round trip). The car never goes below 50% before being recharged (typically down to between 58%-63% before charging). Charging method at home and at work is always L2. I'm very pleased with the battery life so far. I'm convinced that with fewer quick charges my SOH would be closer to 96% or 97%. My tire pressure is kept at 40psi and I am consistently averaging 4.2 miles/kWh.

2015 24KW battery, LeafSpy SOH 93.5%

Starting SOC : 100%
Range (till battery low) : 120Km
Range (till turtle) : Didn't get there
Efficiency : Km/Kwh 6.4
Driving : Mixed rural roads and highway
Climate : 8 degrees Celsius, Steering wheel and one seat heat.

The display went to one bar, and the last battery SOC displayed was 6% and last range displayed was 13km before both went blank.
LeafSpy showed a SOC of 98.5% at the start and 13.5% at the end. The displayed SOC matched LeafSpy untill it started to get low then the displayed SOC degraded faster than LEafSpy reported. I suspect Nissan built in a bit of a buffer.

Does anyone have experience on how far it will go from Battery Low to Turtle

This is exactly why I upgraded to Tesla. No more range anxiety. Road trips are fun now and with the V3 SuperCharging coming on line the charge time is dropping in half.

I have 2011 Leaf here Finland (Scandinavia, Europe). SOH is about 65% and I have 8 bars. I lost only 1 % capacity in 12 months. It seems that the battery likes that it is used. When I was in work we drove about 8.000 km (5.000 miles) per year. Now after retirement we drove three times so much. On summer the range is about 100 km (62 miles) and on winter the range is 70-80 km (43-50 miles). Heating reduces range 25-30% because I have no heatpump at Leaf. We have made 454 km (282 miles) long trips to my wife's mother by charging 9 times going there. The longest trip I dare to drive before charging at winter is 70 km (43 miles). When the leaf announces -- km left there is still SOC 25%. It seems that the leaf battery may last much longer than 10 years. After that the battery will serve for sail boat electric propulsion.

jtselkain said:
I have 2011 Leaf here Finland (Scandinavia, Europe). SOH is about 65% and I have 8 bars. I lost only 1 % capacity in 12 months. It seems that the battery likes that it is used. When I was in work we drove about 8.000 km (5.000 miles) per year. Now after retirement we drove three times so much. On summer the range is about 100 km (62 miles) and on winter the range is 70-80 km (43-50 miles). Heating reduces range 25-30% because I have no heatpump at Leaf. We have made 454 km (282 miles) long trips to my wife's mother by charging 9 times going there. The longest trip I dare to drive before charging at winter is 70 km (43 miles). When the leaf announces -- km left there is still SOC 25%. It seems that the leaf battery may last much longer than 10 years. After that the battery will serve for sail boat electric propulsion.

Same for mine! It's at 9/12 bars and 64.5% health (somehow) and gets about the same range after about 84,000 miles. It never reaches less than 20% SoC either - must be due to increased internal resistance.

Drove my 2015 Leaf until Turtle mode. Got an exact 90 miles (144 kms). Drove for another 0.7 km to the nearest charging station. The average consumption was 8.4 kms/kw which suggests to me that the usable battery is actually 17.1 kw/h (144/8.4). My battery actually charges to 100% with the 12 bars still. Charging 3.5 hours charged from 0 (turtle mode) to 98%.

chucky said:
which suggests to me that the usable battery is actually 17.1 kw/h. My battery actually charges to 100% with the 12 bars still.
You mean 17.1 kWh (not "kw/h").

IIRC, a 24kWh LEAF had about 21kWh usable battery capacity when new. You lose the first bar at 85% remaining capacity. That is 17.85kWh. So your computed value is close (but a little low) for a 12 bar LEAF that is close to dropping the first bar. You might want to get LeafSpyPro to get a read on your SOH.

jlv said:
You mean 17.1 kWh (not "kw/h").

To further clarify that,

1. Metric units named after people are capitalized: W for Watt, named after James Watt (the engineer, not the Reagan's Interior Secretary), A for Ampere, named after Andre-Marie Ampere, V for Volt, after Alessandro Volta. J for Joule, the unit of work or energy, named after James Prescott Joule, C for Coulomb, the unit of electric charge, named after Charles Coulomb.

2. A Watt is the unit of power, i.e., the rate at which energy is expended and work is done, and is defined as a Joule per second. A Volt is the unit of electromotive force, defined as a Joule per Coulomb. An Ampere, or Amp, is the unit of electric current, defined as a Coulomb per second. If we multiply EMF in Volts by Current in Amperes, the Coulombs cancel, and we get power in Watts.

3. The charge indicator on a defibrillator, as any doctor, nurse, paramedic, or Emergency! fan would know, is marked in either Joules or Watt-seconds; from unit analysis, we know that a Joule IS a Watt-second, and the indicator actually shows energy, rather than charge. A kilowatt-hour is the amount of energy expended (or work done) in one hour, at a rate of one kilowatt: one thousand Joules per second times 3600 seconds, or 3.6 megajoules of energy (which is to say, one kilowatt-hour, if released all at once, is equivalent to nine thousand fully charged defibrillators all going off at once).

4. If there were such a thing as a kW/h, unit analysis would reduce it to energy over time squared, which would be an absurdity.

5. By the way, both work and torque are defined in terms of force times distance, but that does not make them equivalent (torque is more specifically force times radius). Which is why we speak of foot-pounds of work or energy, but pound-feet of torque (and yes, that does make the Imperial markings on every torque wrench in the U.S., and possibly the world, fundamentally wrong, but there's not much we can do about it; at least we're using the right terms when we're talking about what a power-train delivers).

(As I learned in high school physics, unit analysis is your friend.)

Be that as it may, this past Wednesday evening, between running errands on my lunch break both Tuesday and Wednesday, and driving to a concert in Long Beach, Tuesday evening, I came home with my traction battery at its lowest state of charge it's been since I bought the car, about 15%. I was concerned enough to treat eight-mile drive home from work as an "economy run," but the dreaded "turtle" did not appear, and without hitting the timer override button (I have 11PM to 6:30AM set as my charging window), by yesterday morning, I was back up to a full charge.

LeftieBiker said:
There is a substantial emergency reserve below the point where the Guess O Meter stops giving numbers.

That is great to hear! We've been getting pretty good, predictable range from our 2017, but last night I had a bit of a scare.

I drove into town with a starting range of ~75 and about 15 miles later at my destination (mostly downhill) it was down to 45. On the return trip I took a different route. After about 10 miles it was down to 22, so I stopped at a friend's house to charge for the last 13 miles home, which was going to be on dark country roads with few houses. It wasn't frigid, but the temperature indicator was showing 38F.

After a couple of pleasant hours with my friends, the LEAF showed 55 miles of range -- surely plenty for a 13-mile trip? But it dropped precipitously over the first fiew miles and about 9 miles from home, on the most desolate section of road, I watched the indicator tick down about every 1/4 mile: 25... 24... 23... and the battery indicator drifted down toward the red range. :shock:

After a couple of hills and a minimum value of 14, I did make it home, which is near near the bottom of a hill, with 18 miles still on the gauge.

Several contributing factors: (a) I do enjoy "punching it" at traffic lights because the LEAF has such lively acceleration and it's fun to leave monster trucks far behind, although obviously I stopped doing this the moment I saw the range was down (b) temperatures were between 35F and 45F, (c) speed limits were mostly between 40 and 55, (d) the drive home was mostly uphill, and (e) we just replaced the original tires with all-season (maybe more rolling resistance).

But, even with all those considerations, I didn't expect the range to drop so quickly, in either direction. But before we take it to the dealer$hip to have a look, do you folks think this sounds normal? Or should we get the batteries checked?

Yes, I figure abandoning the GOM is the best bet. After I posted, it occurred to me that on trickle charge (110v) I should expect to add ~3-5 miles of range per hour charging. I was at my friends house for ~2.5 hours. Hence if the range really was about 20 miles by the time I reached their house, then it should have been ~32 miles at most when I left, not the 55 miles shown on the GOM. After a 13-mile trip home, 18 miles remaining range was just about right.

I'm probably re-hashing an issue that's been on these forums a lot, so I'll spend some time reviewing old ones. Thanks!

Back