Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a text about 30 min ago on my Model 3 SR ordered 2/28. "Your Model 3 is tentatively scheduled to be delivered on 3/30 between 12 PM-2 PM...". Only 2 days late from the estimated delivery of 2-4 weeks. That's really good for Elon time.

iPlug said:
Got a text about 30 min ago on my Model 3 SR ordered 2/28. "Your Model 3 is tentatively scheduled to be delivered on 3/30 between 12 PM-2 PM...". Only 2 days late from the estimated delivery of 2-4 weeks. That's really good for Elon time.

I got the same text. 3/29 at 3:30pm, so almost exactly one day late from the 2-4 week estimate.

I was at the Rocklin store when I placed my order. What a fun day that was. Almost exactly 3 years ago.

palmermd said:
iPlug said:

I got the same text. 3/29 at 3:30pm, so almost exactly one day late from the 2-4 week estimate.

I was at the Rocklin store when I placed my order. What a fun day that was. Almost exactly 3 years ago.
SR? Any options?

Ok, same here. I'm closer to the factory, but you get yours a day earlier. :)

Not sure I understood the last part of the text: "...Prior to delivery, please complete and submit your delivery profile at www.tesla.com/teslaaccount"

There does not seem to be anywhere on my account to do this. IIRC, I already did that at the time of my order. My delivery time and address show correctly on my account page.

The first report is out for a Model 3 LR charging at an updated V2 Supercharger:

145 kW up to 44% SoC
117 kW at 60% SoC

Insane improvement, now long trips will average over 2 kWh a minute when charging.
And when V3 Superchargers are available the car will add ~ 50 miles at a low SoC in 2 - 3 minutes.

Very useful amateur drag test of roof racks on TMC:
Model 3 Roof Rack Options - Comparing Efficiencies
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr..._campaign=ed82&utm_content=iss44#post-3404412

As winter arrived I was excited to strap a roof rack on my Model 3 and take it to the mountains. I quickly discovered little information out there about how it would impact the range. Given the long cold uphill drive and variable weather conditions, I was determined to find the highest efficiency setup and characterize it for route planning. I started with a stock TM3 LR AWD, keeping as many variables constant as possible, and did 20+ runs up and down the highway gathering data. I tested with both the SeaSucker Monkey Bars and Tesla's Roof Rack, with various configurations of snowboards, carriers, and fairings.
There is a bar graph as well as summaries.

SageBrush said:
The first report is out for a Model 3 LR charging at an updated V2 Supercharger:

145 kW up to 44% SoC
117 kW at 60% SoC

Insane improvement, now long trips will average over 2 kWh a minute when charging.
And when V3 Superchargers are available the car will add ~ 50 miles at a low SoC in 2 - 3 minutes.

That’s pretty cool. Model 3, White on White, LR, Upgrade rims, Autopilot. That’s our first choice for a replacement for Angela’s Smart EV convertible. If they come out with a Chademo adapter we’ll pull the trigger. If not we’ll order an Eplus Leaf SL with all the trimmings. We have some time so we’ll hang in there for a bit to see if Tesla makes the Chademo adapter for the model 3.

webeleafowners said:
Model 3, White on White, LR, Upgrade rims, Autopilot. That’s our first choice for a replacement for Angela’s Smart EV convertible. If they come out with a Chademo adapter we’ll pull the trigger. If not we’ll order an Eplus Leaf SL with all the trimmings. We have some time so we’ll hang in there for a bit to see if Tesla makes the Chademo adapter for the model 3.
Interesting. Your vehicle choice is based solely on whether or not a specific adapter is available. I can understand if you’re in parts of Canada where CHAdeMO chargers far outnumber Superchargers, but elsewhere? To date, Tesla has made no announcement nor move toward supporting CHAdeMO so it would appear your decision is an easy one. Enjoy your new LEAF.

Tesla has the Model S/X CHAdeMO adapter listing currently for $602.

Would like to have one of these for the Model 3, but that's a hard price to swallow. Might be worth it for a commuter who would depend on it, but was looking to have one as back-up to fill in the gaps between superchargers on the occasional long trips for convenience and emergencies.

If an adapter is made for the Model 3, my bet is that it will be a CCS adapter, not CHAdeMO.

Also, for those concerned with the price of adapters, you might want to check with the host sites of charging stations you might frequent, as they may have an adapter. I know of at least one site in Maryland that has an adapter in their store for Tesla owners to use. Also check with any local clubs that may have members with an adapter willing to loan them out. And/or, you could find another owner or two to go in on an adapter with and share it.

iPlug said:
Tesla has the Model S/X CHAdeMO adapter listing currently for $602.

Would like to have one of these for the Model 3, but that's a hard price to swallow. Might be worth it for a commuter who would depend on it, but was looking to have one as back-up to fill in the gaps between superchargers on the occasional long trips for convenience and emergencies.
Indeed, but S and X adapter is incompatible with Model 3, per Tesla. Again, no word from Tesla about a Model 3 CHAdeMO adapter. There are presumably some 3rd-party products, perhaps that would be a solution.

SalisburySam said:
webeleafowners said:
Model 3, White on White, LR, Upgrade rims, Autopilot. That’s our first choice for a replacement for Angela’s Smart EV convertible. If they come out with a Chademo adapter we’ll pull the trigger. If not we’ll order an Eplus Leaf SL with all the trimmings. We have some time so we’ll hang in there for a bit to see if Tesla makes the Chademo adapter for the model 3.
Interesting. Your vehicle choice is based solely on whether or not a specific adapter is available. I can understand if you’re in parts of Canada where CHAdeMO chargers far outnumber Superchargers, but elsewhere? To date, Tesla has made no announcement nor move toward supporting CHAdeMO so it would appear your decision is an easy one. Enjoy your new LEAF.

Yah I know. Seems weird. But we can’t afford two vehicles and still want to continue to drive electric so yah, no choice. Chademo/CCS locations already outnumber Tesla Supercharger locations by 10 to 1 and its still growing. It comes down to where we drive. Vancouver island, the Kootenays, central interior. There is no doubt the model 3 is a better car and it’s definitely our first choice but the Leaf E-Plus is also a nice drive and we can go where we need to go. If we could afford both we would but we need to be practical. But we have a little time. Hopefully they’ll make an adapter like the one for the S and the X.

SalisburySam said:
I can understand if you’re in parts of Canada where CHAdeMO chargers far outnumber Superchargers
That is indeed his situation. The thing is though, it does not take more than a handful of Superchargers to open up a large area to Tesla ownership so between that possibility and Tesla coming out with a CHAdeMO adapter, he is wise to wait as long as he can. He can also consider a 2 or 3 year lease of a non Tesla EV to extend the waiting game.

SageBrush said:
SalisburySam said:
I can understand if you’re in parts of Canada where CHAdeMO chargers far outnumber Superchargers
That is indeed his situation. The thing is though, it does not take more than a handful of Superchargers to open up a large area to Tesla ownership so between that possibility and Tesla coming out with a CHAdeMO adapter, he is wise to wait as long as he can. He can also consider a 2 or 3 year lease of a non Tesla EV to extend the waiting game.

Agreed but unfortunately none are planned for the island although I see one in the Kootenays planned. Doesn’t have to be Chademo. CCS would work as well. No preference.

webeleafowners said:
SageBrush said:
SalisburySam said:

Agreed but unfortunately none are planned for the island although I see one in the Kootenays planned. Doesn’t have to be Chademo. CCS would work as well. No preference.
I admit to a small pang of regret when I watch Teslas videos in Europe. They are able to use Superchargers AND CCS chargers because Europe has standardized on the CCS type 2 plug. That plug is no where near as elegant as the Tesla plug but it sure is versatile. Heck, it even supports up to 22 kW L2 !

In case you are wondering -- N. American CCS is type I, not type II. No inter-operability between them. Universal use of the Tesla plug would be ideal, but barring that option CCS Type II is a pretty good second choice and about 10x better than the ridiculous mish-mash in N. America.

SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:
SageBrush said:

I admit to a small pang of regret when I watch Teslas videos in Europe. They are able to use Superchargers AND CCS chargers because Europe has standardized on the CCS type 2 plug. That plug is no where near as elegant as the Tesla plug but it sure is versatile. Heck, it even supports up to 22 kW L2 !

In case you are wondering -- N. American CCS is type I, not type II. No inter-operability between them. Universal use of the Tesla plug would be ideal, but barring that option CCS Type II is a pretty good second choice and about 10x better than the ridiculous mish-mash in N. America.
AFAIA the only difference between CCS Type I and II is the L2 plug, as the DC pins are the same. They take up about the same room and (aside from the lack of 22kW AC, a minimal advantage even in Europe given the expanding number of DC chargers) provide the same functionality. The number of owned cars that will ever be shipped from one continent to another is minimal, and I think CCS I is pretty clearly going to be the NA standard, with CHAdeMO gradually fading away. Even Honda opted for CCS 1 here, in the Clarity BEV.

iPlug said:
palmermd said:
iPlug said:

SR? Any options?
So, for both of you with SR orders, I am curious to know if you'll end up getting pushed to a later unknown date and upsell in the meantime to SR+?

I came across https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26948744/tesla-model-3-deliveries-delays/. The piece pointed to https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/sr-not-plus-waiting-room.146897/ which I'd seen recently.

FWIW, right now, if you go to https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#battery, SR has an estimated delivery of 6 to 8 weeks while all the other choices claim within 2 weeks.

webeleafowners said:
SageBrush said:
SalisburySam said:

Have you considered a used Model S ?

cwerdna said:
iPlug said:
palmermd said:

SR? Any options?
So, for both of you with SR orders, I am curious to know if you'll end up getting pushed to a later unknown date and upsell in the meantime to SR+?

I came across https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26948744/tesla-model-3-deliveries-delays/. The piece pointed to https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/sr-not-plus-waiting-room.146897/ which I'd seen recently.

FWIW, right now, if you go to https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#battery, SR has an estimated delivery of 6 to 8 weeks while all the other choices claim within 2 weeks.

Yes to both later date and upsell.

Two days ago I called Tesla to see what they had in inventory and left a message. They called me back at the end of the day and said the Model 3 SR would not be available now until May or June. :lol:

I was presented with the "option" to get an SR+ and to take delivery at the same time or earlier as was promised with the SR order.

I’m a sucker, so took the bait. My SR+ was delivered to my house yesterday morning.

Ended up costing me $2k more than the SR basic which added:
-240 mile reported range (same battery, probably just removed software limit)
-partial premium interior/seat material
-heated front seats
-12-way power adjustable heated front seats
-Upgraded audio/immersive sound
-LED fog lamps
-Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones

Back