From truck to leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DustanT said:
On a new one sorry I wasn't clear on that.
You can find regional incentives on Nissans at https://www.choosenissan.com/.

You can find incentives in general at https://www.edmunds.com/car-incentives/. Cars.com used to have a similar listing but I can't find it anymore.

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-to-use-new-car-incentives-rebates-and-finance-deals-1420681108200/ and https://www.cars.com/articles/understanding-factory-to-dealer-incentives-1420681046341/ may help.

https://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/incentives/findIncentivesByRegion/Michigan has Federal and state incentives. If you buy, you must have at least $7,500 in tax liability for a given tax year, otherwise you won't receive the full $7,500 benefit and it can't be carried over to the next tax year.

None of this is of use when buying a used Leaf, at least for your state.

DustanT said:
Wow lots of info to read through here thanks a lot guys. Can someone explain the incentives? I called a dealer near me and asked if I could get some info on a leaf they asked what was a leaf. Needless to say I said uh never mind and hung up. What is the real price of the car and how is the incentive applied.

Although cwerdna's info is correct (the last link was wonderfully concise), from your post history, I'm guessing you need a little bit more guidance?

With new leaf's, the incentives are the same, but applied differently depending on whether you purchase or lease the leaf.

- If you buy the car, you pay the negotiated price (let's say $25k as an example), plus tax + title + delivery fees. The total out the door price might be ~$28k. You can finance that or pay cash. When you file your 2017 tax return sometime in 2018, you'll claim the Federal tax rebate then and deduct $7500 from your tax liability (have your tax preparer explain this) at that time. Same with any state tax rebates. The electric utility discount programs are applied at the time you register with your utilities and affect your electricity rates as soon as you register.

- if you lease the car, the federal tax rebate is actually taken by NMAC and used to reduce the "capital cost" of the lease (along with any NMAC lease incentives. They use that capital cost and pre-determined residual value (california Nissan dealers said that NMAC forbids them from adjusting this) to calculate your down-payment and monthly payments.

The end result (assuming you qualify for the full $7500 federal tax rebate and have good credit) is that your total lease payments [ plus residual value + sales tax ] should be pretty close (minus some lease profit) to what the purchase price would've been. If we take the assumed out-the-door-price of $28k - $7500 = ~$20.5k after fees and rebates.

This is a gross simplification, the actual dollar amounts will vary of course.

Hope this helps!

So It's been a while since I was on here and a lot has happened so I'll just touch up on what I would like to do. Gas prices are on the rise and I think this time they are not going to drop as our governor want to raise the tax another 45 cents a gallon to fix her road. My wife is not working full time anymore while going to collage, my 19yo daughter is also in collage so things are pretty tight for another 1 or 2 years. We have a gmc terrain and my ram 1500 for our daily drivers. As you know the ram is not a sipping machine averaging 12MPG on 35's going down hill on dry pavement. My current drive has only 12 miles of freeway and the rest 2 lane roads for a total of 33 miles one way. I know the leaf in the cooler months wont make it round trip BUT I can install level 2 charger that plugs in to a wall outlet like a dryer plug. I have been reading and watching youtube and forums on the battery and how to check with the leafspy for the battery condition. I have been really looking hard at all the electric only and also range extender cars to include, leaf, volt, BMW i3, VW E golf, for focus E, and FIAT 500E. I think I'm now just overwhelmed and not sure where to go from here. I do want an electric car for a commuter just seem to be stuck on what would be best. I have found a few 13 and 14 year SL and SV leafs for around $10k but a lot of them are missing 2 to 4 bars some even more. That makes me nervous for buying a leaf and wondering if it wont be able to make it to work. My $500+ gas bill a month is getting hard to justify anymore. What do you guys think?

Relax... You are a perfect candidate for a Leaf. However, I would not touch any used with degraded batteries. Judging by the $.46/gal crazy gas tax increase you must be from Michigan and deal with a broad climate.

The key thing to remember about Leafs, especially in cold climates is to always have a “Plan B” for getting enough range to get home. For some, that means workplace charging, for others that might be knowing reliable public chargers on your route. A good “Plan B” also includes alternate routes that are shorter and/or slower speeds to stretch range through reducing the consumption rate. An additional part is retaining a gas powered vehicle for those times that the Leaf isn’t practical.

It’s all a matter of wanting to make it work, or choosing priorities of $500+/mo feeding a Dodge Ram vs. $50/mo feeding a Leaf. The difference can easily make a car payment.

I would say board lightly lol we get down right horrible winters here, up to 200" of the white stuff per year and -40f temps. Parking at work is outside but at home I have a wood stove heating the garage and a lot of times its 70 to 80 in there but average 50 to 60 over night as the stove runs down. My budget is around $8,000, I've been looking at cargurus and 500 mile radius, not sure if there is another site to use for searching. Nothing in my price range in northern michgan and very little electric cars in general in a 200 mile radius. Mostly looking at the SL and SV trims.

DustanT said:
I would say board lightly lol we get down right horrible winters here, up to 200" of the white stuff per year and -40f temps. Parking at work is outside but at home I have a wood stove heating the garage and a lot of times its 70 to 80 in there but average 50 to 60 over night as the stove runs down. My budget is around $8,000, I've been looking at cargurus and 500 mile radius, not sure if there is another site to use for searching. Nothing in my price range in northern michgan and very little electric cars in general in a 200 mile radius. Mostly looking at the SL and SV trims.
I was just at my dealer near Akron, Oh getting a ‘19. They had a very nice late-‘13 SV with roughly 16k miles for @$8500. Was 11 bar, showing @ 83% SOH on Leafspy. The worst thing I can say about it is that it reeks with cigarette smoke. A friend of mine was looking so test drove it. Also test drove a ‘16 S (24KWh) that is very clean. Google search Ron Marhoffer Nissan. Both are on their website.

There are boatloads of used Leaf's here in Boulder, CO. Shipping one to MI would probably cost about $600-800. Just food for thought since I would guess you could save $1000's by buying the car someplace where there are many around and recoup the shipping cost easily.

goldbrick said:
There are boatloads of used Leaf's here in Boulder, CO. Shipping one to MI would probably cost about $600-800. Just food for thought since I would guess you could save $1000's by buying the car someplace where there are many around and recoup the shipping cost easily.

For Colorado I'll drive or fly out there buddy, I love Colorado, we go there every year to visit family a few weeks at a time and looking to maybe move out there in a few years.

rogersleaf said:
DustanT said:
I was just at my dealer near Akron, Oh getting a ‘19. They had a very nice late-‘13 SV with roughly 16k miles for @$8500. Was 11 bar, showing @ 83% SOH on Leafspy. The worst thing I can say about it is that it reeks with cigarette smoke. A friend of mine was looking so test drove it. Also test drove a ‘16 S (24KWh) that is very clean. Google search Ron Marhoffer Nissan. Both are on their website.

I'm looking at those now, the smoke smell can be removed I think but hope there is no burn holes. So this SOH% just give you an idea of how long the battery will last?

DustanT said:
For Colorado I'll drive or fly out there buddy, I love Colorado, we go there every year to visit family a few weeks at a time and looking to maybe move out there in a few years.

So bring a trailer and haul your new Leaf home :cool: No rust, lots of cars to choose from, plus more time in CO.

SOH is more or less the percentage of the original capacity that the car has left. The first bar drops at about 85% SOH, the next bars are about 7.5% per bar. So a car with 11 bars should show 77.5 - 85% SOH and would have 77.5% - 85% of its original capacity. The SOH will give you a more precise reading of the remaining capacity since the bars are a fairly rough estimation of the SOH.

There are several guys at work here who have 24kWh Leafs and they are losing the first bar around 50k miles on average. A lot depends on the usage and charging habits of the owner and hot weather seems to be the biggest factor in battery life.

There is lots of good info in the links below if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27677
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662&p=538030#p538030

Thanks, that's some good reading and starting to get my head wrapped around it. I have found a leaf not to far away I may go take it for a test drive to get a feel while my bank and I talk numbers.

DustanT said:
I'm looking at those now, the smoke smell can be removed I think but hope there is no burn holes. So this SOH% just give you an idea of how long the battery will last?
I didn’t notice any burn holes. Personally have no tolerance for cigarette smoke, my eyes were watering... Told my friend that we could likely get most of the smell out with a wet carpet shampoo machine. As for the battery, others have defined SOH%. Recall the white one had a carfax out of Washington DC area so likely some moderate heat. I could tell it wasn’t NE Ohio because the lack of salt corrosion. It does not have a DCFC port. Thus, given the low miles, likely means the battery degradation likely happened from leaving plugged in for long periods of time at a high state of charge.

Just a passing thought, the 13-15 are only a few thousand less than a 16-17 with low miles and 12 bars, plus longer range and better rates from the bank. Maybe that's a better idea for me to get the bigger battery and better interest rate. 9k at 60 month with a 4.2% or 12k at 72month and 3.2%. But i can pay more on it as side jobs come up.

example of a 15 that looks good

https://www.tomwoodsubaru.com/used/Nissan/2015-Nissan-Leaf-indianapolis-aafc98a40a0e0aea3b339cb77b4ea8dc.htm

Doing a quick search in the same area as that dealership, I think you would be better off going for a 2016 SV, like this one: https://cargur.us/sTGm6

Only trouble with that listing is they don’t show the number of battery bars remaining, so you would need to check it out carefully.

Sorry, I just noticed that listing is actually far away, and was included because they offer cheap shipping. But, that means you don’t get to check the car out first, which is not a good idea in a used Leaf.

Astros said:
Doing a quick search in the same area as that dealership, I think you would be better off going for a 2016 SV, like this one: https://cargur.us/sTGm6

Only trouble with that listing is they don’t show the number of battery bars remaining, so you would need to check it out carefully.

Picture 9 shows like 5 or 6 bars to me unless the glare is covering it up. Just makes me wonder about people some days how they can completely destroy a battery so fast lol.

Astros said:
Sorry, I just noticed that listing is actually far away, and was included because they offer cheap shipping. But, that means you don’t get to check the car out first, which is not a good idea in a used Leaf.

Yeah that's the down fall I'm finding out being so far up north and dealers not able to or not willing to run the health app.

This one looks good, I can see the 12th bar is still there and the price looks ok, yeah it's not a sv or sl but..

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c24312&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c28784&zip=49735&distance=500&searchChanged=true&installedOptionIds=132&maxPrice=13000&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=233003362_isFeatured

So the wife and I sat down and got what we need and want narrowed down. We want the heated seats and wheel, low miles and 12 bars on the battery. DC fast charge compatibility, backup camera, level 2 charger for home and on the road use. We are wondering if the changes in 2015 are significant enough to look at? Or the 13+ with the options we want are good enough? We have max out the door of $12k available. Thanks to you guys helping me out.

Back