Can EV Project members sign up for Chargepoint?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sproqitman

Has anyone read their EV Project agreement closely enough to know if members can use another public charging network? In my area (Seattle), there are a lot more Chargepoint stations (8) than EV Project stations (1). I'd like to sign up for a Chargepoint card, but not if it's going to get me kicked out of the EV Project.

Nope, no problem! I'm an EV Project guy and I'm also signed up for Chargepoint.

sproqitman said:
Has anyone read their EV Project agreement closely enough to know if members can use another public charging network? In my area (Seattle), there are a lot more Chargepoint stations (8) than EV Project stations (1). I'd like to sign up for a Chargepoint card, but not if it's going to get me kicked out of the EV Project.

As far as I can tell, there is no "exclusivity" clause in the EV Project agreement. This makes sense because the EV Project LEAFs keep track of where you plug in (via GPS), for how long, and probably how many KWh you draw. when you plug into your Blink, it will automatically download that data and transmit it to ECOtality.

The Blink EVSE does not download (get) any data from the car.
It does not even know what the LEAF's SOC is when charging "stops".

The LEAF can send data to CARWINGS, but it has no other data connection (other than the short-range bluetooth signal) that I know of.

Perhaps the EVProject has access to the CARWINGS database?

Why guess about this question. Someone who is participating in the E V Project should call Ecotality and ask them.

garygid said:
The Blink EVSE does not download (get) any data from the car.
It does not even know what the LEAF's SOC is when charging "stops".

The LEAF can send data to CARWINGS, but it has no other data connection (other than the short-range bluetooth signal) that I know of.

Perhaps the EVProject has access to the CARWINGS database?
The Nissan LEAF SL-e models include a Zigbee transceiver and the Blink includes a Zigbee transceiver... When I spoke with the EV Project representative when the first Nissan LEAF was delivered here in Oregon I was told this is how they are collecting charging data for the research project.

Thanks for that SL-e communication info.

I guess folks that ordered SL+QC (and later were approved for the EVProject) got $700 back for their QC option, AND Zigbee installed in the LEAF (just to "talk" to the Blink EVSE)?

garygid said:
Thanks for that SL-e communication info.

I guess folks that ordered SL+QC (and later were approved for the EVProject) got $700 back for their QC option, AND Zigbee installed in the LEAF (just to "talk" to the Blink EVSE)?

I think for a lot of us, they did not let us order until we were "approved" for the EV Project, probably for not wanting to have us order the QC option and have it in the price, then have to re-do the order to Etec later. Hence, Sept. order month for me but not allowed to order until Oct. 1.

Back