Post Your Order Details Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Nissan Leaf this afternoon at Stevens Creek Nissan in Santa Clara, California. I got a white SV with the Tech Package and Protection Package (I think that's the front and rear bumper clear protection). It was 36,930 (before tax and doc fee etc). I just bought it (rather than leasing it) because my commute is around 20,000 miles/year.

I didn't haggle to bring the price down or anything - perhaps I could have. But I'm pretty happy with the car.

I assume that you knew, but didn't mind because you live in California, that the heated seats, heated steering wheel, and heatpump are part of an additional package?

Right, they had some SV's on the lot that had an All Weather package I think that was something like an additional $900. As you say I live in California and didn't think I'd need it so I didn't get that package.

So here is the exact price break down for the 2019 Nissan Leaf SV with Tech Package that I bought on 3/2/2019 at Stevens Creek Nissan in Santa Clara California

Cash Price of Vehicle : $36,930
Document Processing Charge: $85
Sales Tax: $3331.35
Electronic Vehicle Registration: $30
Vehicle License Fee: $240
Titling Fees: $258
California Tire Fee: $7

So Adding all that up gives $40,881.35

Now from a rebates/credits perspective I plan to file for:
$7500 Electric Car tax credit
$800 Clean Fuel Rebate from Pacific Gas and Electric

So if I subtract off the tax credit + clean fuel rebate that makes 40,881.35-7500-800 = 32581.35

I could have financed the car to get the Nissan captive cash $1000 rebate (they offered me that) and I could have paid it off early etc. My main goal was to just get the car buying experience over with as quickly as I could, pay cash for the car, and get on with driving it. But if I'd haggled perhaps I could have saved some money (maybe?) and if I'd gone with the financing I could have gotten the Nissan Captive Cash rebate. One boat I missed was that a few months back Pacific Gas and Electric (PG and E ) had a $3000 rebate available for Nissan Leafs but that expired in January

A little late on providing my info, but better late than never...

State : MA
Metro area/city : Boston

Color/trim: Deep Blue, 2018 Leaf S
Options: Charge Pkg, All-Weather Pkg
Accessories: None

Purchase or lease?: Purchase
Total MSRP+destination charge: $32,115

*** Expenses ***
Total quote/price accepted (excluding tax/license): $32,115
Document Prep fee: $499
Sales Taxes: $1650.88
Service Contract: $1553
Title/registration fee: $132.50
=============================
TOTAL: $35,950.38

*** Immediate Discounts/Credits ***
MA State Energy Program discount: $5000
Nissan discount: $500
Trade-in value credit: $700
TOTAL: $6200

*** Future Credits ***
MA State EV Program rebate: $2500
Federal EV Program Credit: $7500
TOTAL: $10,000

Overall TOTAL (after all discounts/credits): $19,750.38

Date/time of reservation: 9/4/2018
Designated order month: September
First date able to request a quote (RAQ): 9/4/2018
Actual order date (when quote was accepted): 9/4/2018
Odometer reading when pickedup (miles): 11

Dealer:
Milford Nissan
Milford, MA

Delivery date: 9/12/2018

Plans for home charging: Using Nissan portable L1/L2 charger included with Charge Pkg

I'm still new to leaf and this forum but is it normal for everyone to pay MSRP?

I came on here because I had some questions regarding used leafs, specifically looking at 2014's and 2015's at carmax.
Carmax does not normally negotiate on price.

But I've never heard of paying full MSRP at a regular dealer?
Why are people doing that? The Leaf sales, from another thread on here appear to be somewhere between "poor" and "abysmal"
Seems to me that makes a good situation to force the dealers to negotiate well below MSRP, maybe even sell at invoice.

Someone will probably say if they sell at invoice they make no money, but I don't buy that at all. I bought a Subaru outback in 2017 (2018 model) and got it a couple hundred above invoice. Everyone seemed happy.

I've even noticed a Dealer in Santa Clarita knocking 3k off their leaf's on their website. Are dealers really letting people walk out because they won't go lower?

what am I missing here? Are dealers so uninterested in selling Leaf's they simply won't negotiate, or is nobody actually trying?

danrjones said:
I'm still new to leaf and this forum but is it normal for everyone to pay MSRP?

I came on here because I had some questions regarding used leafs, specifically looking at 2014's and 2015's at carmax.
Carmax does not normally negotiate on price.

But I've never heard of paying full MSRP at a regular dealer?
Why are people doing that? The Leaf sales, from another thread on here appear to be somewhere between "poor" and "abysmal"
Seems to me that makes a good situation to force the dealers to negotiate well below MSRP, maybe even sell at invoice.

Someone will probably say if they sell at invoice they make no money, but I don't buy that at all. I bought a Subaru outback in 2017 (2018 model) and got it a couple hundred above invoice. Everyone seemed happy.

I've even noticed a Dealer in Santa Clarita knocking 3k off their leaf's on their website. Are dealers really letting people walk out because they won't go lower?

what am I missing here? Are dealers so uninterested in selling Leaf's they simply won't negotiate, or is nobody actually trying?

Prior to 2019, no one was paying MSRP. The only listings that were MSRP were the lease deals, and those included manufacturer discounts that made leasing very attractive.

For 2019, it seems that the manufacturer has enough demand that they're willing to forgo the sale. Some people are stuck in a position where they absolutely have to get a vehicle now, and an EV still pencils out better than an ICE. Give it a few more months, when inventory levels improve to see if the dealers are willing to negotiate then?

Yes, Labor Day weekend and Black Friday week are both good times to get discounted leftover Leafs. Sometimes Memorial Day as well, but I won't guarantee that this year, except on any remaining 2018 Leafs.

True, but my closest dealer actually still has 4 or 5 2018's and didn't seem very interested in making a deal on those either.

What would a 2018 SV be worth now, as its essentially a year old? I've looked on edmunds and KBB but I think they overestimate the value given the fact its not selling.

The Seattle area must have a surplus of 2019 Leafs as they typically have been advertising new Leafs on the internet for $2-$3K below MSRP. One dealer is selling a group of previously titled 2019 Leafs as CPO for ~ $10K off MSPR. Most have less than 50 miles on them. That said, the dealer is taking the fed tax credit and the $1,000 rebate and you cannot get the low Nissan financing rates so the savings are not really as great as they would seem at 1st glance. Still, if one doesn't qualify for a tax credit or doesn't want to wait for it till next year to get it, these could be a good buy. https://kirklandnissan.com/banner/used-leaf-special/

I want to thank everyone for help in various threads.

Carmax finally got my 2015 transferred, went and looked at it, and long story short, it was both awesome and heart breaking. It was a blue 2015 SV with the prem pack. 23k miles. I checked it with leafspy light and it had ~ 91.5% SOH, which I thought was pretty good. But it had front end damage, perhaps a low speed bump into something. The hood alignment was slightly tweaked and the charge door didn't open and close smoothly - caught a bit on the hood. I didn't like that whole unknown scenario. History was clean. I'm a bit bummed because it was a unique car, and I likes the Bose.

Went over to the nissan dealer and got a good (great? lousy?) deal on a 2018 SV with tech and weather pack, pearl white or whatever.
The nissan dealer had 6 on the lot but 4 were leftover new 2018s they hadn't been able to sell.

MSRP 37,000 ish.
Neg price 26800 + tax and dmv
OTD price including rebates and credits: ~15500

One thing that changed on me is that last month nissan clearly had nrac (?) cash of 1k and 0.9% for 60, but apparently those went away for 2018's. Dealer gave me 3.99% for 60 and I plan to goto my bank and redo for 2.99% for 60. I asked about student discount and they said they couldn't do it at that price, which I think was not true. Didn't push it though because although my wife is a student I don't think she qualified as its three specific scenarios only.

I can post more detail if any is curious. I think its a fair deal even though its a model year old. 10k for a carmax used 2015 versus 15k for a new (2018) seemed like an easy choice. Plus the warranty is 10 years on battery capacity loss so that's better too, though I don't plan to keep it that long.

As a side note, I'm in Ridgecrest and someone early on here shared the sad story of a previous Ridgecrest resident with an early 2011 leaf. He mentioned folks here would like to see data from a hot climate for the 2018/2019s.

I'm happy to share leafspy data, though I only have the light version right now. Who and where do I share the data with?

danrjones said:
As a side note, I'm in Ridgecrest and someone early on here shared the sad story of a previous Ridgecrest resident with an early 2011 leaf. He mentioned folks here would like to see data from a hot climate for the 2018/2019s.

I'm happy to share leafspy data, though I only have the light version right now. Who and where do I share the data with?

You can post it in the 40kwh battery topic, which I will link shortly. Thanks.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25773

danrjones said:

One possibility for automated data publishing is myevstats.com. On LeafSpy Pro's Settings page, in the "Server" panel, set the URL to "api.myevstats.com". It works with "http://" selected. I haven't tried selecting "https://". The data that LeafSpy transmits is then summarized at http://myevstats.com.

LeafSpy Pro will also apparently send data to Dropbox, using the "Dropbox" panel just above the "Server" panel in Settings, but I haven't tried that facility.

I can't guarantee that LeafSpy light supports the above, but my guess is it does.

No it has those options but I can't check them to enable with leafspy light

I'm not sure I want buy it since it's not displaying properly for me. I even tried changing my screen resolution.

Bought our Leaf a few weeks ago, E+ SL, cargo organizer, mud gaurds, carpets, etc. MSRP $44,150

Negotiated: $39,948 (invoice $42,352)
After federal rebate: $32,448

+ sales tax

Back