From truck to leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit concerned about that 100% SOH and 100% Hx. A BMS reset is likely, to make the pack appear to be like new - for a few weeks. More info on the car?

EDIT: If it's the car you linked, it appears to show 11 capacity bars rather than 12. Curious...

The car is a 13' SV, had an accident December last year no airbags deployed. 11 bars on the dash and was thinking it was reset after repairs. It's a one owner but the tires never where rotated and the brakes are pretty rough. It rides good and no noises or odd sounds while driving. The readout tho has me wondering and thinking I should pass on this one.

The battery could still be ok - it's just that LeafSpy won't be able to give you usable info until the car has been driven for about a month.

Looking at the car again, it has the Premium Package, which includes a great 4 camera parking system and a nice Bose stereo. It may possibly also have the Quick Charge Package (or just the optional "fog" lights). I'm also puzzled about the white on white color scheme - I didn't think you could get a white interior in a '13, although I'm not sure of that. If your range needs are no more than 75% of what a new Leaf got (about 80 miles at most) and if there is a good explanation for the battery reset, AND there are no other issues, you might want to consider it at that price...or maybe an offer of $7k.

LeftieBiker said:
The battery could still be ok - it's just that LeafSpy won't be able to give you usable info until the car has been driven for about a month.

Looking at the car again, it has the Premium Package, which includes a great 4 camera parking system and a nice Bose stereo. It may possibly also have the Quick Charge Package (or just the optional "fog" lights). I'm also puzzled about the white on white color scheme - I didn't think you could get a white interior in a '13, although I'm not sure of that. If your range needs are no more than 75% of what a new Leaf got (about 80 miles at most) and if there is a good explanation for the battery reset, AND there are no other issues, you might want to consider it at that price...or maybe an offer of $7k.

The car is loaded, I think all that's missing is the leather seats and sunroof. It has the nice headlights, looks like projectors and have a blue hue, fogs lights and a quick charge port. The interior is a white fabric of sorts. The most I need it to go is 45 miles at a time as I've said earlier I can charge in town, at work and home either trickle or the level 2 charger.

The car is loaded, I think all that's missing is the leather seats and sunroof. It has the nice headlights, looks like projectors and have a blue hue, fogs lights and a quick charge port. The interior is a white fabric of sorts. The most I need it to go is 45 miles at a time as I've said earlier I can charge in town, at work and home either trickle or the level 2 charger.

Then if the battery reset was benign (I'd look carefully at any repaired crash damage) you are good to go. One clarification: I meant that the max range would be about 75% of 80 miles, not that 80 miles was 75% of the original range. So about 60 miles in warm weather, and in the worst Winter weather (zero F or colder temps, wind, snow) about 30 miles. I think you wrote that you'd use the truck in those conditions. The heatpump-equipped heater will extend the range in milder Winter weather.

My 2011 has a 2014 battery with 12 bars.
Bar 12 will probably drop by this fall.
So a 2013 with 11 bars is possible.

Oilpan4 said:
My 2011 has a 2014 battery with 12 bars.
Bar 12 will probably drop by this fall.
So a 2013 with 11 bars is possible.

It's not just possible - I suspect it is now the most common bar number for a non-Canary 2013.

Sorry. I dubbed the 2011-3/2013 pack the "Canary Pack" because it isn't so strong or long-lived unless pampered in a cool climate. The next, much-improved version I dubbed the "Wolf Pack" because it's stronger and does great as long as it doesn't have to endure sustained high temps. Nissan dubbed the 2015-2016 24kwh pack the "Lizard Pack" for its somewhat improved heat resistance.

Just a thought here, one with 10 bars that's within the battery warranty for years and miles wouldn't it get replaced? There are some nice 15' 16' with very bad batteries that are cheap.

DustanT said:
Just a thought here, one with 10 bars that's within the battery warranty for years and miles wouldn't it get replaced? There are some nice 15' 16' with very bad batteries that are cheap.

The capacity warranty is 5 years or 60k miles, from the "in service" date - usually the date of first registration - for the 24kwh pack, and IIRC it's 8 years or 80K miles for the 30kwh pack. However, the bar loss must be 4 or more, not two. Most 2013 Leafs are passed the capacity warranty. If you can find a Leaf that's still under that warranty, and has 8 or fewer bars, that could work out well for you.

I have the auto check here on that 13' SL, Other than the body work, bald tires and breaks. I think this car would work for us, if it won't make it in the winter my wife only has a 20 mile round trip to work. I could use the GMC terrain instead of the truck and she can take the leaf. It was in Florida for a year then up to mid Michigan the rest of the time looks like. So an offer of $7900 not to bad for this one?

http://www.bettenbakermuskegon.com/autoCheckReport.do?vehicleId=3395379573&cs:rv=177A88F9CDF26615EEC21E3A16D8FE21#historySection

I'd offer $7k and work up to that, but yes, as long as a 60/~40 miles Summer/Winter range is fine, it should work. If they want more money, try getting them to throw in a Nissan Gold Preferred used car warranty - no other warranty covers enough in the Leaf, just that one. Make sure it will actually stay in effect for at least a year.

LeftieBiker said:
I'd offer $7k and work up to that, but yes, as long as a 60/~40 miles Summer/Winter range is fine, it should work. If they want more money, try getting them to throw in a Nissan Gold Preferred used car warranty - no other warranty covers enough in the Leaf, just that one. Make sure it will actually stay in effect for at least a year.

Now them not being a Nissan dealership a problem? They are a used lot off a Chevy dealer. Buying g from a Nissan dealership better for the leaf?

You probably can't get the Nissan Gold warranty from a Chevy dealership, so bargain hard on the price. An 11 bar Leaf is worth significantly less than a 12 bar car, and the accident damage, even fixed well, makes it worth even less. Get the manufacture date, if you haven't, and ONLY try to buy it if it was built AFTER March of 2013. Finally, keep in mind that even showing 11 bars now, it could actually have 10, or 9 - the reset fools the BMS for about a month's worth of driving...

LeftieBiker said:
You probably can't get the Nissan Gold warranty from a Chevy dealership, so bargain hard on the price. An 11 bar Leaf is worth significantly less than a 12 bar car, and the accident damage, even fixed well, makes it worth even less. Get the manufacture date, if you haven't, and ONLY try to buy it if it was built AFTER March of 2013. Finally, keep in mind that even showing 11 bars now, it could actually have 10, or 9 - the reset fools the BMS for about a month's worth of driving...

Well man buying a leaf is giving me a headache.

I made my offer and was told no and out the door he said was $9k. Looks like I'm still looking.

If you can get a 2018 SL, good - that's what I drive. Nice car - if you like the mandatory leather - with a pack that may not last as long as it should. However, if you are ok with 80-90 miles of range in a few years (and then a free new pack if you own it) and the price is right, I think you'd like one. If you can get a good lease deal, with a residual in the $16k vicinity, I'd lease it and then, if you like it, buy it off lease. If you qualify for the full $7500 tax credit, then buying would be the less expensive route.

LeftieBiker said:
If you can get a 2018 SL, good - that's what I drive. Nice car - if you like the mandatory leather - with a pack that may not last as long as it should. However, if you are ok with 80-90 miles of range in a few years (and then a free new pack if you own it) and the price is right, I think you'd like one. If you can get a good lease deal, with a residual in the $16k vicinity, I'd lease it and then, if you like it, buy it off lease. If you qualify for the full $7500 tax credit, then buying would be the less expensive route.

Unfortunately they don't have leases for how much I drive a year. Last I checked I was just over 20k miles down from 30k a few years ago. 80 to 90 miles is over what I need it to be on a daily basis so that's good. I have no idea what the tax credit is for sure but I know from what I read you don't get money back or off the price of the car so not sure what all the hype is about. The cars I've seen are around 25 grand with 10k Miles or less, something about CPO.

Back