NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drobtravels said:
Should Carwings connect immediately after the upgrade, or is there a waiting period?

I recently purchased as 2015 Leaf SL and have brought it to the dealer 3x so far for the upgrade, so they're obviously not familiar with how to do this. On Friday they did actually upgrade the hardware, as I can verify via the Unit ID. However, I still can't connect from the car and when attempting to register online, get the "To enroll, the hardware in your vehicle must be upgraded."

Do I need to bring it back to the dealer again, or is there a chance it will start working later? Is there anyway I can "register" it myself since it has the right hardware now? If I bring it back to the dealer, does anyone have a specific reference number or something I can tell them to make sure they do what is required?

That error message is troubling: did they install the correct (3G upgrade) version? If so, they still need to register it properly (you can't do that).
It looks like you need to make another trip...to a different dealer with an (experienced) Leaf tech. Might want to call ahead first.

When I got my update at end of 2016, I remember a 24 or 48 hour delay before it worked. I remember calling the Nissan techs and they confirmed it. At work, I had experience with telecom updates, so it seemed logical. System connected when I checked it the 2nd morning after an afternoon install.

drobtravels said:
Should Carwings connect immediately after the upgrade, or is there a waiting period?

I recently purchased as 2015 Leaf SL and have brought it to the dealer 3x so far for the upgrade, so they're obviously not familiar with how to do this. On Friday they did actually upgrade the hardware, as I can verify via the Unit ID. However, I still can't connect from the car and when attempting to register online, get the "To enroll, the hardware in your vehicle must be upgraded."

Do I need to bring it back to the dealer again, or is there a chance it will start working later? Is there anyway I can "register" it myself since it has the right hardware now? If I bring it back to the dealer, does anyone have a specific reference number or something I can tell them to make sure they do what is required?

There is a Service Bulletin the dealer has access to. It includes all the steps that have to be followed for the upgrade to work. It also provides the correct part number for the Telematics unit, which varies with the production date of the car. The new unit has to be registered with Nissan and SiriusXM, and the numbers off the old unit are also needed during the process. It took Nissan EV Support 8 weeks, working with the dealer, to get mine functional, because the dealer did not follow all the steps during the initial install. This was done in January, when they first became available. Hopefully, things have gotten better since then for fixing botched installs.

All is working now. I went back the dealer, explained that it still didn't connected and they had to register the TCU upgrade with Nissan. They had no idea what I was talking about or trying to do (all 3 service advisors were staring at my paperwork). Eventually they said "lets give the keys to so and so to have him play around". An hour later "We had to give Nissan the new information" :shock: I was immediately able to register with NissanConnect.

I think your right.. I'll have to find a new dealer for any future service.

Does anyone have the formal written notice for this from Nissan Canada? I remember getting a hard copy in the mail, but I have lost it :(...
I am keenly interested in some comments stating that 2015 Leafs would have their TCU replaced FOR FREE ... (I have a Leaf 2015 SV)

The console keeps restarting. Is there a Warranty for TCU upgrade not done properly?

Is there a Warranty for TCU upgrade not done properly?
I have a 2012 Leaf with TCU upgrade done in 2017 with a copay of $199.
The console keeps restarting.
Do you know how long is the warranty for the TCU upgrade and
if the dealer could still fix it for free?

The problem is not with the 12V battery. - I just changed it on January 2021.
All the fuses are good too.

The only thing I could think of is the cables under the glove box
and the dash.

DTC errors:
P31C2 00C1 EV/HEV TCU EVC-273
U1A05 0008 TCU USB Comm AV-199

johnnybegoode said:
Is there a Warranty for TCU upgrade not done properly?
I have a 2012 Leaf with TCU upgrade done in 2017 with a copay of $199.
The console keeps restarting.
Do you know how long is the warranty for the TCU upgrade and
if the dealer could still fix it for free?
Even if there were, I doubt it would still be in effect 3+ years later. I suspect you just have a failed TCU; I would try pulling that fuse and see if it stops the "console restarting".
The bigger problem is we are all going to need a 3G->4G modem upgrade when the carriers start decommissioning their 3G networks next year.

Back