Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Four more sites are open, making 22 for the month and 133 total: Yuma, AZ (Jct. I-8/U.S. 95); Eau Claire, WI (Jct. I-94/U.S. 53); Geneseo, IL (Jct. I-80/S.R. 82); Georgetown, KY (Jct. I-75/U.S. 62, N. of Lexington).

Geneseo is 107 miles from Williamsburg, IA (I-80), 126 from Bloomington, IN (I-80/39 or I-74/80) and 132 miles from Woodridge, IL. Eau Claire is the first site in Wisconsin and Yuma the first in Arizona, meaning there are now EA QCs in 33? states; need to check my paper tally at home to confirm. Eau Claire is 93 miles from Minneapolis but 192 from Green Bay. Tomah and Madison, WI are both 'coming soon', so they will allow travel between the Twin Cities and Chicago. From Yuma you can reach San Diego with great care (172 miles), Phoenix with extreme care (185 miles). Georgetown allows you to reach Cincinnati easily via I-75 from the south, Dayton with some care, and Columbus with great care.

How many EA sites also have an L2? Tacoma Walmart has one. First one I have seen outside EA HQ

With China joining ranks with Chademo, will be interesting to see what additional cars appear with the standard. Would be nice to see 2 terminals with Chademo on electrify America.

DougWantsALeaf said:
With China joining ranks with Chademo, will be interesting to see what additional cars appear with the standard. Would be nice to see 2 terminals with Chademo on electrify America.

No guarantee of anything specific from China at this point. Will guess most will simply go EVGO where the platform is "nondenominational"

As this is essentially the end of the Q1, I thought I'd tally up where the QCs are. [Rev. 3/31/19] EA has 135 open QC sites in 35 states (this is the correct figure (I've edited my previous post after checking). Aside from Alaska and Hawaii, there are 13 contiguous states with no QCs. Three of them, New Mexico (3), Minnesota (1), and New Jersey (1) have 'coming soon' sites listed. The 10 contiguous states with no 'coming soon' sites are Wyoming, North & South Dakota, Alabama, West Virginia, Delaware, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

Here's a list showing number of sites by state(s), in descending order.

# sites: State(s)

12: TX
8: IL, TN
7: FL
6: GA, OR
5: CA, CO
4: ID, IN, KY, KS, MO, NC, NE, NV, OK, PA, WA, VA
3: AR, IA, MA, MT, OH
2: CT, LA, MD, MI, NY
1: AZ, MS, SC, UT, WI

There are no plans to do so with the first cycle - see the map here: https://images.app.goo.gl/xZdLjSqq6YrwSHj26

They are well along with most of the routes shown, but still lack the first X-C route, and will need to infill on those routes that exist in a preliminary state now to make them practical rather than adventures. It would take just two more sites to open that first X-C adventure route, from Florida to the PNW: Frisco, CO, and one in either Crescent Junction or better yet Green River, UT. Two more in Nevada (W. Wendover and Reno or Fernley) would allow access to Northern California, a couple more in Utah would allow access to SoCal, one in Ohio would open up NYC (but another one to three would allow use of I-80 straight across from Chicago to Cleveland).

I have no idea if they plan to expand coverage beyond the routes shown on the map, in Cycle 2 or the subsequent ones, but I-94 and I-90 across the Dakotas and Montana were always going to be the last priority, and should be. I-80 across Wyoming and/or I-40 from Barstow to Flagstaff would presumably be added before that.

Two more sites have opened, making 24 for the month and 135 Total: Portage, MI (I-94, S. of Kalamazoo and E. of U.S. 131); Jackson, TN (Jct. I-40/U.S. 45 Bypass).

Jackson is between Memphis and Nashville, and was much needed to shorten the leg between them from 199 miles to 65.5/135). Portage eliminates much of the detour (to Lansing) between Mishawaka and Detroit, and makes it possible to drive CGO-DET via I-90/94 with two legs of 144 and 141 miles.

I had some time to kill, so revised the end of quarter list uptopic to show the number of sites per state for all states, including the above two.

The first site of the month has opened, which I believe wasn't on the 'Coming Soon' list (there've been a few), #136 total: Asheville, NC (Jct. I-26-I-240/Alt U.S. 74). This is 125 miles from the Nashville QC site via I-40, 138 miles from Commerce, GA via I-26/I-85, 165 miles from Wytheville via I-26 & I-81, and a few other sites can also be reached with extreme care.

Two sites have opened, making 6 for the month and 141 total: (S.) Sacramento, CA (S.R.99); Englewood, CO (Jct. I-25/S.R. 88, S. of Denver). S. Sacramento is presumably to boost capacity, as it's quite close to the existing site in Elk Grove. Englewood is the southern counterpart to Westminster on I-25.

EA has updated their 'Coming Soon' map, and now shows 198 sites in that category. These must include a lot of the Phase 2 sites. Definitely worth a look if you haven't checked for a while, and you want to see if 'your' route(s) will be covered.

GRA said:
EA has updated their 'Coming Soon' map, and now shows 198 sites in that category. These must include a lot of the Phase 2 sites. Definitely worth a look if you haven't checked for a while, and you want to see if 'your' route(s) will be covered.

Why do you say that? Cycle 1 is supposed to include 484 sites in all. It sounds to me like there are still some missing from their map.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:
Why do you say that? Cycle 1 is supposed to include 484 sites in all. It sounds to me like there are still some missing from their map.
There are 300 high-power QC sites in Cycle 1, not 484, and the map has always just shown those. At the time I wrote the above there were 141 open HP QC sites + 198 more 'Coming Soon' = 339 total, so assuming they continue to only show the high-power sites on the 'Coming soon' map, there must be 39 from Cycle 2. The locations of most of the new ones, well away from major metro areas but needed for road trips, seems to confirm that. Of course, they could change their approach now.

Guy,

The EA site at Panera Bread in Bakerfield has the kiosks in but is a long way from finished. The transformer is not in and the trenching is still open. 4 kiosks.

Paul

paulgipe said:
Guy,

The EA site at Panera Bread in Bakerfield has the kiosks in but is a long way from finished. The transformer is not in and the trenching is still open. 4 kiosks.

Paul
Thanks. Given how long ago you reported work at Madera, which still hasn't opened, I suspect permit issues are holding up that and many other CA sites.

A site in Buckeye, AZ (I-10 E. of S.R. 85) has opened, #10 for the month and #145 total.

Back