Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
You can always go buy another LEAF or upgrade your pack for about $8K. Again, this thread is for those that will never buy a Tesla and must find every opportunity to link to troll sites and show how Tesla is terrible and for those that have sold their degrading LEAFs and bought one. The latter group seems very pleased. Oh, and those that do not own an EV but spend endless hours cross-linking articles on EV sites.

Did I mention this thread is the majority of traffic on MNL or should I say MTESLA now?

Nice summary. I'm in the happy to turn in my leaf to get a better car than i ordered camp.

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:
Thanks to a post elsewhere:
"Pricing changed again, AP (single lane) now standard.... SR is a software limited SR+." SR and LR RWD available by calling or via stores.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-our-vehicle-lineup

And leasing of 3 will be available with NO purchase option at end of lease.

Sounds like a robust CPO market is coming! :)

Not according to Tesla. The lease has no buyout option, and the cars are intended for the Tesla Network afterwards. So no CPO sales planned.

EVDRIVER said:
Valdemar said:
SalisburySam said:
Sickening? Really? To me, what is sickening is not the original SR but the original LEAF advertised and sold as a 100-mile vehicle that never was even close. Even more “sickening” is the fact that 7 years later the crap battery is only capable of 35 miles. That’s sickening in a vehicle that in 2012 cost 10% more than today’s SR and more even than the SR+.

That too. The whole EV scene is sickening frankly, but Tesla is in a special league.

Yes the best selling league.

They have to be, they have nothing else to sell.

EVDRIVER said:
lorenfb said:
Great way to run a company; Elon "asleep at the wheel"!

You can always go buy another LEAF

And I did (lease), as indicated in the signature. A much better all around vehicle than the M3 for me.
A 150+ mile range is more than adequate for my present and future needs. And why compromise the
historic reliability the Nissan Leaf has provided for a vehicle known for marginal reliability. Even with
the approximate range loss of about 20% after 5.5 yrs, the Leaf provided a significant savings in
fuel and maintenance costs, besides never having to schedule a vehicle repair.

M3 negatives:

1. Chevy Malibu sedan look (ugly front)
2. Tablet interface
3. Glass roof
4. Paint add-on costs (other than black)
5. Very limited service locations with questionable service promptness
6. Long term questionable corporate viability
7. Ikea blonde teak looking dash, needs some walnut stain
8. No hatchback

Now there's no need to drive any of my ICEVs for any customer visits in the SoCal area, i.e. no more '13 Leaf QCs.

lorenfb said:
EVDRIVER said:
lorenfb said:
Great way to run a company; Elon "asleep at the wheel"!

You can always go buy another LEAF

And I did (lease), as indicated in the signature. A much better all around vehicle than the M3 for me.
A 150+ mile range is more than adequate for my present and future needs. And why compromise the
historic reliability the Nissan Leaf has provided for a vehicle known for marginal reliability. Even with
the approximate range loss of about 20% after 5.5 yrs, the Leaf provided a significant savings in
fuel and maintenance costs, besides never having to schedule a vehicle repair.

M3 negatives:

1. Chevy Malibu sedan look (ugly front)
2. Tablet interface
3. Glass roof
4. Paint add-on costs (other than black)
5. Very limited service locations with questionable service promptness
6. Long term questionable corporate viability
7. Ikea blonde teak looking dash, needs some walnut stain
8. No hatchback

Now there's no need to drive any of my ICEVs for any customer visits in the SoCal area, i.e. no more '13 Leaf QCs.

Your concerns are in the minority and since you don't take long trips your utility of a long-range EV is moot. I assume you don't drive any distance.

EVDRIVER said:
Did I mention this thread is the majority of traffic on MNL or should I say MTESLA now?

Yes, I've noticed that a majority of traffic is Tesla fanboys telling LEAF drivers and potential drivers just how great Tesla is (don't mind Musk's tweets) and how horrible Nissan is, and how horrible the LEAF is.

My LEAF is just about to pass 50k miles, is past 5 years, has all 12 capacity bars, and has given me basically no trouble...

WetEV said:
EVDRIVER said:

Yes, I've noticed that a majority of traffic is Tesla fanboys telling LEAF drivers and potential drivers just how great Tesla is (don't mind Musk's tweets) and how horrible Nissan is, and how horrible the LEAF is.

My LEAF is just about to pass 50k miles, is past 5 years, has all 12 capacity bars, and has given me basically no trouble...

At least Tesla has fanboys, I think Nissan has 20? If it's all Tesla fanboys then who are they conversing with? Look at the view count on the two Tesla threads. Regardless they are ex LEAF owners and now Tesla owners or they own both. Go to TMC if you want to see thousands of Tesla fans. Nissan is pretty horrible as a company since they have repeatedly and intentionally lied to LEAF owners and don't stand behind their product and it seems they have some management issues as well. Yes many people do like to talk about how great a Tesla is because they really like their cars for many reasons. I liked my LEAF but I would never buy another Nissan product ever again nor any EV without the safety, utility, performance, features, range, charging network, pack life and fun that the M3 has.

EVDRIVER said:
What drops out of the sky in your area? Other than my windshield nothing ever hits the roof or back window of my cars. Sure must be something large to damage glass. Most reputable insurance companies cover glass with no rate increase but I doubt the roof of a car is a concern. How many silly excuses can you come up with as to why you won’t buy one? If the roof was metal would it be that you don’t want to pay for AP hardware because you won’t use it? You and Loren should come up with a 100 reasons I won’t buy a Tesla spreadsheet. Non-buyers would find it useful.
Tell the bolded part to the guy at my work (I don't know him, but he mentioned it in Slack) who had both the cracked roof and some clear damage due to debris, so Tesla wouldn't cover it.

This guy looks like he had debris damage: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/omg-my-roof-window-has-a-crack.121199/. The guy at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/fixing-rock-chips-in-glass-roof.139656/ claims "Tesla service said they are replacing rock-chipped glass roof panels every week on Model 3's."

As for insurance, no, I'm not necessarily saying they'll raise insurance for you/a single customer specifically. But, if it becomes a problem, that company or most or all of them will in general have higher rates on the 3 due to amount and frequency of claims.

FWIW, I probably wouldn't have gotten a 3 with "autopilot" enabled. Not worth thousands of dollars to me for a buggy system that might result in me sustaining thousands of dollars of damage.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:
Thanks to a post elsewhere:
"Pricing changed again, AP (single lane) now standard.... SR is a software limited SR+." SR and LR RWD available by calling or via stores.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-our-vehicle-lineup

And leasing of 3 will be available with NO purchase option at end of lease.

Not according to Tesla. The lease has no buyout option, and the cars are intended for the Tesla Network afterwards. So no CPO sales planned.
The no purchase option at the lease end is unusual. But, for the using for their rideshare network... considering how much Tesla keeps changing their mind, I wouldn't be surprised if that's not totally true by lease end. We'll see.

WetEV said:

This whole collection of OT posts on "how bad/great is Tesla/LEAF" should maybe be moved out of the 3 thread and somewhere else.

My take:

I drove my LEAF for 4 1/2 years and loved it all the time. It was a great commuter car (and still is, because the person I sold it to works at my same company and I see it a few times a week). It is a great EV with several really annoying shortcomings. The problems with the traction battery in some climates is the worst of these. Nissan's current approach to the LEAF continues to make it not the only car to own if you want to go all-in on being EV-only.

I wanted to go all-in on being EV-only. It took a lot of convincing to make my wife give up her CRV, but she eventually did.

I'm also maybe in a different place then many people. I could outright buy a Tesla if I wanted to. In 2014 I choose the LEAF over the S because I wasn't ready to pay that much (and because my wife really hated the older seats in the S). Many people I've talked to I've steered to a LEAF as a 2nd (commuter) car because buying a Tesla (and having huge car payments) would be a mistake for them.

Tesla cars are pretty amazing -- but that's not to say they are perfect. If anything, they are a mixed bag. They have some quirks (the dash on the 3), terrible design choices (falcon wing doors), but overall they are a great piece of engineering. As a company they do seem at times to lack good direction and guidance. Musk at times certainly doesn't make it easier to like them.

I feel the attitude here on MNL is lots of people who want to find fault in what Tesla has accomplished. It almost seems to me that the attitude is "I can't afford it, so I have to say how horrible it is", but it seems to transcend even that. All the FUD is incredible ("they'll be bankrupt"; "no demand"; etc).

cwerdna said:
EVDRIVER said:
What drops out of the sky in your area? Other than my windshield nothing ever hits the roof or back window of my cars. Sure must be something large to damage glass. Most reputable insurance companies cover glass with no rate increase but I doubt the roof of a car is a concern. How many silly excuses can you come up with as to why you won’t buy one? If the roof was metal would it be that you don’t want to pay for AP hardware because you won’t use it? You and Loren should come up with a 100 reasons I won’t buy a Tesla spreadsheet. Non-buyers would find it useful.
Tell the bolded part to the guy at my work (I don't know him, but he mentioned it in Slack) who had both the cracked roof and some clear damage due to debris, so Tesla wouldn't cover it.

This guy looks like he had debris damage: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/omg-my-roof-window-has-a-crack.121199/. The guy at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/fixing-rock-chips-in-glass-roof.139656/ claims "Tesla service said they are replacing rock-chipped glass roof panels every week on Model 3's."

As for insurance, no, I'm not necessarily saying they'll raise insurance for you/a single customer specifically. But, if it becomes a problem, that company or most or all of them will in general have higher rates on the 3 due to amount and frequency of claims.

FWIW, I probably wouldn't have gotten a 3 with "autopilot" enabled. Not worth thousands of dollars to me for a buggy system that might result in me sustaining thousands of dollars of damage.

So one person and another that "claims" something that is likely windshields not roofs since that is common. Where are all the damaged sunroofs out there? Again, there are all sorts of road hazards in different conditions bit I don't see this as a big issue. A roof respray costs more than a glass panel and takes more time. Regardless there are more important things to worry about since **** happens on any car with aerodynamic lines and the internet is full of exceptions. Lots of Tesla's are broken into so should I not buy one? Guess what, so are other cars and in even higher frequency. How do some here even enjoy life or pull the trigger on a purchase without endless analysis and "it's not perfect" rationale. What car has a force field and meets every nit picky need? You could make a mint selling roof protector/sun shields for the M3....

OrientExpress said:
EVDRIVER said:

Lemmings instinct is to follow their peers.

Says the sheep as they follow Nissan over the lithium cliffs:) I'm sure things will bounce with the LR LEAF that is going to arrive tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Or was that the infinity that was launching years ago? I'll tweet Carlos and ask, they don't monitor his tweets do they?

By the way, the lemmings are former LEAF owners they just went over to places like TMC.

EVDRIVER said:
OrientExpress said:
EVDRIVER said:

Lemmings instinct is to follow their peers.

Says the sheep as they follow Nissan over the lithium cliffs:) I'm sure things will bounce with the LR LEAF that is going to arrive tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Or was that the infinity that was launching years ago? I'll tweet Carlos and ask, they don't monitor his tweets do they?

By the way, the lemmings are former LEAF owners they just went over to places like TMC.

When Nissan gets their act together after 8 plus years I may reconsider but I'm not holding my breath based on history.

I have no big issues with the mediocre reliability of Tesla cars, especially given I have a service center 5 minutes from my home. I, however, don't want a pile of beautiful scrap to occupy my garage space for more than a couple of weeks and otherwise lose its resale value in case they go under and my car fails. Now that a lease option is available driving a 3 might be a less risky endeavor.

Anyone knows if the 35k model, if it's still a thing, can be leased?

Valdemar said:
I have no big issues with the mediocre reliability of Tesla cars, especially given I have a service center 5 minutes from my home. I, however, don't want a pile of beautiful scrap to occupy my garage space for more than a couple of weeks and otherwise lose its resale value in case they go under and my car fails. Now that a lease option is available driving a 3 might be a less risky endeavor.

Anyone knows if the 35k model, if it's still a thing, can be leased?

A dealer would and likely the best place for an accurate answer.

cwerdna said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

The no purchase option at the lease end is unusual. But, for the using for their rideshare network... considering how much Tesla keeps changing their mind, I wouldn't be surprised if that's not totally true by lease end. We'll see.

Wow the confidence in a 3 year forward statement by Tesla is ahh??? Refreshing! :p

Back