Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at least on the east coast. All the Nissan dealers level 3 charges are broken in one way or another (Some now over a year) and there is only a vague ideas on when they will get fixed. From the looks of it, I'd say that Nissan has been screwed by Sumitomo who seems to have totally failed in making reliable charges and along with AeroVironment completely botched being able to service them.

I've never really fond much use for the Level 2 charges as it takes to long but the Level 3 charges were most helpful in extending the range of my Leaf. Hopefully, Nissan will wake up to the problem and get a fix, or at least, sue till they get some of their money back. Ultimately Nissan needs to either develop their own L3 charger or buy a company that makes them so they can control what is going on. Hundered of thousands spent on installing these things and look now.

Also, they need to get them out of the dealers. These Bozo's are for the most part either clueless and even hostile to EV. Take a page from Tesla and install your own branded charges in stand-alone locations!

Check Plug Share. Most L3 around town are working. I have personally used the DCQC at Auto Nation Miami, Auto Nation Kendall and Pinecrest Gardens.

I did check PlugShare, Auto Nation Miami: Down, Auto Nation Kendall: Down and Pinecrest Gardens: Down. Didn't have my phone yesterday so didn't have the luxury of using a 3rd party app to check if Auto Nation Kendall and Pinecrest were down. They are.... Like I said earlier they are all down now.

Plus Auto Nation Miami charges $5 and the charger is in a bad location that the sales people like to smoke close to. Nissan Corp has really dropped the ball on level 3 Charging. The dealers here don't want to deal with it and the charges are unreliable and apparently not easy to repair. I believe that Nissan is a committed to EV's but they need to get their act straight with the dealers and charging. If I was a new EV driver that was looking forward to L3 Charging and had to deal with all the screwed up charges here in SL FLA it would be a very disappointing experience. Especially if I got one of the lower models and paid to get the QC.

Has anyone in Florida upgraded their TCU Unit yet?
If you have a 2011 to 2015 Leaf with a NAV system you should have received a letter telling you NissanConnect EV will stop working on Jan 1st when ATT turns off thier G2 Network. I found the part number on this forum and got Bill Seidle to order the part. Just in time since the G2 network is already offline here in Miami. No more app control or emails from my LEAF until I get the G3 unit installed!

Yes, I had the TCU upgrade from 2G to 3G done a month ago at West Palm Beach Nissan. It was their first upgrade and they had significant problems with it. Instead of the 2 hours that Nissan advised it would take in the letter to LEAF owners, it took 3 days because they had to order a part. Since the dashboard was disassembled, they had to keep the car. However, they were nice enough to provide a nice loaner (an ICE vehicle, but a nice one).

Is the tread still alive? I'd love to meet other Leaf owners in the Miami - Ft Lauderdale area and discuss the car. It's my first EV car...

I just purchased my Leaf last year. I live in Jupiter and the longest drive we have taken was to Delray Nissan for one year service. A South Florida Nissan Leaf Group would be cool.

I was an early LEAF owner (lease) and was active here along with lots of other early adopters. The problem with LEAFs in Florida is the warm weather nearly year round destroys the batteries because they lack thermal management. A few folks moved on to Chevy volts as a stopgap or (like me) gave up and went back to gas cars for time being, but most went on to become Tesla owners and near as I can tell are all pretty happy.
Sorry to hear you purchased instead of leased. Hopefully it works out better for you than it did for those who came before you.

Congrats on your new Leaf! I too purchased a Leaf (back in Dec 2011) and drove it for 7 years in the South Florida heat and humidity before moving up to a M3.

There is now a good market for used EV's so bravo on your purchase. The Leaf will give you years of reliable driving pleasure. The new Leaf battery does not have issues with battery degradation. And Nissan will replace them for free if they degrade too much.

My wife and I retired three years ago and we try to stretch our income. Our Kia Sportage (7 years old) was costing us over $112 a month, between fuel and repairs. We knew we did not want to keep up the constant repair routine that was steadily increasing. We watched Jay Leno's Garage and when he purchased a 1909 Baker Electric Car and declared it to be the only maintenance free vehicle in his garage, we became extremely interested in Electric to replace our old gas automobile. 11 April our yearly service came due. HGreg Nissan in Delray Florida completed the service and presented me with the bill. $0 that was what it cost me. There were no up charges most have come to expect from a dealership. We really love the Leaf. I drove professionally for 12 years and have never loved a car. In 67 years I have Liked a few, but, never loved. This is by far the finest vehicle we have ever owned.

Just cruisin static around Orlando here, be nice to see a few other modded Leaf's around. I attend Ace Cafe meets and some other local cars shows. Hit me if anyone knows of some other local meets within 50 miles lol (range anxiety kinda sucks)

Back