Sirius XM

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello good folks,

I’ve have my Leaf nearly 3 months now, so the sales people at Sirius XM have started bugging me.

Is there any benefit to Sirius XM, besides the stations they provide? I don’t really need Fox News or Howard Stern or Tom Petty’s personal record collection DJ’d, as cool as that kind of is.

Does the Sirius XM connection provide for some car functionality that I might want? Will the EV Connect app still work on my iphone if I ditch the $20.99/month crazy stooped fee for Sirius XM?

Thanks, K

forcedexposure said:
Does the Sirius XM connection provide for some car functionality that I might want?

Traffic display on the car's nav system. Maybe useful to someone. Not if you use Google Maps or Waze or almost never see any real congestion...

forcedexposure said:
Will the EV Connect app still work on my iphone if I ditch the $20.99/month crazy stooped fee for Sirius XM?

Yes.

Thanks, K[/quote]

IF you refuse all sales pitches, and want just music, you can usually get a much better one year or so subscription price. They are crooks, though: do NOT give them a credit card number. Insist on being billed, if you want to keep the service.

LeftieBiker said:
IF you refuse all sales pitches, and want just music, you can usually get a much better one year or so subscription price.
There's a long-running thread over at TiVo Community about getting a deal on XM. I can start one here, if there isn't one already.

In the past, you could usually swing 5 months for $25 or so + fees for XM Select. And, they often also offer $99 for 12 months + fees.

The full price of Sirius XM is nutty and NOT worth it for the sound quality. At $5 to $6/mo, it's ok for me. You however have to set a calendar reminder for yourself to call to cancel or call to try to get the same deal again before they auto-renew you into the lousy full price. If they won't budge, cancel and walk away until they come back. I've never had to do the latter, yet.

You may as well put that sub-thread here. I've found that offering a good enough price is their last step, after you have made it clear that you are canceling because of the price. Although...they may remember and note past negotiations. When my trial period was up in August, they mailed me the usual offer, then, about two weeks later, with no response from me, sent me another offer in the mail: something like 15 months of music only for maybe...$120? No, I think it was about $140 plus extra fees. Anyway, it worked out to about $9 a month, so I took it. When this one runs out, I may just use Bluetooth Audio and my Google Play subscription.

LeftieBiker said:
You may as well put that sub-thread here. I've found that offering a good enough price is their last step, after you have made it clear that you are canceling because of the price. Although...they may remember and note past negotiations.
I've been doing the ~$5/mo before fees for 5 or 6 months then calling to get the same/similar deal over and over for years. Many other folks at TCF have done the same.

However, in my most recent post on TCF last Wednesday, I wrote:
The XM Select sub on my Leaf about to expire. I was getting 5 months for $25 before tax/fees.

Today I called and they seem to be doing $5.60/mo for 5 months + tax/fees and I had some credit (which I had applied) due to some previous snafu that I don't recall.

I didn't want to cancel or battle over that so I went with it. I wonder if $5.60/mo is now the new normal.
I wasn't planning to battle it out since I hope to no longer have my Leaf in 5 months anyway. They said if I canceled earlier, I could get credit back/refund. I was wanting to get that credit just added to my Bolt's subscription but they can't do that, only can do the former.

Back