I've changed my cabin filter and it was...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my corolla I usually buy them for like $2.30 each, for the leaf like $4 a piece, the filter isn't totally neccesary but i do change it every year, why? It keeps the system inside clean, it prevents big pieces from getting caught in the fan, and the good filters do remove odors, so while the car wont stop working I find it neccesary to change it at least once a year.

This has to be one of the most entertaining threads I've read in a LONG time!

Ironically, those that never change their filters are getting BETTER filtration, for obvious reasons. Assuming air flow isn't horribly compromised, a used filter filters out more particles. Once the filter is full, though, I believe the fan motor would be compromised and would have to work harder, as I don't think there's a "bypass" for the air flow.

However, for those with sensitive noses, and anywhere but in desert areas, the odor of a 2+ year old filter is noticeable, and very unpleasant. All the organic matter in the filter, when humidity is high, can really come alive and create all sorts of bizarre fragrances.

YMMV...in desert areas, there's little or no organic matter, only dust and other very dry particles, probably very little odor of any kind.

Thanks for the entertaining read!

gncndad said:
This has to be one of the most entertaining threads I've read in a LONG time!

However, for those with sensitive noses, and anywhere but in desert areas, the odor of a 2+ year old filter is noticeable, and very unpleasant. All the organic matter in the filter, when humidity is high, can really come alive and create all sorts of bizarre fragrances.

YMMV...in desert areas, there's little or no organic matter, only dust and other very dry particles, probably very little odor of any kind.

Thanks for the entertaining read!
Glad we could entertain you :lol:
I showed my daughter the Russian youtube video and while she also got a kick out of it, she thought our '12 Leaf(which she mostly drives) could use a filter change :( She said it kind of smells musty when using the HVAC, most noticeably the A/C. Now I've smelt it before in the summer(as I have on some other vehicles when it's humid out and I just assumed the evaporator coil(cold coil mounted inside of the dash) was full of moisture/water) but I always chalked it more up to just that, mold or mildew living on the wet evaporator coil and not necessarily the filter itself. People in the desert area probably don't experience condensate as much as us in more humid climates but it's always amazed me we don't have more of a problem with moldy evaporators. As the evaporator is deep inside the HVAC ducts, access is all but buried and no real way to clean it. I did see an episode of Motorweek where Pat Gauss mentioned using some sort of fogging method to spray from an aerosol can into the fresh air intake of the vehicle and it would presumably kill the mold/mildew and help eliminate the odor. Apparently, the best way to clean the evaporator coil is to dismantle the dash and HVAC system and spray the coil with bleach water and then fresh water but that method can cost hundreds if not more dollars, all due to accessing the buried coil :(
I guess in the case of my '12 I just might try one of those charcoal/fabreeze filters Leftie spoke about. If/when this happens I'll report back just how hard it was to do, whether the filter was actually dirty and where I was able to find the filter and cost. Looking at the OPs video it's not really a job I'm looking forward to but I'm probably too cheap to actually pay to have it done :oops:

Years ago, on the old Volvo newsgroup, I came up with a recipe for treating evaporator mold harmlessly and easily. Let me check...nope, can't find it. Basically, you mix vodka with vinegar - preferably apple cider vinegar, as it smells better. Then you put the mix in a spray bottle, and carefully - avoiding painted surfaces - spray it into both the fresh air intake above the hood, and , with recirculate engaged, into the little recirculate intake duct under the dash. No disassembly needed, no toxic chemicals like ammonia or bleach, and it smells...odd, but not Bad. Avoid DWI checks for a few days after applying. ;)

jjeff said:
... I did see an episode of Motorweek where Pat Gauss mentioned using some sort of fogging method to spray from an aerosol can into the fresh air intake of the vehicle and it would presumably kill the mold/mildew and help eliminate the odor...

One of the professional products is "Frigi-Fresh". The cheaper "poor-man's" fix is to spray a full can of regular Lysol into the intake while the AC is in operation (not in recirculate mode). Stop the system when the lysol runs out to allow the coils to stay wet with the solution and then let the car sit overnight. The downside is it takes awhile for the Lysol smell to dissipate.

For prevention, make a habit to turn off the AC when a few minutes from your destination, and turn the fan up. This will help dry the evaporator coil so that mold growth is not promoted.

The Lysol method is probably more effective, but Lysol is nasty, toxic sh*t that very likely would not be approved for consumer use if it were a new product now. If you do use it, make sure to thoroughly ventilate the car, with blower running and all windows wide open, afterward.

If you read my previous post, I said that you do not HAVE to change the air filter. And I also said that if you really want to do it, then go for it.... Much like AIR FRESHENERS.... I just don't want a new person to cars to feel compelled to go to the Dealers and be "taken" for $200-300 for the air filter replacement.

Some people live buying and replacing air fresheners in the house and car. I have never found a need to use air fresheners daily..

So you folks that enjoy bashing those who have a black/ white opinion... Stop it... OH... Yes. I did not make a "racist" statement. So don't even try....

Yes this was a fun thread to read.
And I felt inspired to replace my cabin filter on my 2016 SV.

This was my first time replacing the cabin filter and It was quite easy. I followed the advise of removing the glove compartment completely. That was definitely the key for me. I don't think I could do it again without it removed - not enough room for my work.

I've always just vacuumed them out from the "dirty" side; and maybe blown them out from the "clean" side with compressed air. I've never noticed a moldy smell, but :shrug: . But with the Leaf, I bought the cabin filter on the way in to my 1-year service, changed it in the parking lot at the dealer, and left the box on the seat with a note that I didn't need or want a cabin filter change. Just in case they were going to get excited about the $80.

LeafTaxi said:
I've always just vacuumed them out from the "dirty" side; and maybe blown them out from the "clean" side with compressed air. I've never noticed a moldy smell, but :shrug: . But with the Leaf, I bought the cabin filter on the way in to my 1-year service, changed it in the parking lot at the dealer, and left the box on the seat with a note that I didn't need or want a cabin filter change. Just in case they were going to get excited about the $80.

I wash and rinse mine out, then let it air dry. They haven't changed from year to year so I literally have a total investment of $27 over 4 LEAFs. I had one, rotated it in and out a few times and then lost track of it so bought another one at a better price. (first one was $16, the 2nd one only $11) So naturally a few weeks after getting the 2nd one, I found the first one so I have a few ready to roll.

I do replace my filters twice a year due to very high pollen issues. Nature is a bit overwhelming here sometimes getting a bit too close for comfort.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/d8siWQaMRtu9Ntju-EoXaw.A2xb5vc7g0y7nwSEg1yvD7

I did not hear the branch fall but I did feel it. The epicenter was approximately 25 feet NW of my bed...

LeftieBiker said:
I'm confused, Dave. You replace your cabin filter twice a year, AND wash and reuse it? Or you wash it twice a year and never replace it with a new one?

I have 3 that I use on rotation and change filters in April (March 22nd this year because we were in ummm... "Indian Spring?") and just before the rainy season.

TBT; I have checked mine and they get visually dirty in just a few weeks. But will say that if you change the filter on a regular basis;

*You will break that stupid clip

* You will get rather good at changing it. With a power screwdriver, its really a 10 minute job.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
I'm confused, Dave. You replace your cabin filter twice a year, AND wash and reuse it? Or you wash it twice a year and never replace it with a new one?

I have 3 that I use on rotation and change filters in April (March 22nd this year because we were in ummm... "Indian Spring?") and just before the rainy season.

TBT; I have checked mine and they get visually dirty in just a few weeks. But will say that if you change the filter on a regular basis;

*You will break that stupid clip

* You will get rather good at changing it. With a power screwdriver, its really a 10 minute job.

I'd look for a washable foam filter - or make one. Paper isn't meant for that kind of use.

I doubt that K&N will ever make a filter for the Leaf because the filter must be compressed to get it in or out of the housing. K&N filters typically have high-quality rigid rubber-covered edges. The original Nissan filters for the Leaf are made of a flexible material that is more like fiberglass or plastic than paper so it may not hurt to rinse, dry, and reuse them a few times.

GerryAZ said:
I doubt that K&N will ever make a filter for the Leaf because the filter must be compressed to get it in or out of the housing. K&N filters typically have high-quality rigid rubber-covered edges. The original Nissan filters for the Leaf are made of a flexible material that is more like fiberglass or plastic than paper so it may not hurt to rinse, dry, and reuse them a few times.

I had minimal concerns over washing and reusing my filters. They are made of a material that reminds me of Tyvek. This is VERY strong, lightweight and used in houses to provide a good one way moisture barrier to allow the house to breathe but remains waterproof. It is quite the remarkable stuff.

Back