Well new mexico governor decided to make electricity unaffordable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
SageBrush said:
smkettner said:
Affordable? So what has been the rate increase so far? 20% 50%?
Ignore oil-y's nonsense. PNM makes it very clear on its bill that the sourced clean energy is 20% cheaper than the mix of fossils. And that is true even before we account for the benefits of reduced pollution.
Yes. As they say the proof is in the pudding.
Until there is a rate increase proposed there is really nothing to talk about.

In fact, the PNM IRP (which is remarkably similar to the NM legislation) outlines SAVINGS from the transition to clean energy.
As if avoiding the worst of AGW is not reason enough.

Most of what is being written is quite polite enough. A few posts, though, are unnecessarily snarky. A good argument, with good supporting data, doesn't need that. In fact, a bad attitude can undermine a great argument...

LeftieBiker said:
Most of what is being written is quite polite enough. A few posts, though, are unnecessarily snarky. A good argument, with good supporting data, doesn't need that. In fact, a bad attitude can undermine a great argument...
How about politely written BS ?

Pick your poison.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

Pick your poison.

Politely written BS is allowed, mainly because it isn't always intentional. I suggest the user filter for that. Click on the user's name, and then "add foe."

LeftieBiker said:
SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

Pick your poison.

Politely written BS is allowed, mainly because it isn't always intentional. I suggest the user filter for that. Click on the user's name, and then "add foe."
I don't answer for the joy of responding to a BS'er, but so that others know, or at least might consider, that it is BS. I realize that a polite, referenced, fully explained rebuttal in 6th grade English is the best possible rejoinder but the internet is flooded with Trumpers and wack-a-mole is doomed to failure.

I think that WetEV probably has the best approach (that I intend to emulate): politely demand references to back up the opinions and statements or call them out as BS.

WetEV said:
Oilpan4 said:
WetEV said:
Source.
Or just admit you were BS'ing.
My source is I can see the Roosevelt wind farm from my house. At least 3 our of 4 mornings at sun up most of to none the wind turbines are not turning at all.
How are they producing power at sun up when they aren't moving?

That graph doesn't count wind turbines that are in shutdown mode as "capacity".
Most of them go into shutdown mode at night.
I was looking at actual power generation.
Not bean counter capacity factor number fluffing.

Notice that your observation doesn't even support what you claimed above. Sunrise isn't the same thing as night.

3 days looking out the window once a day at one location in the USA isn't data. Three days of wind power generation from California:

04/14/2019 to 04/16/2019

http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/supply.aspx

Scroll down to the renewables graph. Select only wind. Change the date to the above three dates.

04/17/2019

Shows the wind falling off after sunrise, then a brief peak in evening, then quiet.

80% power is feasible, but probably will take until 2040 to get there with reasonable costs. 100% isn't feasible at a reasonable cost yet.

Going to back up your words, or eat them?

I figured a lot of this renewable energy stuff would be paid for by the states 1.2 billion dollar surplus. Nope.

Trujillo, D-Santa Fe, said “We already spent the surplus,” to reporters on Thursday.

They probably could have nearly doubled the states wind capacity with that much money, if it can be done for closer to $1 per watt. Typically price being between $1 and $2 per watt.

http://nmpoliticalreport.com/2019/03/14/senate-panel-pares-back-proposed-tax-increases/

If any thing this demonstrates how infrequent wind power is. If it averages 50% utilization and clearly the wind does not blow late at night or early morning rather often then how is wind supposed to cover base load reliably?
This is one of the renewable traps, relying on averages and assuming that all will be well.

I will admit I don't blindly rely on green washed, 3rd or 4th hand information like everyone else.

Oilpan4 said:
If it averages 50% utilization and clearly the wind does not blow late at night or early morning
Would you like to support your statements with data ?

I will admit I don't blindly rely on green washed, 3rd or 4th hand information like everyone else.
No ... you think you are an expert based on a couple mornings of a few seconds observation of a few windmills near your home.

Look at the graph below. Once again, this is the *entire* ERCOT wind system.
If you think this data is green washed, or 3rd or 4rth hand information, try to prove it. The raw data file from ERCOT is linked above in this thread. Feel free to analyze it yourself, it only takes a minute.

When does the wind stop blowing ?
When is the nadir ?
Is there more wind at night or during the day ?

uc

Oilpan4 said:
http://nmpoliticalreport.com/2019/03/14/senate-panel-pares-back-proposed-tax-increases/

If any thing this demonstrates how infrequent wind power is.
Did you post the wrong link? That doesn't discuss wind power at all.

Oilpan4 said:

So I just came into this thread and read it all.

Oilpan, I know you feel like the push towards renewables is super expensive and hurts the people of NM. However, look at the data from the utilities that others have posted. Everyone talking to you has cited facts, sources, and raw data when making assertions. The raw data does not support the arguments you're making. Instead of providing data to support your position, you have posted anecdotal evidence (I see 4 turbines idle outside my window) and the appeal to authority fallacy ("I worked on these, I know what I'm talking about"). Consider the possibility you may be wrong.

SageBrush said:
I realize that a polite, referenced, fully explained rebuttal in 6th grade English is the best possible rejoinder but the internet is flooded with Trumpers and wack-a-mole is doomed to failure.

Not all Trumpers are idiots, bigots, or racists (Note: I'm not saying you stated any of them were the last two, but it's a common argument made). There are valid reasons for supporting Trump. Your arguments (prior to the insults) are well written and backed up by data. Most people will be intelligent enough to read this thread and grow their understanding of the cost and viability of renewables. Insulting people will only end discussion and further divide all of us.

Free speech does work--it is not doomed to failure, but arguments do take a while to change people's minds.

So which one of you is the trump supporter?
I must have missed that post.

I will indulge the fantasy that wind can cover base load or even if wind isn't stabile enough that grid batteries become cheap enough in 10 years to fill the gaps.

In 2016 NM generated about 11% of its electricity with about 1,110mw of installed wind capacity. It's on Wikipedia.
Up until 2014 wind generation in new mexico was being installed actually quite cheaply. Towards the low end of the range, $1 per watt of capacity. Because wind farms like the house and Caprock project were put right next to existing transmission lines so their transmission line budget was almost $0.
You can see it on Google earth.
What happened after 2014, I don't know I haven't watched it as closely.
So it's safe to say they will cost some where between 1 and 2 dollars per watt of capacity, search that pretty much any where.

If we look at a really big year for federal green energy spending, say 2010 with 15 billion in direct spending, credits, tax breaks. We will say the Fed breaks that down to the states roughly by population, then new mexico might get around 100 million dollars a year since New mexico has about 0.63% of the US population.
So the Fed isn't going to pay for much of it.
Federal dollars might be able to double existing NM wind capacity by 2030 if green energy spending is ramped back up to 2010 levels, stays at that level and is given to the states.
The new mexico population is only 2.1 million people. The per capita income is only around $17,000. The tax base to pay for a few billion dollars worth of wind turbines just isn't here.

So, how do these wind turbines get paid for?

Mostly sure the wind turbines will create electricity at lower cost than coal. Your rate can stay level until the cap ex is covered. That is what pays for the new energy.

I have already said that construction of wind power assets does not appear to increase rates in most markets.
This will be like a wind power explosion, not a gradual change over.

Oilpan4 said:
I have already said that construction of wind power assets does not appear to increase rates in most markets.
This will be like a wind power explosion, not a gradual change over.
Yes once the alternative is the low cost supply the transition can be very fast.

We are not just paying for wind turbines and solar panels.
I posted an article showing electrical customers will also be on the hook to pay back investors for early closing of the coal fired power plant up in Farmington.
No one seems to have any idea how much that will cost.

Oilpan4 said:
We are not just paying for wind turbines and solar panels.
I posted an article showing electrical customers will also be on the hook to pay back investors for early closing of the coal fired power plant up in Farmington.
No one seems to have any idea how much that will cost.

I agree that costs to close coal-fired plants should not come from the pockets of consumers. That doesn't mean that the plants should stay open, because the environmental costs involved in that case are paid by everyone in the region (and often beyond it).

Back