How to sell a 2018 LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have had my 2018 LEAF SV for a few months and love a lot about it. Range anxiety, coupled with some longer trips I now have to take regularly, leads me to looking into something with more range (LEAF Plus or Model 3).

What is the best way to sell an electric car? Same as ICE? These are what I'm considering. Please let me know if you have any other approaches or tips.

Craigslist
eBay
Nissan Dealership
CarMax (I think this is likely the lowest valued option)

eplus said:
I

What is the best way to sell an electric car? Same as ICE? These are what I'm considering. Please let me know if you have any other approaches or tips.

Craigslist
eBay
Nissan Dealership

Carvana, auto trader, cars.com also might work.

The nice thing about a dealer or something like carvana is that they'll be able to roll any negative equity into your new loan if u need to do so. The downside is they'll give you trade in value which is usually lower than what you could sell it for and the interest rate might be higher than a credit union would give.

I haven't seen any leaf plus on carvana yet but there are definitely some Tesla model 3.

I’m in the same boat you and I would really like the extra range and better battery temperature management of the Leaf Plus. But be careful trying to get a Leaf Plus right now, I have already tried a couple of times and I was really turned off by the lease money factor Nissan is asking for the Plus, this experience has made me realize what a really great deal I got on my 2018 SL.

Nissan is a lot more interested in trying to sell the 3,000 40 kWh Leafs they’ve got sitting on dealer lots than in pushing the Plus. You might want to wait a while until Nissan starts really trying to sell the Plus. A little patience will probably pay us big dividends.

eplus said:
What is the best way to sell an electric car? Same as ICE?
I have no experience with them at all, but here in the US there's an outfit that Martyn Lee's podcasts advertise as offering an online resource specifically for buying/selling EVs that you could look at: myEV.com . Claims to be what you're interested in, at least.

It depends on where you live, but so far I have been able to trade in two Leafs for slightly more than I paid for them, after taking the federal tax credit into account. Different dealerships will give you vastly different quotes for a trade-in value, so you have to shop around. But, some can be quite motivated to sell the Plus versions, so if there are plenty in your area who will give you more if you are also buying a new (and more expensive) car from them. In most places, you also get to subtract the trade-in value of your old car from the price of the new car when calculating sales tax, which can cover the price difference between selling privately and trading it in.

Re: CL, from https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/posting_fees:
"Cars/trucks by-owner in the US—$5 (starting April 15)"

More info at https://www.craigslist.org/about/cto.

I don't have solid tips but for me trying to sell my 11 bar 5/2013 built '13 Leaf SV w/premium package but no CHAdeMO and at the time about 63.5K miles...
eplus said:
Craigslist
eBay
Nissan Dealership
Nissan dealership was the WORST for my car. Two didn't want it. Another gave an incredibly low value and made a bunch of "mistakes" in the process. I can point to the story later.

I found out about AutoNation buying used cars by submitting request for quote online via https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a15102536/sell-your-car-the-modern-way-we-put-seven-services-to-the-test-feature/. They also gave me a joke of an offer: $3,552.

Carmax offered me $5K, which is basically the highest, so far. Shift offered me $5K and Vroom offered me $4K.

I wouldn't be optimistic about eBay Motors. I suspect many sales fall thru.
Astros said:
In most places, you also get to subtract the trade-in value of your old car from the price of the new car when calculating sales tax, which can cover the price difference between selling privately and trading it in.
We don't know where the OP is. California does NOT allow for that. I'd never even heard of this until I moved to WA (lived there for 9 years).

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html under "Trade-in sales tax credit?" lists which states allow for that.
TexasLeaf said:
better battery temperature management of the Leaf Plus.
???

Source? The battery still is "air cooled" w/passive cooling and inside a sealed box, AFAIK.

Trade it in on at the Chevy dealer for a Bolt. Otherwise put a sign in the window with your number and advertise as listed above.

Be realistic on price or it will be yours for a long time.

TexasLeaf wrote:

Cwerdna wrote:
???

Source? The battery still is "air cooled" w/passive cooling and inside a sealed box, AFAIK.

I think he means that the larger pack can charge longer at lower temps, so Nissan can restrict charging rates at higher temps...Not my definition, either.

Astro: I live in Seattle also. I have sent you a PM with some questions regarding local dealerships.

LeftieBiker said:
TexasLeaf wrote:

Cwerdna wrote:
???

I think he means that the larger pack can charge longer at lower temps, so Nissan can restrict charging rates at higher temps...Not my definition, either.

No, that’s not what I meant at all. I read an article on an interview with a Leaf designer. The designer said the Leaf Plus battery is wired differently so that the wiring generates less resistance and only creates a third of the waste heat that the 40 kWh battery generates.

I’m still skeptical. I still haven’t seen any long distance tests of the Leaf Plus with multiple fast charges. I did see one video of test drive in Japan where battery temperature barely increased after a long drive and a subsequent fast charge.

TexasLeaf said:
I’m still skeptical. I still haven’t seen any long distance tests of the Leaf Plus with multiple fast charges. I did see one video of test drive in Japan where battery temperature barely increased after a long drive and a subsequent fast charge.

Temperature data need to be reported using LeafSpy and not guessing from the Leaf's unlabeled temperature graph.
Besides the ambient temperature or temperature rise while charging, the battery's temperature rise is also determined
by battery current to the motor, i.e. the vehicle's speed, the external/internal vehicle load (terrain/wind/passengers),
while driving. The battery temperature rise while driving or charging results from the average driving/charging current
and the length of time driving/charging. Remember, the power loss (battery heat) from driving or charging is equal the
battery current squared times the battery resistance (I^2 X R). Without a battery temperature management system (TMS),
the Leaf 's battery is very venerable to degradation the result of excessive internal heat generation (charging/driving),
notwithstanding the additional problems from high ambient temperatures. The battery temperature rises more quickly
from internal heat generation than it does from a rise in the ambient temperature. As a result, one needs to monitor
the Leaf's battery temperature often, given a lack of TMS.

WetEV said:
lorenfb said:
As a result, one needs to monitor the Leaf's battery temperature often, given a lack of TMS.

When driving long distances with multiple QC, yes.

Otherwise, no.

Really? Do you have a 40 kWh or a 60 kWh Leaf and driven either where the motor is heavily loaded? Don't think so!
Naive comments aren't helpful to Leaf owners.

Given the peak motor/battery currents of the 40/60 kWh Leafs, problematic battery heating can occur especially when not in ECO mode:

LeafData_zps6rjgmgq2.jpg

lorenfb said:
WetEV said:
lorenfb said:
As a result, one needs to monitor the Leaf's battery temperature often, given a lack of TMS.

Otherwise, no.

Really? Do you have a 40 kWh or a 60 kWh Leaf and driven either where the motor is heavily loaded? Don't think so!

Given the peak motor/battery currents of the 40/60 kWh Leafs, problematic battery heating can occur especially when not in ECO mode:

LeafData_zps6rjgmgq2.jpg

FUD isn't helpful.

Can occur? Sure.

https://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives-fun/drives/touristenfahrten/green-hell-driving-days.html

Even Tesla's Model S doesn't have the battery cooling to stand up to a full speed lap.

But if your driving is mostly 0-50kpm, and/or steady cruising at 105kpm, then why would you care?

WetEV said:
lorenfb said:
WetEV said:

Otherwise, no.

LeafData_zps6rjgmgq2.jpg

FUD isn't helpful.

Can occur? Sure.

https://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives-fun/drives/touristenfahrten/green-hell-driving-days.html

Even Tesla's Model S doesn't have the battery cooling to stand up to a full speed lap.

But if your driving is mostly 0-50kpm, and/or steady cruising at 105kpm, then why would you care?

Having a problem relating the posted data (peak battery current & battery resistance) to potentially higher battery temperatures
(Battery Heat column) for the higher capacity batteries/higher motor outputs for the 40/62 kWh Leafs?

Ignoring your unrealistic scenarios, you at least have some understanding, many new to the Leaf don't. Those that own a BEV
with TMS, e.g. Bolt/Tesla, don't need to be as concerned when driving more aggressively and/or with a high ambient temperature.

lorenfb said:
WetEV said:
lorenfb said:

LeafData_zps6rjgmgq2.jpg

FUD isn't helpful.

Can occur? Sure.

Having a problem relating the posted data (peak battery current & battery resistance) to potentially higher battery temperatures
(Battery Heat column) for the higher capacity batteries/higher motor outputs for the 40/62 kWh Leafs?

Ignoring your unrealistic scenarios, you at least have some understanding, many new to the Leaf don't. Those that own a BEV
with TMS, e.g. Bolt/Tesla, don't need to be as concerned when driving more aggressively and/or with a high ambient temperature.

Driving at in town speeds, and freeway cruising are "unrealistic scenarios"?

Yet perhaps we agree. If you want a sports car, buy a sports car. If you want to drive a LEAF like it was a sports car, then watching your battery temperature is a prudent thing to do. As it would be prudent to watching battery temperature with a sports car rather than a LEAF. Same thing for long drives with multiple QCs, and with mountain driving.

WetEV said:

Driving at in town speeds, and freeway cruising are "unrealistic scenarios"?

Yet perhaps we agree. If you want a sports car, buy a sports car. If you want to drive a LEAF like it was a sports car, then watching your battery temperature is a prudent thing to do. As it would be prudent to watching battery temperature with a sports car rather than a LEAF. Same thing for long drives with multiple QCs, and with mountain driving.

Given the acceleration of a BEV and those new to driving one, some may attempt to emulate your "unrealistic scenario" link
on a twisty road with a new Leaf like the Porsche 919 hybrid;

https://www.motor1.com/news/250680/porsche-919-nurburgring-record-video/

Yes, conservative driving a Leaf is not problematic, e.g. I rarely go over 50 - 55 MPH.

I’m kinda late to this, but any update on how or if you settled on selling your Leaf? I hear mixed reviews on Carvana. I’ve had luck selling ICE vehicles on Facebook Marketplace.

Back