Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 more sites are open, making 15 for the month and 150 total (in less than 1 year from opening the first): (Midtown) Sacramento, CA (Jct. U.S. 50/Bus. 80); San Antonio, TX (N. of Jct. I-35/410 & E. of U.S. 281); Independence, MO (nr. Jct. I-70/470/S.R. 291).

San Antonio and Independence close gaps in I-10 and I-70, respectively.

I would recommend that all leaf owners frequent the EA stations. We want demand to drive more chademos. EA will need to self fund eventually, so demand will drive connector availability.

GRA said:
There are 300 high-power QC sites in Cycle 1, not 484

Incorrect. From their press release on 2/13/19:
Electrify America’s progress includes:
• 105 charging sites with 465 chargers operational and open to the public;
• An additional 42 charging sites with 189 chargers which have been constructed and
waiting to be energized by utility companies;
• An additional 85 charging sites with 393 chargers in active construction;
• An additional 73 charging sites and 341 chargers with approved permits scheduled for
construction; and
• An additional 179 charging sites in design and engineering;
• Total of 484 charging sites secured for Cycle 1.

https://elam-cms-assets.s3.amazonaw...n 100 Charging Site Operational 2.13.2019.pdf

I hope this isn’t a typo. PlugShare expanded info on a station west of Iowa City on I-80 shows 4 Chademo and 4 CCS. I’ll be there in a couple weeks, driving from Colorado. I’ll post a report.

Leaf3540 said:
I hope this isn’t a typo. PlugShare expanded info on a station west of Iowa City on I-80 shows 4 Chademo and 4 CCS. I’ll be there in a couple weeks, driving from Colorado. I’ll post a report.
This is important for other drivers. I just visited a "Coming Soon" location to gauge progress. It is a mile from my sisters house on the border of round trip range for the Bolt, so it would be a handy stop.

T0914 Target Rancho Santa Margarita
30602 Santa Margarita Parkway
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger

Unfortunately no sign of construction at all, so it may be a while before it opens.

Thanks to GRA for his postings on EA site progress.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:
There are 300 high-power QC sites in Cycle 1, not 484

Incorrect. From their press release on 2/13/19:
Electrify America’s progress includes:
• 105 charging sites with 465 chargers operational and open to the public;
• An additional 42 charging sites with 189 chargers which have been constructed and
waiting to be energized by utility companies;
• An additional 85 charging sites with 393 chargers in active construction;
• An additional 73 charging sites and 341 chargers with approved permits scheduled for
construction; and
• An additional 179 charging sites in design and engineering;
• Total of 484 charging sites secured for Cycle 1.

https://elam-cms-assets.s3.amazonaw...n 100 Charging Site Operational 2.13.2019.pdf
From the "National ZEV Investment Plan, Cycle 1", (4/9/17): https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2017-04/documents/nationalzevinvestmentplan.pdf

Pg. 4-5:
Charging stations will be located first in the areas with the highest anticipated ZEV
demand; this is based on the forecast penetration rates of ZEVs in each region and the
estimated gap between the supply and demand of charging infrastructure in those regions. In
aggregate, the Electrify America first cycle investment will aim to establish a network of
approximately 2500+ non-proprietary chargers across 450+ individual stations.

Electrify America stations will be designed to provide access by supporting multiple nonproprietary
and interoperable charging technologies to meet different needs. Level 2 AC
charging (L2) with universally accepted J1772 connectors will serve charging at long dwell-time
locations. 50+ kW Direct Current (DC) fast charging will serve ZEV needs in shorter dwell time
situations and along highway corridors, utilizing non-proprietary charging standards (CCS and
CHAdeMO)
. , . .

Within selected metros, Electrify America plans to build 300+ stations across five major
use cases (multi-family homes, workplace, commercial/retail, community, and municipal
lots/garages)
. In order to maximize the effectiveness of the network, it is important to focus on
a variety of use cases. According to an NREL report from Jan. 2017, workplace and public
charging have both been shown to significantly increase fleet-wide electric vehicle miles
traveled [Wood et al., 2017], consistent with the overall goals of Electrify America. A
deployment mix of AC L2, DC 50 kW, and DC 150+ kW chargers will be offered across these use
cases
to help best meet the anticipated needs of ZEV drivers.
Pg. 6:
A high-speed highway network (approximately $190 million in capex) . . . .

Electrify America will build a long distance high speed highway network consisting of
charging stations along high-traffic corridors between metropolitan areas and across the
country, with an initial target of approximately 240 highway sites installed or under
development
by the end of the first cycle, more than 150 of which are expected to be
completed
. These highway sites will be present in 39 U.S. states with higher anticipated ZEV
average annual daily traffic (AADT, a Department of Transportation measure of road traffic
density on an annual basis) by 2020. The sites will be located on prominent U.S. interstates and
highways, and they have high correlation with the recently-announced EV Charging Corridors
[Alternative Fuels Corridors 2017]. Sites will be, on average, about 66 miles apart, with no more
than 120 miles between stations, meaning many shorter range ZEVs available today will be able
to use this network. . . .

In order to accommodate the call for faster charging reflected in public comments, the
chargers deployed will represent state-of-the-art technology with the fastest charging speeds
available. Stations will focus on 150 kW and some 320 kW DC fast chargers, which will also be
capable of charging 50 kW capable vehicles at a lower power level.2
Pg. 8:
Preliminary milestones for the network construction progress are shown in Table 1. Site
development for the first Electrify America stations will begin in Q2 2017, with development
initiated for all stations by Q2 2018. These first stations are expected to be completed and
operational for local community charging in Q3 2017 and for highway charging in Q2 2018.
Given long lead times in terms of site acquisition and permitting processes, the majority of the
stations are expected to be completed near the end of the 30 month cycle, from fewer than
approximately 150-200 operational stations in Q2 2018 to 450+ stations by the end of Q2 2019.
Pg. 17:
  • ZEV charging infrastructure: Electrify America will focus on two primary areas for
    infrastructure investment: long-distance highway chargers and community-based
    metropolitan chargers. An overview of these investments is provided in Table 2.
    Long-distance highway network / Community-based metro network
    Number of stations 240* / 300+
    Primary technologies 320 kW and 150 kW / 150 kW, 50 kW, and L2
    Number of highways/metros ~35 highways across the US / 11 metro areas across the US
    Approximate spend $190 million / $40 million
As we know, the number of high-speed QC sites was subsequently increased to 300 open or under development by the end of Cycle 1 (6/30/19), all are 150+kW, and "320 kW" was upped to 350kW. I didn't reproduce Table 1, but it includes all the sites, not just the high-speed QCs. I did my best to reproduce the numbers for Table 2.

Leaf3540 said:
EA's own list shows that site (Williamsburg, IA) as 3 CCS/1CHAdeMO.

GetOffYourGas said:
I’m sorry but I quoted a press release from 2 months ago and you respond with a flurry of quotes from their plan published 2 years ago.
Because the initial plan distinguishes between all the types of sites they planned to build, which included both the high-speed QC sites and the various local types (MUDs/workplace L2) - the more recent press release doesn't do that, just lumps them all together.

OBTW, here's another report from 5/10/18, which also dis-aggregates the intended Cycle 1 HPQC and local charging sites (California only in this case):
First Quarter 2018 Report to the
California Air Resources Board
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/si...e-files/Q1 2018 Report Public May 10 2018.pdf

It's possible I'm misreading all of this, but I don't think so. For those who are interested, here's EA's
National ZEV Investment Plan:
Cycle 2
Public Version – February 4, 2019
https://elam-cms-assets.s3.amazonaw...l ZEV Investment Plan - Public Version vF.pdf

which indicates a shift away from L2 for local charging sites and a move towards 150kW QCs for same instead in Cycle 2, with the highway HPQC sites offering 150/350kW.

GRA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
I’m sorry but I quoted a press release from 2 months ago and you respond with a flurry of quotes from their plan published 2 years ago.
Because the initial plan distinguishes between all the types of sites they planned to build, which included both the high-speed QC sites and the various local types (MUDs/workplace L2) - the more recent press release doesn't do that, just lumps them all together.

Thank you for finally writing out your point. I'm not trying to be obstinate, but I did not get that from your posting of a string of quotes.

EA's own list shows that site (Williamsburg, IA) as 3 CCS/1CHAdeMO
Rats,
I figured this was too good to be true.
Thanks for the info.

GetOffYourGas said:
Thank you for finally writing out your point. I'm not trying to be obstinate, but I did not get that from your posting of a string of quotes.
No worries. I forget sometimes that all the info floating around in my head as background isn't necessarily floating around in anyone else's, or with the same arrangement! :D

Clarksville, AR (Jct. I-40/S.R. 103) is open, #16 for the month and #151 total.

Leaf3540 said:

Its wrong. Plugshare is not accurate until just before activation. It will change to one Chademo and 4 CCS which is not correct either since the one chademo and one of the CCS is a single station.

Two more sites have opened, making 18 for the month and 153 total: Joliet, IL (I-80 east of I-55); Glenview, IL (Midway btwn. I-94/294, N. of Chicago).

Joliet was much needed, as it closes the gap on I-80 between Geneseo (113 miles W.) and Mishawaka (111 miles E.). Glenview serves people heading N or NW of Chicago to Milwaukee, Madison etc.

GRA said:
Two more sites have opened, making 18 for the month and 153 total: Joliet, IL (I-80 east of I-55); Glenview, IL (Midway btwn. I-94/294, N. of Chicago).

Joliet was much needed, as it closes the gap on I-80 between Geneseo (113 miles W.) and Mishawaka (111 miles E.). Glenview serves people heading N or NW of Chicago to Milwaukee, Madison etc.

Can you post list of sites pending or provide link?

EA's coming soon map seems to be down at the moment, but if you go to their site, click on "locate a charger", then on the 'three slide bar' icon in the upper left, below that a box will open that shows "Status", and below it, "Connectors". Uncheck the "Site is Live" box and then zoom the map out all the way; note that the response is often slow, so it may take a while.

Alternatively, if you want to view all the individual sites on the full country map, go to plugshare, click on the three horizontal lines option box in the upper left, then click on :"Toggle All" in the "Plugs" section below to turn them all off, click in the upper right of the CCS/SAE and if you want, CHAdeMO boxes to turn those back on, then scroll down a little further to the "Networks" section, click "Toggle All" again to turn them all off, then click in the upper right of the "Electrify America" box to turn that on. The map will show all open and known under construction EA sites, but not necessarily all the ones on EA's list of "Coming soon". OTOH, it sometimes shows sites that aren't on EA's "Coming soon" list, i.e. stealth sites.

One more site has opened (EA's site map grouping keeps changing, and is making it hard to total them all up), #19 for the month and #154 total: Walterboro, SC (Jct. I-95/S.R. 64). This shortens the I-95 leg between Florence, SC (105 Miles N.) and Pooler, GA (67 miles S.).

GCC:
Electrify America collaborating with nine additional companies to host more than 30 ultra-fast electric vehicle charging stations
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/04/20190425-ea.html

. . . Electrify America’s charging stations will be installed at a variety of locations including leading grocery chains Kroger and The Save Mart Companies; real estate investment trusts (REIT) including Federal Realty Investment Trust, Fulcrum Property, ShopCore Properties, ValueRock Realty Partners, The Macerich Company and Washington Prime Group; and Pan-Cal Corporation, a real estate development and investment company.

More than 20 of the new charging sites will be located in California. Other charging sites will be built at locations in six additional states including Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Virginia and Washington.

Electrify America plans to install or have under development 484 charging station sites featuring more than 2,000 ultra-fast chargers by July 2019.

In the first two phases of the company’s investments ending December 31, 2021, Electrify America’s DC fast charging stations are expected to be located in 29 metro areas, along high-traffic corridors in 46 states including the District of Columbia and two cross-country routes. . . .

Back