Economics of Renewable Power, simplified.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
Oilpan4 said:
Prior to widespread vaccination in the USA from the mid 1960s about 500 people died a year, and up to 10% of vulnerable groups (IIRC) suffered complications. In the larger scheme of things, Measles cannot compare to say AGW.
Hard to argue with that.

But one of my concerns, at the individual level, is that an anti-vaxxer proselytizer seems to be much more contagious/virulent than an anti-AGW proselytizer.

But one of my concerns, at the individual level, is that an anti-vaxxer proselytizer seems to be much more contagious/virulent than an anti-AGW proselytizer.

That's because there is no real evidence that we haven't caused AGW, but there is solid evidence that pharmacological companies have, in the past, produced dangerous vaccines. They don't appear to have been dangerous in the way the anti-vaccination people think, but there was smoke, even if from a different fire. The motivation behind not believing in AGW is the ingrained desire to believe that we do the right things in our daily lives, not the most dangerous worst things...

iplug said:
SageBrush said:
Prior to widespread vaccination in the USA from the mid 1960s about 500 people died a year, and up to 10% of vulnerable groups (IIRC) suffered complications. In the larger scheme of things, Measles cannot compare to say AGW.
Hard to argue with that.

Measles is not going to put society at risk. I wish I could say the same for AGW
Please don't take my comment as anything but 100% support for vaccinations. I was just pointing out the difference in scale of the effects.

By the way, have you ever met a physician who does not encourage vaccinations ? I have not, and that probably covers a few hundred colleagues.

SageBrush said:
iplug said:
SageBrush said:
Hard to argue with that.

Measles is not going to put society at risk. I wish I could say the same for AGW
Please don't take my comment as anything but 100% support for vaccinations. I was just pointing out the difference in scale of the effects.

By the way, have you ever met a physician who does not encourage vaccinations ? I have not, and that probably covers a few hundred colleagues.
Agree with AGW>>anti-vaxxer risks to society.

No, have also met hundreds of other physicians and not one anything but pro-vaccination. The funny thing is that many of them are dispassionate, not easily stirred to defending any particular causes. But the one thing that will often rile them up is the anti-vaxxer stuff.

iPlug said:
But the one thing that will often rile them up is the anti-vaxxer stuff.
Interesting observation, one I had not considered but agree with now that you mention it.

Perhaps because of the areas I worked in, I am more familiar with physician angst over domestic and child abuse. In some ways the anger has the same origin since physicians find harm to innocents to be particularly offensive.

WetEV said:
Who is getting measles? Unvaccinated kids, mostly.

Where are measles outbreaks happening? Where the vaccination rate is low.

https://www.clark.wa.gov/public-health/measles-investigation

73 cases.

63 not vaccinated.

7 claimed to be vaccinated, but no record of vaccination could be located by Health Department.

3 had one of the two recommended doses.

0 had both recommended doses.

The vast majority of cases in the not vaccinated.

The local low vaccination rate was a concern before the outbreak.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2017/may/08/county-school-immunization-rate-lags-behind-state/

Oh, and what does this have to do with "Economics of Renewable Power"?

Some economics from John Oliver and Bill Nye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDcro7dPqpA&feature=youtu.be

Not quite safe for work due to profanity.

Bill Nye said:
I’ve got an experiment for you. Safety glasses on.

By the end of this century, if emissions keep rising the average temperature on Earth could go up another 4 to 8 degrees. What I’m saying is, the planet’s on fucking fire.

There are a lot of things we could do to put it out. Are any of them free?

No, of course not, nothing’s free you idiots! Grow the f___ up. You’re not children any more. I didn’t mind explaining photosynthesis to you when you were 12. But you’re adults now, and this is an actual crisis, got it?

Safety glasses off, ___.

Back